Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBF1V3 View Post
    ..or if some of us are well read, r.e. the styles of the authors involved.
    Not to mention the variety of English we are using.

Which is a point, TMSO. If authors from say Britain and the USA both win through, will you standardise/standardize the local variations of spelling throughout the book?

I've finished a rough draft and am entering the time of editing. That means I'm approximately 7.3451893% done.
    I just need to get mine proofread and I'm done. I hope. I'm fed up with it and I'm just fiddling about taking commas out and then putting them back in again. Usually a sign I'm done.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; May 19th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    I just need to get mine proofread and I'm done. I hope. I'm fed up with it and I'm just fiddling about taking commas out and then putting them back in again. Usually a sign I'm done.
    Um... what's a comma?

I would personally suggest not worrying too much about standardizing spelling in something like this. It may lead to a certain kind of editor anxiety.

I may have been overstating how much I edit but I will go over just about everything I write five or six times for various reasons.

B5

Just chiming in about the cover of the anthology because I have a background in visual design.

The cover art is really nice but I don't really like the font and how it is positioned.

I've made a quick mock-up of some of my ideas that would look really nice for your cover.

Font name is LilyUPC. Font colour is an orange which works really well with dark backgrounds, could be lighter or darker. Simple font without outlines looks best, so that is why I repositioned the title and editor.

No spaces is a stylistic technique to tighten up the text, and make the title bigger without using too much space (makes it very readable).

Um... what's a comma?
    Q.E.D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; May 20th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Princeroth View Post
    I've made a quick mock-up of some of my ideas that would look really nice for your cover.
    Thanks, Princeroth! But for some reason, the image didn't come through. I was able to access it. Maybe it will work this time?

Anyway, I like the color and font (background is filler, right?). The title does pop, but I'm not entirely sure about the lack of space between the letters. When we get closer to the deadline, we can have a cover contest? Anyone game?

I have another announcement!!!

One of our forum members recently entered the hallowed status of published, and I thought it would be pretty cool to invite her to take the third open slot (remember, we have 9 slots up for grabs with these contests and I've got 3 for published authors I am inviting to join us - for a total as 12 stories). Please welcome, new (un)comic-writer:

Tristis Ward!

So, along with Hugh Howey and an author that we'll just call M.S. for now (hint hint), awesome artist and writer Tristis Ward will be joining us in this anthology. For those of you who don't know her, man, you are missing out. Broken Jaw Press published her Bones of the Magus and it is just cool on a entirely different level. I'm SOOOO EXCITED she agreed to submit a story!

And with that, my friends, I leave you with...

26 days
    until Friday June 15 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Princeroth View Post
    Just chiming in about the cover of the anthology because I have a background in visual design.

The cover art is really nice but I don't really like the font and how it is positioned.

Font name is LilyUPC. Font colour is an orange which works really well with dark backgrounds, could be lighter or darker. Simple font without outlines looks best, so that is why I repositioned the title and editor.

No spaces is a stylistic technique to tighten up the text, and make the title bigger without using too much space (makes it very readable).
    I guess with that background you should have volunteered then, heh.

Personally I think the font looks like something off of a school textbook, or a novel cover from 1977. But that's just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Since I grew up reading 70s sci-fi, I totally dig the font.

For those like me who can't see Princeroth's image. This is it:

http://s18.postimage.org/sav6n4plz/cover.jpg

And at the risk of turning this into a typesetting fetish fest. I prefer the mockup's font (in addition the Gaussian Blur Photshoppy glows behind the lettering on the original is a real pet hate of mine. Just screams SELF PUBLISHED! to me) but I really don't like the zero spacing or the upper-case B in 'By'.

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    The internet juju is aligned against Princeroth's image, I can't see anything on those postimage.org links.

For better or worse I just sent tmso my submission.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zachariah View Post
    The internet juju is aligned against Princeroth's image, I can't see anything on those postimage.org links.
    Can ya see it now?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-m...VFZbFZoLUQwTWM

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    Thanks, I see it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    For those like me who can't see Princeroth's image. This is it:

http://s18.postimage.org/sav6n4plz/cover.jpg

And at the risk of turning this into a typesetting fetish fest. I prefer the mockup's font (in addition the Gaussian Blur Photshoppy glows behind the lettering on the original is a real pet hate of mine. Just screams SELF PUBLISHED! to me) but I really don't like the zero spacing or the upper-case B in 'By'.
    I wonder if that's a browser issue. I have no problem seeing it using Firefox or Safari. But that google one should work for everyone so the point is moot.

And I think I'm done with my story. At this point I'm fretting over the stupidest little things so I guess I'll submit it PDQ before I get to the point of fixing what ain't broke.

Princeroth, I like the size and placement of the verbiage, but I'm wondering what it might look like with a different font, something a little more... ragged, and/or gothic. (It may not work but maybe just consider.)

One editing pass done, still needs work.

B5

Blog Entries
    For my two cents, I like Nila's original cover just fine. It looks very polished to me.