Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What fantasy novels do you think would translate well into anime?

Maybe it's because I've been on a big anime kick lately, but in reading the Black Company trilogy as I am right now, I can't help but see it unfolding before my eyes in anime style. Personally I think it would make a great anime series. Which leads me to ask, what fantasy works do you think have the potential of becoming good anime series/movies? To add some ideas, in a conversation via email I had with author John Marco (very nice guy, by the way), he said if his "Tyrants and Kings" were made into a film series, he could easily see it as an anime, which I heartily agree with. Also, with all the awesome sword work in it action, I think Salvatore's Drizzt Series would translate well, as would most of David Gemmell's works.

I agree some of the big action series like Salvatore's Drizzt stuff might adapt very well into anime. Also might be interesting to see how series like Drizzt -- which are based on western fantasy tropes complete with western monsters etc -- might be presented in a new way when drawn anime style.

One author whose stuff I've thought a couple times might respond to anime treatment well is Brandon Sanderson. From Elantris through Mistborn, Warbreaker, and now The Way of Kings, elements that feel very anime-esque [or at least anime friendly] pepper his work. The very mechanical, almost scientific, imput / output magic systems [runes in Elantris, colours in Warbreaker, absorbing Stormlight in Kings], the mystically-powered action sequences [alamantic showdowns in Mistborn, shardplate and lashing in Kings], seem ready-made. What is shardplate, after all, if not a human-sized mech? As a fantasy reader / gamer growing up during the eighties and nineties, Sanderson may well have been exposed to a good deal of anime; I can't remember whether he's cited any shows or manga as influences, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
    ________
    Airsoft Revolver
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 02:57 AM.

If any of you here is fan of the tv series Supernatural, there's an anime adaptation coming out. You can find the trailer/promo on youtube.

I think one that would work well for the anime crowd would be Twilight.

Also, the Tales of the Ketty Jay... in a Cowboy Bebop/Outlaw Star kind of way.

But seriously, just about anything could be adapted well into anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    If any of you here is fan of the tv series Supernatural, there's an anime adaptation coming out. You can find the trailer/promo on youtube.

Just finished watching Bebop and loved it. That would be epic.

I think Malazan would transfer really went in to anime form. As others said though, most things would.

I think D.J. MacHale's Pendragon series might have the potential to be a good anime, but it might also make a good live action series as well because I think it would translate better to television either way.

I think Matthew Stover's Caine series would translate well to anime. It takes place back and forth between a mechanical, techologically advanced future and a sort of classic fantasy other world. Plus tons of great fight scenes.

What more could you ask for really?

Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years Of Rice & Salt would make a fab anime...

I know of some novels that became graphic novels. Like Farseer Trilogy, and Elric saga.

I used to be a major Otaku, but not now. I got so bored of anime. The overexaduration, the lame plot, the working-up-the-ranks-of-bad-guys-per-arc like you're playing a game, the best friend/mentor/lover's inevitablely being the most powerful being in all of existance EVER, there only being one decent girl who is never as good as the guys unless she's in uniform with her norbs showing, the cutsey creatures (Okay, I like them), the idea of humour being someone falling over for the 50th time....

Then, anime tried to be surreal. Unimpressed.

Okay, rant abolished. xD

Fun question!

Mark Chadbourn's Age of Misrule series i'd love to see.

Also Steven Eriksons Malazan - probably the only other medium in which it could work.

Michael Marshall Smith's Only Forward would be v. interesting

Oh yes, and John C Wrights War of the Dreaming Series woudl be great

Possibly Clive Barkers Weaveworld and Imagica

Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    I used to be a major Otaku, but not now. I got so bored of anime. The overexaduration, the lame plot, the working-up-the-ranks-of-bad-guys-per-arc like you're playing a game, the best friend/mentor/lover's inevitablely being the most powerful being in all of existance EVER, there only being one decent girl who is never as good as the guys unless she's in uniform with her norbs showing, the cutsey creatures (Okay, I like them), the idea of humour being someone falling over for the 50th time....

Then, anime tried to be surreal. Unimpressed.

Okay, rant abolished. xD

Stop watching shounen then. There's plenty out there that doesn't fit that. Go watch something like Monster or Kurau Phantom Memory. Black Lagoon, Berserk..

Love Supernatural.
    An anime of the series would be great

Wink

Stop watching shounen then. There's plenty out there that doesn't fit that. Go watch something like Monster or Kurau Phantom Memory. Black Lagoon, Berserk..
    I forgot I'm not allowed an opinion, and if I express one am automatically not as educated as you in the genre.

Though, it would have to be something with alot of action and mythical elements to include the cinematic animations.

I guess SoT would... But only because I'm so hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    I forgot I'm not allowed an opinion, and if I express one am automatically not as educated as you in the genre.
    No one said anything about your opinion, but when you try to summarize a whole medium of entertainment based solely on one type of genre, then it simply falls short. Particularly when you start attacking it with comments like "lame plot".

It's like someone complaining about fantasy novels because they're tired of reading about wizards.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    I agree some of the big action series like Salvatore's Drizzt stuff might adapt very well into anime. Also might be interesting to see how series like Drizzt -- which are based on western fantasy tropes complete with western monsters etc -- might be presented in a new way when drawn anime style.
    Hell yes. I can imagine it done similar to Samurai Champloo, with the fast paced action and tons of blood.