Martins constant trips

has anyone here been keeping tracks on how often Martin is away going to comic cons, book signing, this and that?
    everytime i go to his blog it seems all he is ever talkling about is going somewhere else.
    he can do as he pleases of course but i sure wish he would talk about book progress along with it so it didnt come across like he was doing nothing.

He cannot win, simply put.

There are these things called laptops that let you write anywhere.

And right now in Bizzaro World . . .
    Martin never does interviews, never does cons, never does booksignings. Why is he hiding? Does he hate his fans? How do we know he still cares about this series? I mean, not even a blog??

Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    There are these things called laptops that let you write anywhere.
    Martin doesn't write when he travels, from what I know of him. I don't think it's particularly any of our business as to why this is.

As the GREAT Neil Gaiman so eloquently puts it:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    It would be nice if GRRM took a laptop out on the road, but he's addressed this before: whether it's because of all the distractions, or whether he's just a technophobe that can't handle using a laptop, he has said that he just can't write when he's on the road. It sucks, but what can you do?

I do think he takes an awful lot of trips (and always seems to complain when he gets home, about how much he hates plane travel, how he's getting too old for it, and how many emails pile up while he's away... that's right, he doesn't even check email when he travels). But to be fair, I saw him a couple weeks ago in Seattle and he specifically said that he's trying to say no to most of these new requests for appearances, book tours, conventions, etc., and he's trying to be a "good boy" and stay home to write more. I don't know what more we can really ask of the man.

i have no problem with him not writing while he is away, i have no doubt he jots ideas down and is constantly thinking about the series.
    and it is a double edged sword, he deserves every little bit attention he gets and really should be at every "con" in the world while the series, and tv show is the hot sh!t right now.
    i dunno, i just thought he would go for a different writing plan this time around after the disaster of the last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    As the GREAT Neil Gaiman so eloquently puts it:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.
    Good stuff!

The reason GRRM doesn't write when he's on the road is because he does not use a modern computer or word processor. He uses an ancient (roughly 30 years old) machine running WordStar, a non-WYSISWYG word processor which most people today would give up using in sheer frustration after five minutes. GRRM refuses to use anything more modern as that's what he's used to.

In theory, you could probably rig up an emulator on a laptop to allow GRRM to continue using the word processor on the road (and ensure he can continue working should the old machine stop working or explode or something), but he also likes to have all of his research books to hand, for info on medieval customs, heraldry etc. Again you could get round this in other ways (downloading ebook versions of reference texts etc), but GRRM has said he's quite stuck in his ways and has no real interest in learning completely different writing techniques at this stage.

I love Martin and what he's done for us but that is such an incredible shame.

Does seem like all the publicity events are only adding to the already large amount of time he takes to complete a novel. Doesn't help when the series seems like the plan for the series is only getting longer...