Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Halfway through at least, and I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's not the clearest book I've read.
    Finished.

Hmmm...

Finished.

Hmmm...
    'Hmmm' indeed

It's not the clearest book I've read.
    Overall, I didn't really enjoy TSMD (Demolished Man is better) but what's not clear about it? Alfred Bester's writing and plotting is just about as lucid and pace-y as it gets, even after all these years. He makes Iain M Banks seem like James Joyce

Started Bujold's second Miles omnibus Young Miles last night. Excited to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    Overall, I didn't really enjoy TSMD (Demolished Man is better) but what's not clear about it? Alfred Bester's writing and plotting is just about as lucid and pace-y as it gets, even after all these years. He makes Iain M Banks seem like James Joyce
    It's just Bester's style in The Stars... wasn't something I found entirely clear. I got on alright with it, sure, but it's like Ellis Peters and some other authors - some styles cause me to miss things regardless of the pacing.

I just finished Calibans War and LW before that. Very enjoyable!

It's funny, I had bought Leviathan Wakes 4 months ago and did not get into it. I set it down about 10 percent in. I kept seeing people commenting about it and saw that the sequel was out so over the weekend I decided to give it another go. I am glad I did.

Just finished The Company of the Dead by David J. Kowalski. Glad someone reviewed it on this site or I'd never have heard of it. This book was awesome.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Glad someone reviewed it on this site or I'd never have heard of it.
    That was me!

This book was awesome.
    Very pleased you liked it, Chrysippus: I thought so too! Always good to share our likes...

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    That was me!
    Mark
    Well then, I owe you a very big thank you. That book will probably be one of my favorites of the year, if not my favorite

Blog Entries
    Finished two books in the last week one good, one not-so-good.

The not-so-good one was Kris Longknife: Deserter by Mike Shepard. I was disappointed because it wasn't nearly as good as the opening book in his series. The premise wasn't bad and the storyline had potential even most of the writing was good. The problem, without giving too much away was "Nelly" the computer. Literally every time Kris gets into a jam, there's good old Nelly bailing her out. Who need's these extraneous characters when your PC does all the heavy lifting? After a while of this even Kris herself seems unnecessary. It really put me off. I may give the next book in the series a look based on the things I liked in the opening volume but if I see much more of "Nelly" I'm done!

This disappointment however was more than offset by Jack McDevitt's excellent Time Traveller's Never Die! I'm a sucker for good Time Travel novels because the good ones are so rare. Lately however I have read a batch of good ones (Joe Halderman's The Accidental Time Machine, and Connie Willis' Blackout and All Clear. I enjoy McDevitt's approach of how time travel can be both addictive and dangerous. Interesting also were the places, events or people visited that were chosen whether for personal or whimsical reasons. I also liked the characters who were for the most part selfless and as good a friend as one could want. Anyway great story!
    Last edited by Rob B; July 22nd, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Read interesting books
    I started Empty Space, the highly awaited 3rd Kefauchi Tract book by MJ Harrison and I realized that I forgot a lot about the series (the first pov is Anna, 20+ years later from the present day events in Light, Anna being the first wife and last known companion of Michael Kearney one of the 3 pov's of Light) so i did a quick refresher on Light (still awesome) and an end to end rereading of Nova Swing (still very good though a bit too much noir and too little sf for my taste).

Now getting going with Empty Space in earnest and already 30-40 pages in and it is just awesome with the typical MJ Harrison superb prose and crazy/mind-bending stuff within a very sparse world-building package.

Blog Entries
    Finished Asimov's Nine Tomorrows, especially loved The Ugly Little Boy. Now I am reading Roadside Picinic. I remember seeing this story mentioned before and I liked the fact that it was written by Russian SF writers during the cold war and the heyday of the communist regime. So far very good.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Finished Caliban's War. A page turner like the first Expanse book, but I didn't care too much about the Marine and the politico that were introduced as new POV. And the plot had an even stronger popcorn flavor than Leviathan Wakes. A summer blockbuster, very entertaining, but I can't take it too seriously.

A few days ago I finished Mira Grant's Blackout, the last book in her Newsflesh series [about news bloggers in a post-zombie apocalypse US]. Fun. Very fun. Like Deadline, the second book, this didn't feel as sharp as the first novel, Feed. Some of the speeches about truth are a bit much, and some of the banter a little stretched. The characters do a lot of reacting in the first half, which gives the plot a less driven and cohesive feel than the first two books, at least for me. The final revelations are great and work well, but -- for me at least -- might have had more impact if they'd gone off a little earlier so the story had more time to address them. Grant has never been that good at villains [though her alter ego Seanan McGuire has produced one very good one, far as I'm concerned], who are mostly just nasty interchangeable talking heads, but her heroes are very very likeable and it was great to see them shoot zombies again.

I'm now about a third into Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312. There have been some awesome moments in this book so far, like awesome in the literal sense of inspiring actual awe. The opening sequence describing sunrise on Mercury may still be my personal favourite. Unfortunately, the plot for the first quarter feels like it exists primarily as scaffolding for these beautiful individual sequences and epic digressions to stand on, and it [the plot] often goes on long vacations in order to give them space. About a quarter of the way through something big happens which indicates the plot may be ramping up, but it then promptly steps out for another long stroll. The two central characters, however, are quite interesting, complex and not entirely reliable personalities, though their supporting players are thus far much more bog-standard. It's a shame that the plot feels largely mechanical, but the powerful individual sequences are more than enough to keep me reading.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    Finished Caliban's War. A page turner like the first Expanse book, but I didn't care too much about the Marine and the politico that were introduced as new POV. And the plot had an even stronger popcorn flavor than Leviathan Wakes. A summer blockbuster, very entertaining, but I can't take it too seriously.
    I actually liked Avasarala a lot. Bobbie was alright - I didn't feel strongly either way - but I thought Avasarala was hilarious, but also very serious. Other than that, I agree with you.