Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scumby View Post
    Yes, but when, When, WHEN, will the Iron Jackal be available by e-book in the US? I know I can order an import book, but I have the first two on my Kindle, so I really want this as an e-book as well. These books are so good I just can't figure out why there is such a long delay this time. Of course the author's website is completely devoid of any information regarding the US/Iron Jackal thing.
    It is devoid of information because he hasn't a clue when the book may be released in the United States. If you go through the comments section of his news section, you'll see that he has answered questions about when the book may be released in the USA; he's as baffled and frustrated as you are. I understand the frustration, as I would have preferred to get it on Kindle as well but wasn't able and couldn't wait. I ordered from bookdepository.uk and enjoyed the book thoroughly.
    Last edited by Haliax; November 6th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    It is devoid of information because he hasn't a clue when the book may be released in the United States. If you go through the comments section of his news section, you'll see that he has answered questions about when the book may be released in the USA; he's as baffled and frustrated as you are. I understand the frustration, as I would have preferred to get it on Kindle as well but wasn't able and couldn't wait. I ordered from bookdepository.uk and enjoyed the book thoroughly.
    Thanks Darksbane. I will keep waiting as there are still plenty of good books to read, but it is frustrating to see all the great books you can get in the UK and Canada that we can't get in the states. It seems odd we can't pay a little more to "import" an e-book, but you can with a regular book. Hopefully some enterprising entrepeneur will find a way to address this need in the future.

Thanks Darksbane. I will keep waiting as there are still plenty of good books to read, but it is frustrating to see all the great books you can get in the UK and Canada that we can't get in the states. It seems odd we can't pay a little more to "import" an e-book, but you can with a regular book. Hopefully some enterprising entrepeneur will find a way to address this need in the future.
    Recent update indicates that the rest of the series will be released by Titan Books in the USA rather than by Ace, but they will at least be released. Doesn't seem to be an update on when, but he does mention that the ebook is included. It is too bad that Ace appear to have given up on the series.
    Last edited by Haliax; November 26th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks Darksbane!

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    Recent update indicates that the rest of the series will be released by Titan Books in the USA rather than by Ace, but they will at least be released. Doesn't seem to be an update on when, but he does mention that the ebook is included. It is too bad that Ace appear to have given up on the series.
    Wow, thanks so much Darksbane! This is the news I was waiting/hoping for.

No problem. I was happy to read that news as well, and remembered that you were asking about it.

Has there been any news on a release date for Scott Lynch's Republic of Thieves? I think I recall hearing towards the beginning of 2012 that it was either finished or nearly so, but haven't seen anything since.

I don't think there's any real answer to that. I had heard October of this year, and that obviously didn't happen. I've heard early next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Forever Knight by John Marco has an April 2013 release date. After 2 years of not even being read by his editor and it's finally coming out.

Wow, thanks so much Darksbane! This is the news I was waiting/hoping for.
    Seconded! I had just checked into this a week and a half ago, very glad to here that the situation was figured out already.

With thanks to Jussie on Westeros, an early blurb for a new novel for grown-ups by none other than Ian McDonald. I had absolutely no idea. The novel is called Hopeland and a quick search turns up no sale or release info of any kind whatever, so any news is most welcome! Because oh my goodness this sounds like quite something:

They met while London burned. A encounter during a riot brought Amon Brightbourne together with Raissa Hopeland on a mad rooftop hunt for a family heirloom: a Tesla Coil. But there is no such thing as chance where Amon is concerned: he's been exiled from his family home because he's both cursed and blessed with the Grace — he lives a charmed life, but at the expense of those closest to him. The Grace made him fall in love with Raissa, and with her family, the extraordinary Hopelands — a family like stars in the sky, scattered but connected in constellations of affection, parenthood, love and responsibility.

But a terrible misunderstanding tears them apart, and sends Amon on a journey through the ever-extending Hopeland family, touching lives and shaping the course of the unfolding 20th century. Raissa's life is also changed by that moment, from free spirit to major player in the unfolding story of the 21st century in an Iceland transformed by the Artic thaw.

Over twenty years their lives and loves orbit around each other, through climate change, new religions, economic and technological revolution, resource wars and mass migration as Raissa tries to unite her family. there is — and always will be — Hope in her name. They love each other but they can never be with each other — until Amon must choose between family and his fear of what the Grace will do to the woman he has always loved.

