Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Drawback

Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    Suggestion for the next two rounds: I know you're trying to be as transparent as possible, but I wonder if three stories being so visibly ahead in the poll might make potential voters think, "Well, that's done, no real point in voting." It would mean more work for you, but maybe have people PM their votes to you? That way knowing how the voting is going wouldn't affect the voting itself.
    The problem with that is some people may feel that TMSO is just picking the stories herself and she could get the backlash. I feel we are ok for now. I always choose the ones I want weather they win or not. Usually, they are the ones that don't win. Just be honest and don't get into hype.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives View Post
    The problem with that is some people may feel that TMSO is just picking the stories herself and she could get the backlash.
    Ah, sensei, I thought of that. Simple solution: when I announce the winners, give a break down of the votes (whom voted for what). Everyone will know who they voted for, so they can easily check if I made an error. (Because, surely, it would never occur to anyone to question me. )

Tcha! Democracy, eh? What can you do?

"The people have spoken, the bastards."
    Dick Tuck, on loosing an election for the California State Senate in 1966

Blog Entries

illustration

May have something for your interior illustration soon. I send you a sample but it will be getting tweaked yet.

Life is fantastic, yes? CMTheAuthor's Avatar
    While I suppose I ought to be happier now that we have 12 voters...I'm not, because it looks like two of them just voted for one story each. (I did the math, and the numbers don't add up.)

It seems that the universe is out to make me lack confidence in the results of this vote. People not following the voting instructions makes me a sad panda. This is very weird, because I wasn't a panda to begin with.

Count me in on supporting the vote by message idea, since that will prevent this little issue from happening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives View Post
    May have something for your interior illustration soon. I send you a sample but it will be getting tweaked yet.
    Excellent! Looking forward to it.

@ CM - yes, I'm afraid that something odd is going on.

I'm not sure how to address it.

I set the poll for anonymous voting, but it means that no one, me included, can see who voted for what. Let me check with some of the tech savvy mods if there is a way for me to get at that information. Whatever I find out won't invalidate a member's vote (up to three), but any votes beyond that will have to be culled.

I don't think there is any foul play, but members from other parts of the forum might not be used to our voting process. No worries all, I'll figure this out!

Blog Entries
    I'm proud to announce the winners of our first contest for the 2012 The End Anthology!

Relapse by norm
    With a total vote of 9, norm's surreal tale won the hearts of many.

Empty Nest by DailyRich
    With a total vote of 6, RailyRich's whimsical tale of the earth going on retirement will add some levity to what might become a depressing anthology!

Fly the Moon to Me by MrBF1V3
    With a total vote of 6, MrBF1V3's story of dastardly deeds is clever and fun. For the title alone, it deserves a spot in the anthology.

To all who entered and were not picked for this round, I hope to see you submit a story for the second and/or third round of contests! I look forward to reading more stories about the end of the world.

(FYI - I will delete all the contest threads in one week. If you want a record of any feedback you received, please copy the html pages to your local hard drive. Thanks.)

Blog Entries

Open to Submissions for the Wind Contest

The second of three contests for 'The End' anthology is now open for submissions. Your stories must be apocalyptic in nature (immediately pre-, during, and post- is appropriate but the closer to the event the better) and somehow involve a wind-related disaster. Stories can be in the science fiction/fantasy genre of your choice.

Submissions will be accepted from June 1st, 2012 until August 15th, 2012. Stories must be within 2,000 and 5,000 words. Please submit in .doc, .rtf, or .gdoc format to nilaewhite (at) gmail (dot) com.

EDIT: please optimize the formatting of your submissions for this forum (i.e., use the appropriate tags for centering lines, and bold or italic font).

Submissions will be posted for reading on August 16th, 2012 in the Stories sub-forum.

NOTE: new voting procedures.

Voting will be conducted via PM (private messaging) on this forum from August 16th, 2012 to August 31st, 2012. Once you have read (or tried to read) the stories, submit your top three choices (you may include your own story in your list) directly to me. I will tally and present the votes on September 1st.

If you have any questions, please ask here or contact me through the private messaging system on this forum or via email: nilaewhite (at) gmail (dot) com.

Good luck and happy writing to all.
    Last edited by N. E. White; July 1st, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Congratulations guys.

Tmso, are you going to reveal who wrote what other than these three?

I have an idea for competition number two but no story yet.

EDIT:
    (you may include your own story in your list)
    NOW, you tell me! :-)
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; July 1st, 2012 at 05:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    wind-related disaster.
    This wouldn't have anything to do with the morning after a curry and beer night would it?

Blog Entries

Clarification on the "Wind" Theme

Here's what I original posted about the themes.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Earth - Wind - Fire

You can interpret those as you see fit, whatever genre.

So, for the first, the end of the world comes about through some earth related disaster. Like:
    • massive earthquakes
    • a renewal of volcanic activity due to us messing with the core or something
    • meteorites smashing into us
    • or??

For the second, wind, the end of the world comes about through some meteorological related disaster:
    • a massive, rapid ice age
    • a thinning atmosphere for whatever reason (ozone layer is shot, etc)
    • a wizard has a massive fart
    • or??

For the third, fire, the end of the world comes about through some fire or war related disaster:
    • fire breathing dragons are created in someone cobbling together winged dinosaurs and something, creating intelligent, fire breathing minions!
    • nuclear Armageddon
    • a wizard puts a match to his rear end just as he is about to fart
    • or??

I hope that sparks the imagination.
    In regards to the current (WIND) theme. No, there doesn't have to be a mighty wind to destroy the earth, beer and curry induced or not. However, if someone can come up with a serious, but funny, account of the world ending because of a massive fart - go for it!

The wind theme can include ANY sort of meteorological or air related disaster. Disease spreads in the air (zombie stories anyone?). Alien zeppelins from the sky might work if atmospheric conditions support the theme. Lightning? Solar wind? Use your imagination, but please tie it back to the theme: the end of your story world by some sort of wind/air/meteorological disaster.

Have fun.
    Last edited by N. E. White; July 1st, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    NOW, you tell me! :-)
    Read carefully, grasshopper. I said the same thing in the very first post of this thread:

HOW do I vote?
    We each have three votes per contest to dole out to those stories we think are deserving. You can use all three or just one, it is up to you. However, you can not vote three times for the same story. And, yes, you can give yourself one vote. Thatís not very sportsmanlike, but you are entitled to do so.

But now it's sportsmanlike?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    But now it's sportsmanlike?
    Don't get cheeky on me!

Blog Entries
    I hate to keep bumping this thread to the top (I feel like I'm talking to myself), but I get so excited when things come together, I just have to share!

We have TWO reviewers who have agreed to review the anthology when it comes out. The first is our very own: Rob B who will do an official review to post here on SFFWorld.com and his blog. Woohoo!

The second is a blogger, Procrastin8or (look him up if you'd like), that said he'd do a mini-review for each story, and plaster the review on his blog and post on Amazon.com. Woohoo!

I'm shopping/begging for more review commitments, but really I can't do too much in this department until we publish later this year. But, these reviews will ensure that we'll at least get a few more readers than our collective family members.