Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Good choice! lol

Blog Entries

Nine Tomorrows

After reading a heavy fantasy novel, I decided to hit a light Sci-Fi collection. I am reading Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov. This is a collection of older short stories from around 1959 so a lot of tech is dated; however, some of the stories are still relavent in ways I think Mr. Asimov would appreciate.

I have just started reading Brin's new novel Existence.

WOW! During vacation I absolutely devoured Tad Williams novel Otherland vol1 City of Golden Shadow. Bar none this was one of the most engaging books I have read in a very long time. In short - amazing characters I immediately invested myself in and a wonderfully complex plot written so so well. I finshed it about a week ago and I keep thinking about it. Can't wait to get my hands on vol 2.

SO SO GOOD!

just finished Caliban's War... I’m going to have to agree with the consensus with this one...more or less the same as it's predecessor LW

just one stupid question I have.. how does the title have anything to do with the book?

(I'm assuming Caliban is a person, but there's no one in the book with that name)

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by krisbslick View Post
    just finished Caliban's War... I’m going to have to agree with the consensus with this one...more or less the same as it's predecessor LW

just one stupid question I have.. how does the title have anything to do with the book?

(I'm assuming Caliban is a person, but there's no one in the book with that name)
    well, Caliban is a famous monster in literature and the title actually fits well considering the way the book goes; there is even a short war after all

back on topic, no recent sf read:

started Fire season the second YA Honorverse book and this one is clearly both YA and not with that much Weber so far but with lots of Lindskold who is not one of my favorite Honorverse secondary writers, so I got stuck for now when the dreaded YA romance trope reared its head

also tried Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (literary novel but with sfnal stuff as it has astronauts, a Moon robot colony...) and the style made me run away fast

Thursday though the first of the two huge July sf novels comes out and I plan to get a copy on publication and read it asap; Empty Space by MJ Harrison (19th) and Jack Glass by Adam Roberts (26th) being the books of course

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Jack Glass by Adam Roberts (26th) being the books of course
    Didn't realize this was out so soon...interested to hear what you think (I loved By Light Alone).

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Didn't realize this was out so soon...interested to hear what you think (I loved By Light Alone).
    I am a huge Roberts fan (own all his novels and read all but 2 so far plus lots of ss) so I have very high expectations; the blurb is one of those irresistible ones too; but first it is Empty Space tomorrow night and I am very excited as I really loved Light though was only ok on Nova Swing, but maybe it is time for a reread of this last and a better appreciation...

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Personally find Roberts can be a bit hit and miss for me, but this one definitely has a feel of the Jack Vance.

Mark
    Mark

Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar

Burroughs

I'v started Thuvia of Mars by Edgar rice Burroughs. His material is really science-fantasy rather than hard sci-fi--but still very readable. The first three novels in the "Mars" sequence {A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, The Warlord of Mars} are in reality one linked book--each ending on a cliff-hanger until the conclusion of the third.

Thuvia begins a new story and so far it is easily as good as the first three.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Me too (on all counts). Sounds like it should be a very good read

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.
    Halfway through at least, and I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's not the clearest book I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Halfway through at least, and I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's not the clearest book I've read.
    Just read The Stars My Destination too. Definitely keep going. I think the book picks up steam from about the midpoint to the end; it builds nicely to a pretty wild conclusion. Maybe it's not the clearest thing you've read (it's not the clearest thing I've read either!), but it's worth the effort. Even though I don't think I've totally sorted everything out, I enjoyed it a lot and think it's something I'll come back to.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not going to stop until I hit the end.

Read interesting books
    Got my copy of Empty Space by MJ Harrison last night as expected and started reading - starts superbly and looks like a huge highlight of the year in sf

I also took a look at The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter; I cannot read Pratchett whose popularity kind of baffles me as I find his prose neither that good, nor that funny, but I hoped that Stephen Baxter will do the heavy lifting as is usually done in such a collaboration (with the junior partner writing the book and the senior partner outlining and editing) and I tend to like Mr. Baxter's sf.

However the book reads very juvenile for the first 50 pages or so and I may continue it a little more after Empty Space (opening that and reading the adult prose of MJ Harrison made it even more painful to read the juvenile stuff of The Long Earth...), but we'll see