Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I tried writing something funny once - it bombed! I love a tortured soul.

Fictional Mountain Man
    Oops. Shows how much I know about mayans and their calendars. Honestly if they had put more pictures of puppies in adorable situations I would probably pay more attention. Anyway, I think I have Earth and Wind figured out. Fire is going to be the tough one.

Blog Entries
    Quick question, NE. What are the "ratings" you're looking for with these? I don't plan on writing anything sexually or violently graphic (the former actually embarrasses me while I'm doing it and the latter always just seems gratuitous), but I've got a couple of characters who won't be believable without foul mouths, possibly even including a few f-bombs.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZimmer23 View Post
    What are the "ratings" you're looking for with these?
    That's a very good question. I did think about this, but didn't come up with an elegant solution.

This site is PG-13, or supposed to be, but that doesn't mean our anthology need be PG-13.

I'm okay with R-rated material in the anthology, but let's all stay within the spirit of this forum.

What say you all?

Blog Entries
    Works for me. I'll try to tone it down a little without breaking the spirit of certain characters. F-bombs may not be as common as I think, because I do work in a bar where I hear them all the time.

Should this be stickied?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfen View Post
    Should this be stickied?
    I'm gonna say no, right now. This forum has a lot of stickied posts already. I could move this over to the Stories sub-forum and sticky it there, but then it won't get as much traffic as it would out here.

As long as someone (me?) keeps posting, it will stay on the front page.

Okay, minions, you now officially have

40 days
    until Friday June 15 2012

And I may have an exciting announcement to make soon...stay tuned.

I'm in, and I've got my idea.

I didn't realize the site was PG-13. I've had an R-rated story or two posted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarunus View Post
    I didn't realize the site was PG-13. I've had an R-rated story or two posted.
    Over in the Stories Section (versus the Stories Sub-forum)?

I think it is a little different over there. We just like to keep the forums somewhere around PG-13. No one has complained about them, so I'm sure they are fine.

I have very exciting news to announce, but I'm waiting to hear back from someone for confirmation, but...but it will make this anthology SHINE! Oh! I might not be able to contain myself, but I'll try...

Anyway, you all have...

34 days
    until Friday June 15 2012

In.

I'm a little worried that my theme bends the rules a bit, but we'll see. If it's a no go here, I'm sure I'll find use for the story somewhere else.

Blog Entries
    Okay, everyone. Since someone just got scooped with their big announcement, I thought I'd scoop me, and beat myself to announcing my big announcement!

So, I mentioned somewhere in these threads that I wanted to do something special for the anthology. Something that would make it shine, and really make folks excited about reading it.

Mind you, it is not that I don't think you all can make it shine. I know you all can. I've read some great stories for each and every one of you. Stories that deserve to be seen by a wider audience. This is one reason I wanted to put this anthology together.

Anyway, it occurred to me that one way to attract readers to anthologies is to hook fans of published writers. It is an established approach among anthologies, and I thought, well, why not? Why not ask three forum members who are published to contribute some re-prints that fit the theme or even a new story? The worst they can say is no and we'd publish without them. So, I started asking...

And one of 'em said yes...

No, I don't have the names of the other two yet. I had wanted to announce all the authors at once, but I do have THE ONE that I'm really excited about. And I hope it will excite you, too.

HUGH HOWEY

Yes, that Hugh Howey that just sold the rights to his Wool series to RIDLEY SCOTT (yes, that Ridley Scott) and STEVE ZAILLIAN (yes, that Steve Zaillian) for a film option, yes, him, has agreed to submit a story to OUR anthology!!!!!!!!

(Did I use enough exclamation points?)

So, write from the heart. Grab inspiration from the sky. Polish those short stories. Because, dear gentle writer, you may find yourself published with Hugh Howey.

(In case you all don't remember, Hugh participated in one of our forum contests way back when. Here's the story he submitted about a couple of years ago.)
    Last edited by N. E. White; May 15th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarunus View Post
    In.

I'm a little worried that my theme bends the rules a bit, but we'll see. If it's a no go here, I'm sure I'll find use for the story somewhere else.
    Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading it.

I'm sure it fits the theme, but if not, then I will let your fellow writers/voters make that decision.

Life is fantastic, yes? CMTheAuthor's Avatar
    So Hugh Howey is participating in this one. No pressure, right?

Almost finished with my story, but still some work to be done. I should have plenty of time, unless tmso gets so excited by Hugh Howey she moves the deadline up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMTheAuthor View Post
    No pressure, right?
    My apologies. It was meant to inspire.

Please, take your time and enjoy the process of writing.

Life is fantastic, yes? CMTheAuthor's Avatar
    Note to self: Avoid using sarcasm emoticons when you don't know what they are. (Either that, or get SFFWorld to get a better emoticon for it, because it hardly looks sarcastic.)

Either way, I was joking, of course. I'm actually not all that familiar with Howey (I read a lot more fantasy than sci-fi), but it's nice to get someone well established in on this.