Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Malazan. Who gets the most screen time?

Just a simple question. Wondering in the entire Malazan series, who gets the most screen time? If we had to name a main character or a couple, who would they be.

Rake? Cutter? Kalam? Quickben? Paran(Ganoes)? Icarium? Karsa? Dancer? Maybe Dassem if you count ICE's book? Am I forgetting someone? I know characters like Tehol and Bugg get a lot later in the books, but in overall screentime, I don't think they are up there.

I've thought about this before and decided on Fiddler. But maybe that's just because he seemed to end up as the main character in the last couple of books. I could be wrong.

I used to keep a list of which characters appeared in which books (including ICE's), and Shadowthrone appeared in the most books followed by Cotillion. But they usually don't get a lot of screen time.

Oh ya, forgot about Fiddler. He did seem to get a lot of screen time too. I'd like to see that list. Who was the main char in each book, and who was the supporting cast.

Think I'd go with Fiddler too.

Nefarious Bredd...LOL. Seriously though that is a pretty tough question. Bugg and Tehol have tons of time in in the Lether portion of the series. Karsa has a lot of time as well....Witness! The Rake kids have quite a long story. Finally, my dude Kruppe appears in quite a few of the books as well. Fid though is a pretty good pick though.

I think it definitely comes down to Fiddler (who, as the only member of both the Bridgeburners and Bonehunters with lots of screentime, spans both halves of the series) and Karsa Orlong. Karsa Orlong is a really big character in four books and a supporting character in two others, which I think is the most times a single character appears bar Cotillion and Kellanved, but they tend to show up in short bursts rather than lengthy POV chapters.

IIRC Quick Ben appears in more books than Karsa. I don't have my list anymore but Quick Ben did have a brief appearance in Deadhouse Gates while talking to Kalam. So he'd appear in all of Erikson's books except for Midnight Tides and Toll the Hounds. I think.

My first thought was Fiddler; Karsa is up there and Quick Ben appears in a lot of books, but he also disappears for long stretches. Trull Sengar gets a good amount of play as well IIRC. I think it has to be Fiddler.

I really should go back and read Malazan, but, as awesome as it is, there are a lot of things I really do not want to reread. Chain of Dogs is great, but then you have the whole snake thing through the desert that is just the worst (my Malazan vocab is way out of practice). Also, a lot of things were a bit confusing if you read the books over a long period of time. If someone asked me to summarize the plot of the series right now, I would fail miserably. But I still loved it.
    Last edited by Wulfgang; October 15th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Yeah seems like fiddlers starts the series as one of the main guys and ends it.

It's very interesting though that there is no clear answer.

it's not quick ben he's ina lot of books but there's not much actual pages focused on him. going to be down to fiddler or Karsa.

IIRC Quick Ben appears in more books than Karsa
    Yeah, but he only has POV chapters in DHG IIRC. After that he's still around, but very rarely the focus of events. He's just kind of hanging out. Karsa's in fewer books, but he's a major, major protagonist in every single one he's in
    Spoiler:
    (except DHG and his cameo in The Crippled God).
    Last edited by Werthead; October 17th, 2013 at 08:04 AM.

I may get a lot of flack for this, but it's sort of a shame. Fiddler, while being a nice guy and all, is to me a boring character. I wasn't real interested in what he was doing. I would have rather got more POV from QuickBen. Karsa, while I did like how bad ass he thought he was...until he saw Dassem and Rake fighting, is pretty one dimensional. His bluntness made him one of my favs though. I guess what I am saying is out of all the 'popular' characters, Fiddler was my least favorite. And I think you're all right that he got the most screen time.

I wanna see a metric bar chart. Who is mentioned on the most pages? Who has the most POV pages? How involved each character in each book? Major breakdown of the characters. Who can handle this task? =) Maybe the guys over at Malazan Empire have done something similar.

Oh..what about Kaminsod!

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Karsa's in fewer books, but he's a major, major protagonist in every single one he's in
    Spoiler:
    (except DHG and his cameo in The Crippled God)
    ^ I think that constitutes a spoiler. Not sure if this is a spoiler-free thread or not.
    Spoiler:
    I know I kept waiting for him to show up and kick huge amounts of ass, and was a bit disappointed that he didn't.