Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    Gief themez now plz

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fine, fine, keep your shorts on.

Okay, here they are. Oh, you all will hate me. They are rather anti-climatic. Probably like the end of the world will be like, you know? We think it'll be something big. Something mind-shattering. But what if we just go out with a fizzle? You know what I mean?

Ready?

Maybe I should wait...

Earth - Wind - Fire

You can interpret those as you see fit, whatever genre.

So, for the first, the end of the world comes about through some earth related disaster. Like:
    • massive earthquakes
    • a renewal of volcanic activity due to us messing with the core or something
    • meteorites smashing into us
    • or??

For the second, wind, the end of the world comes about through some meteorological related disaster:
    • a massive, rapid ice age
    • a thinning atmosphere for whatever reason (ozone layer is shot, etc)
    • a wizard has a massive fart
    • or??

For the third, fire, the end of the world comes about through some fire or war related disaster:
    • fire breathing dragons are created in someone cobbling together winged dinosaurs and something, creating intelligent, fire breathing minions!
    • nuclear Armageddon
    • a wizard puts a match to his rear end just as he is about to fart
    • or??

I hope that sparks the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post

Actually, May 1st, 2012, but I'll probably announce the first contest theme over the weekend.
    No Nila,
    HE means he'll have all his done by May 5th... you know how he works.

Hey, (I'm making a joke here) If the stories are post apocalyptic, shouldn't the book be entitled After the End? (cool cover art, by the way.)

It's very good of you to get this going, TMSO. Quite a challenge, good luck with it. I'm off to read some Gamma World rulebooks, now. Or watch a few Van Damme movies.

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    ....[*]a wizard has a massive fart
    ...[*]a wizard puts a match to his rear end just as he is about to fart
    I hope that sparks the imagination.
    Wow! Just Wow! I love those!

You forgot this one though
    [*]a wizard is about to have a massive fart so pounds earth into his ass and explodes
    Last edited by kennychaffin; April 26th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txshusker View Post
    HE means he'll have all his done by May 5th... you know how he works.
    Ha! You are right.

Quote Originally Posted by txshusker View Post
    Hey, (I'm making a joke here) If the stories are post apocalyptic, shouldn't the book be entitled After the End?
    That's open to what you all come up with. I like the idea of post-apocalyptic because I think the stories can expand more. But you are more than welcome to start your story right before the The End, during The End, or sometime (but not too long) after The End.

I will leave it up to your collective muses.

[*]a wizard is about to have a massive fart so pounds earth into his ass and explodes
    But not that one, Kenny. Please...no...just don't.

I would certainly like to see all the themes now, but I assumed you decided to wait so that everyone had the same amount of time to write and submit. Either way, I support your decision.

Edit: oops, didn't see the second page to this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoninchina View Post
    I would certainly like to see all the themes now, but I assumed you decided to wait so that everyone had the same amount of time to write and submit. Either way, I support your decision.

Edit: oops, didn't see the second page to this.
    Thank you for your support, Jason.

Yes, that was initially the idea, but there it is. Do what you will with the themes. I hope to see some great stories out of you all since you now have all summer to come up with them.

Good luck to all.

Life is fantastic, yes? CMTheAuthor's Avatar
    Oh, I have such a good idea for the Earth theme. I can't wait to get started with it.

I might also end up helping tmso/N. E. White format this thing for Smashwords, so you can bet I'll be following the efforts of everyone else as well. Good luck to all!

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Looks as if I'm back at square one. Looking at the cover tmso posted, I wrote this: http://sffworld.com/community/story/4487p0.html. It was completed when I wrote my last post in this thread.

Blog Entries
    How, on earth, can you possible write that fast?

It's not a speed contest!!

(sigh)

I would have liked the special effects, if I lived (and if I wasn't one of the 666...hmmmm...)

For everyone else, take your time to think about what you want the reader to feel after they read your piece. Should they feel sad? Happy? Hopeful? Write something that makes us all feel something for the characters.

For HE, I expect a new, earth-shattering story submitted promptly on the 1st of May.

Blog Entries
    Well, you have to admire the enthusiasm, finishing a story before the contest even starts! That's a new one!

Blog Entries
    An excellent way of describing HE, norm. Enthusiastic. I'll have to remember that one.

By the way, the cover was picked prior to the themes. I suspect we'll keep it, unless it really doesn't represents the contents at all, and I was thinking of having three sections of the book for each theme with their own separate image. We'll see. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to hunt down starving artists to pester them to create something original for us.

And, yes, CM will be helping with the formatting. I have a list of minions already (all of whom will get mentioned (with links) in the anthology introduction).

Oh so very in.

Life is fantastic, yes? CMTheAuthor's Avatar
    I will point out that, due to their file size constraints, such images would probably have to be compressed to work with Smashwords. And I'm not sure how well the quality of the image will turn out, depending on the resolution involved. (I never did that sort of thing with my work.)

I'll try to look up some examples of how their compressed images look in the next few weeks. However, I'd be cautious about the idea until we get a better idea of how it would work out.

Blog Entries
    How, on earth, can you possible write that fast?

It's not a speed contest!!

(sigh)
    Unlike us poor souls he no longer works for a living. The lucky so and so is retired. He can play in the sandbox all day if he wants to. (jealous, moi, no... well, a bit )