http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gaming Distractions

I have to confess that certain console games call to me when I probably should hit the keyboard. Games can be great for inspiration and some of my friends even write storylines and dialogue for computer games - so good multi-tasking there - but most of the time they draw me in with the promise of blood and excitement.

My latest distraction: Left 4 Dead 2.

I love the Left 4 Dead series: especially the online multiplayer. In the game you play four strangers thrown together during a zombie apocalype. It is therefore genius on the part of the game designers that the online multiplayer actually throws you together with three other players that you do not now. It repreoduces the dynamic of the fictional situation perfectly. Just like in zombie movies and fiction, some players form fast friendships - rescuing each other and exchanging medical supplies, weapons etc. Other players just go mental and try and kill each other (just like the archetypal characters who go paranoid and lose their cool in the films). Absolutely brilliant.

What video games distract you? Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sanders View Post
    In the game you play four strangers thrown together during a zombie apocalype. It is therefore genius on the part of the game designers that the online multiplayer actually throws you together with three other players that you do not now. It repreoduces the dynamic of the fictional situation perfectly.
    Unless you play with your friends, of course, which is arguably what's intended

And no games really distract me these days, to be honest.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    A guy I know from work is really keen on Day Z at the moment, even though it's apparently still in it's very early developmental stages.

http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Day Z. Will keep an eye out for that. What kind of game is it? First person shooter? Strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sanders View Post
    Day Z. Will keep an eye out for that. What kind of game is it? First person shooter? Strategy?
    It's a mod for the ARMA II military simulator. Note, not FPS (though it is that), but a military simulator.

PC only, too.

Rome: Total War still eats my life. I have actually bought a clock to put on my computer desk next to the monitor to prevent a repeat of an all too frequent scenario - me sitting down at around 8.00pm for a quick session of empire building, playing until I start to feel tired, and then looking around to see the clock on the wall behind me says 5.54am. God help me when the sequel is released.

Skyrim too, but I'm currently having glitches that render it unplayable. Bah.

The Total War games can be very addictive, especially with all the great mods that have been released over the years. I have 3 or 4 installations of RTW with different mods installed, and Two of Medieval 2 TW.
    There is just so much replay value in those games as no two campaigns are ever the same.