Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm a perfectionist, a control freak, an OCD-ist, or just bleedin' annoying, but I wouldn't want to be my editor...!
    Ummm, should I start praying you don't win?

By the way, for those of you who have been accepted (by your peers! bask in the glory), I'm tackling the final edit for some, and the first edit for the second batch, this coming week. For those of you who have received my edits and did not respond, I will simply accept all my edits without your approval (don't worry, I didn't change much). For those second batches, expect to see my revisions (that will need your approval or arguments against - don't worry, I'm a push over) sometime during the second week of October.

Anyway, did you all send me bios and story blurbs? I seem to only have a paltry few...

Sorry for posting this in the thread. I thought to send an email to you all but that seemed more cumbersome...for some reason. Plus, I kind of wanted to publicly shame a few into responding.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Ummm, should I start praying you don't win?
    LOL I'm a pussycat really - and I probably won't win anyway...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    ...and I probably won't win anyway...
    (where's the emoticon playing a tiny violin...)

Spare us, Pete. We expect great things from you.

(where's the emoticon playing a tiny violin...)

Spare us, Pete. We expect great things from you.
    LOL that's the problem, you do - and sometimes you don''t get them! This month's flash has gone down well, but I've entered ones before that have been as popular as a fart in a two-man spacesuit....

Blog Entries
    This might be a little late in the game, but I thought I'd share.

I went to Nuit Blanche on Saturday, which is a big annual art festival that takes place on the streets of downtown Toronto. There was an exhibit called "Museum for the End of the World" that was. . . Well, interesting. Most of this stuff just seems like weird nonsense to me, but maybe some of you might find it to be just the inspiration you need for a contest entry. The first link is video from the exhibit, the second is a photo slideshow. I apologize for the quality, I shot it all using my phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA-oInfqC7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7-g6J-JzM

Anybody know what the coding is to get a preview window for each link?
    Last edited by norm; October 1st, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Not just you. I feel like most of that probably went right over my non-fine arts head.

I maintain that most modern art is proof that you really can fool some of the people all of the time.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, sorry norm, but that was pretty horrid.

I have a question for you all. One of our recent winners happens to live on the other side of the pond. I guess the first three all came from this side and I didn't notice any weird spelling (i.e. colour vs color, or organised vs organized).

I remember the question came up before and I just pushed it aside, thinking I would deal with it when it came up. Well, it has come up.

Do I edit one way, and change all the U.K. spelling to American spelling (or vice versa) or leave the spelling in their "native" dialect and just make a note of it at the beginning of the anthology (or in the introduction)?

I like the idea of leaving the spelling localized. Adds a bit of flavor (or is that flavour) to the anthology. What do you all think?

I'd go with you on that. Leave the spelling the way it was written. This is an international group, it is to be expected.

Oh, and about the edits. I put that stuff on the back burner, and forgot I had a back burner. If you don't hear from me in the next few days your edits will be just fine. I will also look to see whether I might have written a bio a/o story blurb. I doubt it, if I don't find any evidence I'll just do it.

B5

I would keep the stories as they are and mention the international nature of the contest. That's the beauty of the whole thing.
    Igor

Blog Entries
    Presumably there will be a small author bio, which might mention where they're from. I would say it should be in the version of English used by the writer. There's no such thing as "the right English," no matter what anyone says!

Blog Entries
    Sound good. I'll leave the British spelling alone, but co-ordinate is gonna change to coordinate (likewise for any other non-essential hyphens).

Blog Entries
    Hey Everyone,

For those of you who are keeping track (and fretting over your final draft), deadline for the Fire section of the anthology is tomorrow (Friday in my neck of the woods) 7 PM PDT. I'll be putting up the entries soon after so we can all get to reading the entries.

Hey Everyone,

For those of you who are keeping track (and fretting over your final draft), deadline for the Fire section of the anthology is tomorrow (Friday in my neck of the woods) 7 PM PDT. I'll be putting up the entries soon after so we can all get to reading the entries.
    Pft. I met your real deadline, so I've been done fretting for weeks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfen View Post
    Pft. I met your real deadline, so I've been done fretting for weeks.
    I know. Sorry about that. Completely my fault. You have to admit, though, for never having done anything like this before, I think I've managed quite well.

I'm just now starting to populate the document with all your stories, bios and blurbs, and even with the formatting all messed up, it is looking good! Can't wait to get in on my Nook to test it out in ePub format...