Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I'll have two titles released in 2013, but I'm waiting on Orbit to make the official announcement before saying more. They are currently slated for August and September.
    This a new series or what there, Sir Sullivan?

Man, Lotsa good stuff coming in 2013, thanks for this list, Mjolnir.

Good list mjolnir! I am sure a mod can move it up to the top post if you want it there (I think it would be a good spot for it as well).

Sullivan - Congrads, 2 books in 2 months? Are they apart of a series, or do they differ from one another?

I also wanted to toss out NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I believe that is slated for a April 2013 release. I am pretty stoked for it after loving both Heart Shaped Box and Horns.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    ...Here's an incomplete list of some of the stuff coming out next year based on what we know so far.
    Thanks for the list mjolnir!

You might want to add Robert V. S. Redick's The Night of the Swarm (Jan), and Paul Cornell's London Falling (Apr).

You may or may not want to add Ilona Andrews' Magic Bites: A Special Edition of the First Kate Daniels Novel [a reprint with new material] (Jan).

Also, I'm not sure if you'd want to include it or not, but some people might be interested to see that Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic graphic novel is finally being re-released in a deluxe edition at the end of January. It's been OOP for awhile, possibly (or not) due to the Harry Potter controversy around it. I just think that it's a great thing that new people will be exposed to this wonderful Gaiman story.

From Jeff Vandermeer's blog:

"As Iíve mentioned here before, Iíve been working on a new series of novels: The Southern Reach series. The first one, already completed, is entitled Annihilation and itíll be sent around soon to publishers. Hereís a very rough draft description of the book: ďArea X: mysterious, remote, and concealed by the government as an environmental disaster zone for more than 30 years. But strange forces are gathering in this pristine wilderness protected by an invisible, deadly border. The secret agency known as the Southern Reach has sent in eleven expeditions to discover the truth about Area X. Now, the twelfth will attempt to succeed where all others have failedÖThis is the story of that twelfth expedition, narrated by the biologist attached to the mission: a reticent, misanthropic woman who brings her secrets to Area X.Ē"

Looking forward to this.

New VanderMeer? Excellent; thanks! Shall look forward to that in a provisional way. Hopefully it finds a publishing home sooner than later.

Thanks for the suggested additions to the list, all. I've been trying to keep it semi-current.

Some news-type stuff:

-- Locus' wonderful forthcoming books feature is reporting that Martin and Dozois' anthology Dangerous Women, which will include Martin's new novella, will be published in May. However, according to Westeros, this date is not final. Apparently it's doable, but the decision is Tor's and has not yet been made.

-- It's sounding like the conclusion to Raymond Feist's long-running Midkemia series, Magician's End, will be published in May. I might not be able to restrain myself from checking this out, even though -- with apologies to any who still keep the faith -- I don't think Feist's written a novel I'd describe as "good" in over a decade.

-- Don't see how we could see the results of this in 2013, but Locus reports that Patrick Rothfuss has sold another three books to Daw, who are publishing The Kingkiller Chronicle. Whether these books are connected to Kvothe's story is very unclear -- some say they definitely are, some say they're definitely not. So it goes on the internet.

-- Richard Morgan's publisher, Gollancz, has announced on Twitter that the very tentative hoped-for release date for The Dark Defiles, the final volume in his series A Land Fit for Heroes, is August 2013. [This does not come with any information as to whether a draft is finished or not; I assume not.] Evidently the book is growing quite long, and Morgan and the publishers are looking into the possibility of splitting it in two if they can find a workable break point in the story, but have not yet decided if this is the best course. [with thanks to The Wertzone for the info]

Read interesting books
    Adjacent by Christopher Priest is slated for August 2013, while Adam Roberts has a new book with a really cool title next July too, Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea (!) in addition to the Adam Robots collection in January.

The ninth Shadows of the Apt book War Master's Gate is also scheduled for August 2013, though Robert Redick's book seems that will still be out in October 2012 in the UK, the 2013 delay is only US so far

Paul McAuley's new book is in January and is titled Evening's Empires
    Last edited by suciul; September 14th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

Information for Unfettered (Grim Oak Press) has been updated and it's now supposed to be out "Early 2013". For those who want a print copy, this will be limited to 500 S&N copies and 5,000-10,000 Trade copies, and considering the authors involved, it would probably be best to order early. ebooks will also be available. Here's the lineup:

The Shade of Allanon by Terry Brooks (a Shannara tale)

Imaginary Friends by Terry Brooks (a precursor to the Word/Void trilogy)

How Old Holly Came To Be by Patrick Rothfuss

River of Souls by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson (a Wheel of Time tale)

The Old Scale Game by Tad Williams

Martyr of the Roses by Jacqueline Carey (a precursor to the Kushiel series)

Dogs by Daniel Abraham

Mudboy by Peter V. Brett (a Demon Cycle tale)

Nocturne by Robert V. S. Redick

The Sound of Broken Absolutes by Peter Orullian (a Vault of Heaven tale)

Untitled by Geno & R.A. Salvatore

Keeper of Memory by Todd Lockwood (a Summer Dragon tale)

Game of Chance by Carrie Vaughn

The Lasting Doubts of Joaquin Lopez by Blake Charlton

The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne (an Iron Druid tale)

Select Mode by Mark Lawrence (a Broken Empire tale)

All the Girls Love Michael Stein by David Anthony Durham

Strange Rain by Jennifer Bosworth (a Struck epilogue tale)

Unbowed by Eldon Thompson (a Legend of Asahiel tale)

Untitled by Naomi Novik (a Temeraire tale)

The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan (a Riyria Chronicles tale)

The Duel by Lev Grossman (a Magicians tale)

The Unfettered Knight by Shawn Speakman (an Annwn Cycle tale)

More info here: http://grimoakpress.com/2012/08/unfe...hawn-speakman/

Thanks for the continued additions, all. Priest's Adjacent will be an event in the field, of course, and one day I will stop talking about reading him and actually do so. Roberts, too. I very much enjoyed most of McAuley's first Quiet War duology, so am interested to see how he carries on. And Unfettered sounds like a wonderful project. Nice table of contents, too.

