Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Princeroth;684450]

The cover art is really nice but I don't really like the font and how it is positioned.

I've made a quick mock-up of some of my ideas that would look really nice for your cover.

Font name is LilyUPC. Font colour is an orange which works really well with dark backgrounds, could be lighter or darker. Simple font without outlines looks best, so that is why I repositioned the title and editor.

[QUOTE]

Morning Anthology team!

A Graphic Designer myself here, and getting my Creative Media degree. If you're saying outlines on fonts in general are bad, then I do disagree with you and hope others are not discourage from utilizing an outline on their fonts. However, if you're stating that an outline is not necessary due to the high-contrast background, then agree with you completely

I enjoy the font type you picked for this, but would recommend a contrasting font for the sub-title myself. But I'm a follower of Jim Krause, so that's where my thought process comes in from.

Still stuck at 20% here, but that's because I resumed my social life temporarily. I should be back in the fold tonight!

How many more days, tmso?

Wait for it....

wait....

wait.....

15 days.

B5

The alternative cover design looks nice... I'm wondering if the main title is too close to the exploding world in the foreground.. That's the most interesting part of the image. I like the large bold type font.. far better than the original.

I might suggest to try a version keeping your new layout and moving / scaling the background image slightly so that its not conflicting with the title. Or... perhaps keep the original layout but use a much larger bold type font at the type header..keeping the classic novel format

just a couple thoughts.

looks nice though..!

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    Not to mention the variety of English we are using.

Which is a point, TMSO. If authors from say Britain and the USA both win through, will you standardise/standardize the local variations of spelling throughout the book?
    Hey JM,

It appears that B5 has answered your most recent question (less than 13 days as of this posting), but I just noticed that I didn't answer the question above. At least, I don't think I did. Did I?

Anyway, I did think of that before starting this and then promptly forgot about it.

I don't want you all to change the spelling of your stories to meet one standard (other than whatever your local standard is). The idea is that we are an international forum and it would be nice to retain that international flavor. If there is anything really confusing in any of the winning entries, we'll have to come up with story notes or something. Write as you would for your local newspaper. Does that help?

By the way, we have 9 entries so far for the first contest. Woohoo! I'm looking forward to putting them all up so we can read 'em.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    The alternative cover design looks nice... I'm wondering if the main title is too close to the exploding world in the foreground.. That's the most interesting part of the image. I like the large bold type font.. far better than the original.

I might suggest to try a version keeping your new layout and moving / scaling the background image slightly so that its not conflicting with the title. Or... perhaps keep the original layout but use a much larger bold type font at the type header..keeping the classic novel format

just a couple thoughts.

looks nice though..!
    Thank you for your thoughts on the cover, jeff p. And thanks to everyone else on their thoughts on the cover.

We will be changing (improving) the cover font in the near future, however, let's wait until closer to the time of publication (December 15th) to sort that out. No need to hash something out so early.

Sometime in November, I'll ask wulfen (our assigned volunteer for the cover) for an update, then get a second round of suggestions and then come up with a final version after that.

I'd like to please us all in regards to the cover, but that will be impossible. We'll do our best, and I'm sure the end result will be worthy of all our efforts.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Blog Entries
    <sigh> I wish I could live in a world where clocking out at work meant I could go home and write.

It's not the case however. My online Lit teacher is trying to destroy my free-time. I must find a way to take back y story and finish it.

Blog Entries
    Hey Vir, don't sweat it. There's still two more contests after this.

Okay!

Guess what?

Michael J. Sullivan has agreed to join Hugh Howey and Tristis Ward in submitting a story. As a matter of fact, he's already completed it! And it is AWESOME. One of those stories that will keep you thinking long after reading.

So, sharpen your prose, tighten up those themes, and send in those stories by June 15th, 2012.

Blog Entries
    I'm in a competition against those three? Well, apart from sweating bullets, I guess I shall having at least the ability to say I've had work considered and compared against known and published authors

So, today I have the pleasure of writing some more Let's hope I finish today. I'm trying to figure out ways of lessening my word count. I've been reading through Kathleen Horning's book "From Cover to Cover" and picked up some tips of "How to Write a Literary Review." Although this makes for dry writing, at least it helps word count.

Yep, to be involved in something with such good writers is pretty cool.

Can't wait to see the entries!

Quote Originally Posted by virangelus View Post
    I'm in a competition against those three?
    I think 'those three' are already in. The rest of us are in competition for the other slots.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    I think 'those three' are already in. The rest of us are in competition for the other slots.
    That is my take as well.

Blog Entries
    Oh I see! So, we're competing for a chance to have our named in an anthology published next to these three men/women of awesome? Hmm...

I've managed to transition to part 2 of this story at 2881 words. I think this is coming along swimmingly... (at least I'm going to keep telling myself that)

Blog Entries
    Oh I see! So, we're competing for a chance to have our named in an anthology published next to these three men/women of awesome?
    Yup! The idea is that more than just you and your mom will read the anthology.

There are two other reasons why I wanted to include them:

1) They are part of our forum. Why not have them part of our forum anthology in some sort of "official" manner?

2) It ups everyone's game when they know they have a professional standard to meet. I think the work I've seen in the other contests meet that standard and it would be nice to recognize your collective efforts!

I've managed to transition to part 2 of this story at 2881 words. I think this is coming along swimmingly... (at least I'm going to keep telling myself that)
    Glad to hear it is coming along.

I only recently found these forums. Sucks I can't enter into any contest except for the last one