Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in June 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Mark
    Mark

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.
    Mark
    Not June yet!! Although I won't finish what I'm reading now in the next 7 hours ;-(

Sir Pratchett's Snuff.

Heard very little good about it, but the first 30-40 pages haven't been too bad so far.

I read the Harry Dresden short story, "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot", from the Blood Lite III: Aftertaste anthology. It was quick and a fine story for being so short (about 35 pages). I was definitely impressed by Butcher's grammar and sentence composition, he has come quite a long way since he began writing about Harry. It was impossible to tell exactly when this story takes place, so for those looking for any hints/insight as to the current status quo in the series, this won't answer them. This story will be compiled later in a "Side Jobs 2" TDF Anthology, but that may be years from now, so I just went ahead and bought it. I'm glad to have read it, and think that it will be enjoyable to most fans of Harry, but again with the caveat that because it is so short it may not be fulfilling.

I also read the second book, called Cursed in the Alex Verus UF series, written by Benedict Jacka. I found this installment to be rather similar to the first, though ultimately not quite as good. It's definitely a natural continuation of book one, with the characters and events picking up in an organic way from where that book left off. But they didn't feel quite as fresh here (at least imo) and I didn't feel that the thriller and mystery aspects to this book were as unpredictable or gripping as they were in the first novel. Ultimately, I'd say that I was entertained about 10-15% less than in the debut. That's still enough for me to try book three when it comes out in the Fall, but I'm hopeful that that'll be an improvement over this one, if it's not, I may well stop reading the series at that time. For those who weren't fans of book one (Hi Hobbit) then I would definitely recommend avoiding this follow up.

Dresden Files - Dead Beat

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Finished the 5th Fafhrd and Grey Mouser book - Swords of Lankhmar. The first novel length adventure, after 4 collections of novellas and short stories. Took me awhile to get up to speed after a less impressive start, but the end wasquite spectacular. Funnier than previous volumes, with more space for secondary characters. One of the highlights for me was the love interest for the two scoundrels: I can't decide which made me laugh more : Fafhrd becoming romantically interested in a skeleton, or Mouser trying too woo a rat lady?

Blog Entries
    For those who weren't fans of book one (Hi Hobbit) then I would definitely recommend avoiding this follow up.
    Thanks, Amethyst. I'm still of the mind that they're not necessarily bad books, but perhaps not for me. On another day, at another time, I might feel better about it.

I preferred the MLN Hanover, Unclean Spirits, actually, (Daniel Abraham in yet another guise) though it wasn't the best urban fantasy I've ever read.

Not June yet!!
    Yeah. We tend to run on Greenwich Mean time with this, so that our Members in Australia/New Zealand/Asia don't feel we're too far behind the time and it's also open for when our US members catch up. time-wise. One of the fun things about a global website.

Back to topic: currently reading Robin Hobb's/Megan Lindholm's The Inheritance for a magazine review. Read a few of the stories before but its good to reread them again.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thanks, Amethyst. I'm still of the mind that they're not necessarily bad books, but perhaps not for me. On another day, at another time, I might feel better about it.
    No worries. Maybe you'll get a chance to try them again, but as you say, it sounds at least equally likely that the series just isn't the best fit for you.

I preferred the MLN Hanover, Unclean Spirits, actually, (Daniel Abraham in yet another guise) though it wasn't the best urban fantasy I've ever read.
    After the initial volume of Long Price Quartet I have a deep reluctance to try his work again. I do have the second volume, and promised that I would get to it, er, sometime this decade, but I'm not in any rush. He seems like an author who may not be the best fit for me. Though it's always possible that I might appreciate him more with a different series.

Blog Entries
    After the initial volume of Long Price Quartet I have a deep reluctance to try his work again. I do have the second volume, and promised that I would get to it, er, sometime this decade, but I'm not in any rush. He seems like an author who may not be the best fit for me. Though it's always possible that I might appreciate him more with a different series.
    Does sound like Daniel Abraham may be your equivalent of my Benedict Jacka.

Mark
    Mark

Read interesting books
    As mentioned earlier, Black Bottle by Anthony Huso (sequel to The Last Page which i really loved) arrived unexpectedly yesterday and i was very excited, but I seem not to connect with it for now; the writing is actually captivating for most of the time, but so far I couldn't care less for the content and the jargon which has transformed from charming and interesting in The Last Page to very boring and annoying here; we'll see but I am tempted to give it my "browse random pages every now and then and read the ending" treatment to see if it hooks me anywhere and forget it if not...

A couple of days ago I finished The Bonehunters [The Malazan Book of the Fallen #6] by Steven Erikson. Excellent read. I read it very slow but it is like I live with the characters.
    Immediately after started the next, Reaper's Gale.

New month, new book Thief's Covenant by Ari Marmell

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    New month, new book Thief's Covenant by Ari Marmell
    Enjoy - it's really good.

Finished A Darkness at Sethanon by Feist yesterday. I started reading The Blade Itself by Abercrombie this morning. I'm only a couple chapters in, but it seems good so far.

Just finished Caine Black Knife, will be moving on to Caine's Law shortly.