Another compilation of stuff from about and around:

Neil Gaiman's new novel for adults is entitled The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and will be released in June next year. It sounds like -- with the marked caveat that I forget where I heard this so can't source it; it may very well have been here -- that he'd been planning a run at the American Gods sequel, but found that this novel took over.

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, a loose sequel to The Shining, will be published in September 2013. interestingly [based on King's forums], King himself called time on the initial plan to publish the novel earlier, as he was dissatisfied with the state of the manuscript and felt it needed to go back in the oven for additional editing.

James S. A. Cory, or Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, will evidently be writing a Starwars novel. The book will center on Han Solo and will [I think, can't quite remember] take place during the galactic civil war between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Apparently it's one of several standalone books coming out focusing on iconic rebel characters during this period in Starwars' [now meticulously explored / exploited] history. Interesting. I wonder, though, whether this will delay their joint / Abraham's other work. I hope Abraham in particular takes himself a break one of these days.

According to amazon, Orbit has bumped US publication of Miles Cameron's The Red Knight from December of this year to January, making it a 2013 release. A good thing for the novel? A sign of faith? [Isn't the conventional wisdom that only established bestsellers can hack it at Christmas?] The UK edition's still coming this month.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    This a new series or what there, Sir Sullivan?

Man, Lotsa good stuff coming in 2013, thanks for this list, Mjolnir.
    Sorry I. The delay responding...this will be a new series, but will feature old friends. In the Riyria Revelations we see a story arc which shows the end of Riyria (a team of two thieves). The new series, The Riyria Chronicles goes back to show how it all began. The Crown Tower is releasing in Aug 2013 ad The Rose and the Thorn in September.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    Good list mjolnir!

Sullivan - Congrads, 2 books in 2 months? Are they apart of a series, or do they differ from one another?
    They are #1 and #2 of The Riyria Chronicles.

Saw this one over on Justin's Blog:

Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan

Field Marshal Tamas has staged a coup against the king of Adro. His powder mages have slaughtered the king’s Privileged cabal of sorcerers and the nobility has been rounded up to face the guillotine with their king. Tamas has brought revolution to his country in one bloody night to save his people and right the wrongs caused by the old regime. Yet his actions have far-reaching consequences of which no reasonable man could have conceived, and the king will prove the easiest obstacle to overcome in his quest to free Adro.

Captain Taniel Two-shot is a powder mage of considerable skill. Gunpowder makes him stronger and faster than other men. He can manipulate its properties to shoot out a man’s eye at twice the length of a battlefield. It makes him perfect for killing the old Privileged sorcerers with their destructive magic. One of those Privileged has escaped Tamas’ cull. The problem is, she’s stronger than any sorcerer Taniel has ever seen, and the mercenaries sent to help him track her are of dubious reliability.

When Adamat is summoned to the palace in the middle of the night, the last thing the veteran investigator expects is to arrive during a regime change. His new employer is none other than the man responsible for overthrowing the current government and he has some unfinished business with the king’s sorcerers. The dying Privileged cabal has left the Field Marshal with a riddle. It could be nothing, but Tamas does not like loose ends. Adamat knows from long experience that one doesn’t ask questions unless one is willing to learn–and believe–the answers. To add to his problems, the Field Marshal isn’t the only one interested in the answer to the dying sorcerers’ riddle. As enemies emerge from the shadows and the investigation takes a disturbing turn, Adamat must decide where his loyalties lie.

“Promise of Blood is a hugely promising debut. Guns, swords, and magic together? What more could you want? How about tense action, memorable characters, rising stakes, and cool, cool magic? Not only the finest flintlock fantasy I’ve read, but also the most fun. Brian McClellan is the real thing.”

–Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel Trilog

Also, Orbit's preview of early 2013 covers:
    http://www.orbitbooks.net/2012/10/15...13-early-look/

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

very interesting - happy to finally see Cold steel there as i really missed that one in 2012; Promise of Blood sounds interesting but we'll see as Orbit's last (epic fantasy) debut, Seven princes was dull and so un-involving that i have dropped fast out of it; now of course the other sort of hyped series debut Red Knight will come sometime before from them - either late December or January and that is a huge one for me as i give it a shot at being #1 for 2012 (considering that the Gollancz comes out in 10 days and I hope to get a copy even faster)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    They did one for the UK too, and I think it's a stronger line up. Tregellis' Coldest War & Necessary Evil, a new Brooks & Moon, final WoT book and Abaddon's Gate seem to be the big ones there. Strangely, Abraham's next Dagger & Coin isn't on there so I assume it'll be July or August?

The Sapkowski book, if it's the same as the Gollancz edition and the same translator, will likely be a bit of a poor read. Sadly.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Michael Sullivan led me to this voteable 'most anticipated 2013' list on Goodreads - loadsa good stuff coming up!

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...antasy_of_2013