Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar

Steven Erikson... an interview

I'll be interviewing Steve Erikson on 28th June at the Humber Mouth Literary Festival (the Humber is a river in the North East of England on which sits the city of Hull, for those who don't know).

We're going to be talking about the creation, inspirations, content and themes of Steve's Malazan series and also his excellent novella output. If you've anything you'd like me to ask Steve, then please post it here and I'll ask as many as I can that I'm able to fit into the interview framework and time.

Try not to be TOO specific since many in the audience may not have the in-depth knowledge of Malazan fans.

I'll report Steve's responses back here and also provide links to any film or audio of the event.

Thanks in advance...
    James

This is a question I like to ask all authors, some hate it, but I will ask anyway.

What process do you take when you write? How do you write, do you follow a rigid outline or just go with the flow, specifically with a series as large and developed as his series. What recommendations do you have for aspiring authors?

Ok so that is more than one question but you get the idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
    This is a question I like to ask all authors, some hate it, but I will ask anyway.

What process do you take when you write? How do you write, do you follow a rigid outline or just go with the flow, specifically with a series as large and developed as his series. What recommendations do you have for aspiring authors?

Ok so that is more than one question but you get the idea.

Thanks
    The thing I don't like about these questions is that you can find the answer by looking up almost any past interview.

I can't think of any good questions, sorry.

End of Disc One - I disagree. My writing style has evolved over the years and Steven Erikson already had a unique approach that has also been refined. Yes, interviewers often ask this question but with someone like Steve, you're going to get an answer you don't necessarily expect...

Tytus - thanks. Post anymore that occur. Same goes for the rest of you at Sffworld...

Erikson is hands down the best author in the fantasy genre when it comes to being an interview object. Always good answers, and with the depth of his series there's always another question to ask.
    Also, he's been answering questions in detail over at TOR and also that ask-thingy what's it called so I honestly don't know what I'd ask him that I haven't read an answer to already.
    Maybe I'd ask him something about "Crack'd Pot Trail" as I am reading it now and find it a fantastic experiment in storytelling and a story where Steven the Writer is more present than Steven the Archaelogist.

What would you like me to ask him, Slynt? (haven't read that one, you see...)

Since after reading Ian Esslemont's latest addition to the Malazan world a question does come to mind. I noticed Esslemont picked up storylines that Steve originally started in his own series so I wanted to know do the two work together during the actual writing so that they stay in sync for how the story and/or characters are presented? Heh, or is it more of an every man for himself?

Quote Originally Posted by James Barclay View Post
    What would you like me to ask him, Slynt? (haven't read that one, you see...)
    Well, I would like to know his thoughts about whether in "Crack'd Pot Trail" it was the Writer Steven Erikson so present throughout the narrative, as compared to the Malazan cycle where it is often Steven the Archaelogist. Don't know if that made sense (perhaps to those who've read the novella)

Could you ask him how much of Kharkanas book 2 he has written, and how the style of the Kharkanas books will differ in comparison to the Malazan series (since he apparently is writing it differently)?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by James Barclay View Post
    End of Disc One - I disagree. My writing style has evolved over the years and Steven Erikson already had a unique approach that has also been refined. Yes, interviewers often ask this question but with someone like Steve, you're going to get an answer you don't necessarily expect...
    Maybe that's the question to ask then. Has his process changed and what would Erikson-2012 tell Erikson-1999 about writing, if he could. These have probably been asked as well, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by C-1 View Post
    Could you ask him how much of Kharkanas book 2 he has written, and how the style of the Kharkanas books will differ in comparison to the Malazan series (since he apparently is writing it differently)?

Thanks in advance.
    I'll second this. I want to know more about his future Malazan novels and I've often wondered how the Kharkanas will feel in comparison to his 10 book series.

My questions. And maybe even you guys can answer.

1) Besides Malazan Book of the Fallen, what side books has he written in the Malazan world? And what upcoming books does he plan to write?
    2) I have not yet, but after reading The Crippled God, will I have finished the Malazan series? Or is there any sort of sequel planned, or any other prequel such as Kharkanas? Like possibly(and hopefully) the story of how Icarium came to be.
    3) Does he have a degree in Philosophy as well as Archaeology? Many thought processes in Malazan are hardcore philosophical and very intelligent. If not a degree at least a profound understanding and curiosity?
    4) Any thoughts, plans, or inklings of Malazan becoming more than just a book. Another type of media. TV, Movie, Anime?

That's all I can think of right now.

Maybe you could ask him if Forge of Darkness can be read without first reading the entire Malazan sequence.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Maybe it's been asked before, but has he considered something entirely different - a book that has nothing to do with Malazan, ascendants, warrens, decks of cards, Bridgeburners or Bonehunters?

Thanks for all the questions you've posted so far, I really appreciate it and so will Steve. Keep 'em coming...