Hopeland is a sprawling, picaresque, magical, marvellous novel — love story, family saga, tech thriller, science fiction — that takes you to the heart of the woes and promises of this most astonishing of centuries.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is a list that has been compiled over at /r/fantasy on reddit:

• Antiagon Fire (The Imager Portfolio #7) by L. E. Modesitt Jr.
    • The Age Atomic by Adam Christopher
    • Blood and Bone (A Novel of the Malazan Empire) by Ian C. Esslemont
    • Blood of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles #4) by Robin Hobb
    • The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig
    • The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1) by Michael J. Sullivan
    • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle #3) by Peter V. Brett
    • Dogsland #3 by JM McDermott
    • Emperor of Thorns (Broken Empire #3) by Mark Lawrence
    • Fade to Black by Francis Knight
    • Gun Machine by Warren Ellis
    • Hang Wire by Adam Christopher
    • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6) by Kevin Hearne
    • Imager's Battalion (The Imager Portfolio #6) by L. E. Modesitt Jr.
    • Ice Forged by Gail Z. Martin
    • The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
    • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time #14) by Brandon Sanderson & Robert Jordon
    • North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud
    • The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
    • Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan
    • River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay
    • The Rose and the Thorn (Riyria Chronicles #2) by Michael J. Sullivan
    • Tyrant's Law (The Dagger & the Coin #3) by Daniel Abraham
    • Shadow Ops: Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops #2) by Myke Cole
    • Shambling Guide to NYC by Mur Lafferty
    • A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar
    • The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
    • The Unholy Consul (The Aspect-Emperor #3) R. Scott Bakker
    • Witchbreaker (Dragon Apocalypse #3) by James Maxey

I'm personally waiting for the fourth book in the final Thomas Covenant series, by Stephen R. Donaldson. I've been waiting for something like 8 years!

According to this PDF catalog, Dennis L. McKiernan's new Mithgar novel Stolen Crown will be published in Winter 2014.

This is the first of three reissues that will lead up to a brand-new book in the series titled Stolen Crown, coming Winter 2014

I've not paid huge amounts of info to upcoming releases but...

Alison Croggon (who has a subforum here) has a standalone, non-Pellinor title coming out this month called Black Spring, which I think is a 'gothic romance'. Either way, should be good.

Sir Terry Pratchett is having his Discworld catalogue re-issued throughout this year by Corgi UK, too. They started last year but the vast majority of the books will likely be done over the course of the year. They're retaining the original illustrations, but they've been cleaned up, reshuffled (i.e. cropped and moved around) and they look much more appealing than they did. They're also in the larger MMPB format now, rather than the smaller one. I don't think this applies to the few still published by Gollancz (Eric and most of the information books)

Gardner Dozois and George R. R. Martin have delivered their new cross-genre anthology, Dangerous Women, to Tor -- this is from Martin, on his Not a Blog. The book has no release date as of now. The table of contents is quite something, and looks like this:

INTRODUCTION, by Gardner Dozois
    SOME DESPERADO, by Joe Abercrombie
    MY HEART IS EITHER BROKEN, by Megan Abbott
    NORA’S SONG, by Cecelia Holland
    THE HANDS THAT ARE NOT THERE, by Melinda Snodgrass
    BOMBSHELLS, by Jim Butcher
    RAISA STEPANOVA, by Carrie Vaughn
    WRESTLING JESUS, by Joe R. Lansdale
    NEIGHBORS, by Megan Lindholm
    I KNOW HOW TO PICK ‘EM, by Lawrence Block
    SHADOWS FOR SILENCE IN THE FORESTS OF HELL, by Brandon Sanderson
    A QUEEN IN EXILE, by Sharon Kay Penman
    THE GIRL IN THE MIRROR, by Lev Grossman
    SECOND ARABESQUE, VERY SLOWLY, by Nancy Kress
    CITY LAZARUS, by Diana Rowland
    VIRGINS, by Diana Gabaldon
    HELL HATH NO FURY, by Sherilynn Kenyon
    PRONOUNCING DOOM, by S.M. Stirling
    NAME THE BEAST, by Sam Sykes
    CARETAKERS, by Pat Cadigan
    LIES MY MOTHER TOLD ME, by Caroline Spector
    THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN, by George R.R. Martin

And Martin also says this, about the stories' connections to larger mythologies:

"The Abercrombie is set against his RED COUNTRY backdrop, the Holland gives us Eleanor of Aquitaine, Jim Butcher returns us to Harry Dresden's world, Lev Grossman contributes a tale of life at Brakebills, Steve Stirling revisits his Emberverse, Diana Gabaldon's story features Jamie Fraser of OUTLANDER fame, the Spector is a Wild Cards story featuring Hoodoo Mama and the Amazing Bubbles, and mine own contribution... well, it's some of that fake history I have been writing lo these many months, the true (mostly) story of the origins of the Dance of the Dragons. The stand-alone stories, not part of any series, feature some amazing work as well. For those who like to lose themselves in long stories, the Brandon Sanderson story, the Diana Gabaldon story, the Caroline Spector story, and my "Princess and Queen" are novellas. Huge mothers."

Martin's contribution to this book was originally meant to be the fourth of his Dunk and Eg stories set roughly eighty years prior to A Game of Thrones, which was at least for a while tentatively titled "The She-Wolves", I think. From the comments section on his blog it sounds like Martin has "[postponed]"] that story rather than having in any way ditched it, and that it simply didn't work out for this particular anthology. Looking forward to this.