Help me identify a piece of artwork, artist

Okay, this isn't a piece of fiction I.D., it's a work of fantasy art. It was a painting put out very widely as a framed and poster print in the 1980's. It's called "The Citadel." I've had it forever, but I don't know who the artist is. The picture fits in a drawn circle. There's a blue colored (snow) mountain range in the background with a nighttime sky and a small orange moon, then a line of volcanic fire (with volcanic lava rocks in the bottom foreground.) A brown stone, fairy taleish castle with many turrets is perched on the back of a giant human figure made of stones on a green patch of ground. In the lower left corner, a red and blue winged dragon perches and spits a jet of flame toward the stone man hill. In style, it's a bit Whelan-like, but not necessarily his.

I've tried to do several Internet searches, but had no luck. If anyone knows whose picture it is, let me know.

Uh, Moderator
    Do you have a smartphone? You could try using Google Goggles.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Is this the one? If so, its Jim Kirwan.

Last edited by PeterWilliam; July 4th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Yes, that's it exactly! Thanks, Peter.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Yes, that's it exactly! Thanks, Peter.
    No problem. I was lucky enough to hit on it, using the clues you gave. I found Kirwan's gallery online and he seems to use that large centered circle a lot. An interesting style.

I also went to his site, and discovered that one of his paintings of a unicorn was also used in a unicorn themed calendar I was given (hey, I was 12.) It's also in a circle, so yeah, I think that was his thing. But he also has a number of different pieces I like. But I love the stone man in Citadel, and so have kept it. It's nice to know who the artist is -- I tried some searches, but couldn't nail it.