Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    45

    looking for three old novels

    I'm trying to find titles and authors of 3 novels I read back in the early 80's, and they were old then, so likely written in the 70's, maybe even the 60's. One was about a team of scientists, their minds put into tiny clones of themselves for an experiment. Naturally they were betrayed and had to defend against giant insects trying to stay alive. The other had 3 survivors from an escape pod using their powers on a primitive world. Girl was telekinetic, young man could teleport, older man could read minds. Third book involved five people taken at brink of death to fantasy world and trained for a mission. Black man with one white hand, big strong guy, girl is part wolf, guy with invisible sword, girl good with plants. Anyone?

  2. #2
    Live Long & Suffer psikeyhackr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sol III
    Posts
    2,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stone View Post
    One was about a team of scientists, their minds put into tiny clones of themselves for an experiment. Naturally they were betrayed and had to defend against giant insects trying to stay alive.
    Curious what the mind can toss up after decades when triggered.

    The Insect Warriors by Rex Dean Levie
    http://www.sfpaperbacks.com/display.php?book=348

    But I don't recall anything about clones in the story. Probably not what you described, but I recall thinking it was a really cool story but it would have been grade school. I even remember the picture.

    psik

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Curious what the mind can toss up after decades when triggered.

    The Insect Warriors by Rex Dean Levie
    http://www.sfpaperbacks.com/display.php?book=348

    But I don't recall anything about clones in the story. Probably not what you described, but I recall thinking it was a really cool story but it would have been grade school. I even remember the picture.

    psik
    Thanks but unfortunately that wasn't it. Looks like a good read though. You just can't go wrong with giant insects. I'm sure it involved mind transfers into miniature clones. Been driving me crazy for 20 years.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stone View Post
    Third book involved five people taken at brink of death to fantasy world and trained for a mission. Black man with one white hand, big strong guy, girl is part wolf, guy with invisible sword, girl good with plants. Anyone?
    This one sounds like Heroes of Zara Keep by Gregory (except for the invisible sword).

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    This one sounds like Heroes of Zara Keep by Gregory (except for the invisible sword).
    Yes! Thank You! That is indeed one of them! Thought I would never find it. Now I just have to buy one. Very much appreciated. How did you know?

  6. #6
    I believe I have it sitting in a box in my attic.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    45
    Good memory. Fortunate for me you kept yours. When I read it I was backpacking across Canada, which limited what I could carry, so paperbacks were traded in for new ones as I went from bookstore to bookstore, which seemed more plentiful back then. Thanks again!

  8. #8
    First one sounds like it could be Gordon Williams' 'The Micronauts'. I picked up a copy back in the 70s when I was just a kid because I thought it was a tie in with the toys of the same name that I was obsessed with at the time and even though it didn't seem to be I enjoyed it anyway. I just found out through googling it that it was novelization of a defunct movie script so there probably was a Hasbro link there somewhere. It's also one of those books that I always meant to pick up the sequels for when I saw them on the shelf, I'm OCD over having 'complete' collections, and now forty years later wish I had because never being that popular they're probably rarer than hen's teeth.
    Last edited by Jim diGriz; June 22nd, 2013 at 06:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    45
    Yes, that's it! I did think it might've been called The Micronauts, but I just thought I was confusing it with the action figures. Everytime I googled I found the Marvel comics version instead, though I admit I don't have the patience required for drawn-out searches, so I usually gave up after a page or two, hence the original question of this thread. I did own Acroyear for a while. No idea what happened to him.

    Never knew about the almost-made movie, nor about the sequels. It was just one of those books I picked up on the road, read in my tent by flashlight and traded in at some other bookstore. I read a bunch but these three books seemed to stick in my memory. Well, except for the titles and authors. Yeah, except for that.

    They appear to be available on Amazon, at not unreasonable prices. Maybe I'll buy them if I can't find them in a book store first. I prefer to support my local bookstores over the internet whenever possible.
    Thanks alot! Much appreciated! And I know what you mean about collections. When I was young I had the complete set of those old Star Trek novels, the ones with the numbers on them. Really wish I had kept them.

    Thanks again Slippery Jim. I loved the Stainless Steel Rat series. I still have four of H.H.'s original S.S.R. series. At least I kept those. I regret not keeping more of my earlier books.

    Well that's two out of three. So glad I asked the question. Just got to go to the right people. Looking forward to finding out about the last book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •