Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Map of the Free Cities

15 years after AGoT first came out, we finally get to see where Braavos and Pentos are, thanks to this map from HBO:

It's not the full Free Cities (Volantis is off the south-eastern edge, Lorath isn't marked and Norvos and Qohor also appear to be missing or off the edge of the map east of Pentos) but the first canon map of the coastline.

I definitely am glad to finally have a map of this area, but I'm more looking forward to the one that will accompany DANCE. That one will hopefully have more of the continent of Essos.

Where did you get this? I thought I visited all the Ice and Fire news sources there were but apparently not if I missed this.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside30x View Post
    I definitely am glad to finally have a map of this area, but I'm more looking forward to the one that will accompany DANCE. That one will hopefully have more of the continent of Essos.

Where did you get this? I thought I visited all the Ice and Fire news sources there were but apparently not if I missed this.
    It leaked last night. Part of a very cool website that provides profiles on the Houses, the main characters, and an interactive map (when you highlight an episode synopsis, the map zooms to the right area). It wasn't actually ready yet, so they've removed it for now.

Here are the new maps from ADwD:

The Free Cities

Valyria

Beyond The Wall

Amazing, looks a bit like our world, I wonder if the part of Sothyros shown has pyramids

Ghiscar has pyramids (though of the Babylonian variety). The Zamettar region looks a little like Egypt, but if so it has little similar relevance. Ghis, Valyria and Andalos (the home of the Andals) are the ancient homes of human civilisation in the ASoIaF world.

A larger and more speculative map.

I didn't know that the Summer Isles and Ibben are so isolated

too weird map

Good God, the sheer size of the Dothraki Sea always staggers me. No wonder they're so keen on horses.

Does this world really work, in terms of its climate making sense? It looks like Mediterranean Braavos and chilly Winterfell aren't very distant in terms of latitude, which seems odd.

One of my favourite ASoIaF maps - I love the mediaeval feel to this one, very appropriate.
    Last edited by kged; July 1st, 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Silly me - Braavosi = people. BRAAVOS = place.

Is Braavos really Mediterranean? I think people got side-tracked by the canals, which immediately screams Venice, whilst I've always seen Braavos as much more like Amsterdam: great in the summer but biting cold in the winter.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Is Braavos really Mediterranean? I think people got side-tracked by the canals, which immediately screams Venice, whilst I've always seen Braavos as much more like Amsterdam: great in the summer but biting cold in the winter.
    The language/accent seems to be Mediterranean, based on the show and the names of Braavosi characters. Much more Mediterranean than Dutch, anyway.

But I always imagined the city as a perfect blend between Amsterdam and Venice.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    One of my favourite ASoIaF maps - I love the mediaeval feel to this one, very appropriate.
    that's... amazing.

first post.

Is there a site that has the maps in sections that can be printed out and put together to show the whole world?

Someone did that for Middle Earth, and it'd be super cool awesome if there was something similar for this world.

No, because in October Bantam are publishing The Lands of Ice and Fire, which is a collection of large poster maps showing the entire known world (many areas canonically for the first time).

HBO has released the following map, but it should be noted that GRRM has since re-envisioned the entire Jade Sea/Qarth/Far East region. So this map is canon for the books only up to the Red Waste or so. Past that it's all been changed. The new version will appear in The Lands of Ice and Fire, a map collection due out in October.

Last edited by Werthead; April 9th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.