Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIP Ray Bradbury

Passed away today at the ripe old age of 91. Lived long enough to see some of the future he imagined come true, even if we never did meet the Martians.

"Stuff your eyes with wonder ... live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."

One of the best literary writers SF ever produced. Very sad.

He was one of the greats, and he dignified the genre by giving it literary quality.

I just noticed he was born the same year as Isaac Asimov, although he lived longer.

Rest In Peace.

I had just seen this at Yahoo! What a sad day. And yet, Mr. Bradbury gave us all hours of thoughtful pleasure. That seems like a great legacy.

Randy M.

One of the first authors I can remember reading when I was a boy. RIP

Life is fantastic, yes? CMTheAuthor's Avatar
    My condolences to his family. He was truly an extraordinary man, and a great writer.

R.I.P. Bradbury. The world of fiction is poorer without one of its true masters.

If only we could all live to 91. RIP, Ray.

His legacy will live on.. R.I.P Mr.Bradbury

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sad news this. Been expecting it for a while myself, but still very sad and a major loss to the community.

Am busy writing an Obituary for SFFWorld. Will put up later.

This thread was in SF, and quite rightly so.

However, for the sake of clarity I'm going to reduce this to one thread.

Though this thread was first in SF, Bradbury's work straddles the genres.

As there's more traffic in Fantasy, (and not because Ray said he only ever wrote one SF novel ). I'm moving it to there.

Thanks all.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    I'm very crushed by this news. Recovery will take some time. I have found memories of him, and still have his correspondence from 1988, via the SFWA contact.

Wow. I have to confess I had no idea he was still alive, but... still. Bradbury is a very important name in genre works (particularly the more literary works, yes?), and he will continue to be so.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Obituary for SFFWorld HERE.

Not sure it does the man justice, but it does at least give a flavour of the man's work.

Off to go read some stories. Or perhaps Something Wicked This Way Comes, one of my favourites.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; June 6th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Mark

Goodbye Ray, you left us with so many memories and we appreciate the effort you put into every story. R.I.P.

“Everyone must leave something behind when he dies. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there.

It doesn't matter what you do, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.”

― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

R.I.P. Thanks for the words.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    “You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”― Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing