http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Literary Science Fiction

The science fiction genre is a broad church and includes even those who resist the classification. I particulary appreciate literary novelists Margaret Atwood and David Mitchell. My favourites: The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake for Atwood; Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas for Mitchell. Any other suggestions? Anyone else rate these authors?

http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, another one. Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let me Go'.

Toby Litt, Journey
    Philip Roth, The Plot Against America
    Liz Jensen, The Rapture, My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time
    John Fowles, A Maggot
    Lawrence Durrell, Tunc, Nunquam
    Jeanette Winterson, The Stone Gods
    Maggie Gee, The Ice People
    Owen Sheers, Resistance

... it's also worth checking out the Arthur C Clarke Award shortlist as they often pick out such novels.

The Sparrow; Children of God

Mary Doria Russell's duology is, to me, near the pinnacle of so-called literary science fiction. Beautiful, difficult, challenging, honest books. Seek them out!

I read The Prestige by Christopher Priest and Hyperion by Dan Simmons and found to be better books on literacy science fiction topic.If someone has leisure time must read these books really good books.

Books by award winning authors like Elizabeth A. Lynn, Robert Holdstock, Ursula K Le. Guin, Orson Scott Card are worth reading . All their books are fantastic. Their books take us to a new world of science fiction.You will get all the award winning books here.

Quote Originally Posted by mwsmedia View Post
    Mary Doria Russell's duology is, to me, near the pinnacle of so-called literary science fiction. Beautiful, difficult, challenging, honest books. Seek them out!
    This, completely and unreservedly. Those books are exceptional. If you hadn't posted them, I would have.

I've often found that if a book is considered to have literary merit, it is no longer allowed to be simply SF. I once had a blazing row with a dear friend who was somehow personally affronted that I'd said "1984" is science fiction. I don't see that this can reasonably be disputed, but she was aghast.

I'd add "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy to this list. The most harrowing book I have ever read, an utter masterpiece, but clearly in the realm of speculative fiction.

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    I'd add "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy to this list. The most harrowing book I have ever read, an utter masterpiece, but clearly in the realm of speculative fiction.
    Yep!

There are a number of short stories by some of the authors mentioned -- LeGuin in particular that certainly seem literary to me.

One I'll mention that may or may not be considered 'literary' but I love it is "The Ceiling" by Kevin Brockmeir:

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/...r_ceiling.html

I would suggest that the MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood falls into this category or will in the future similar to how The Handmaid's Tale did.

It's pretty amazing stuff,the writing technique,the story telling and the messages within the books.A compelling dystopian world with imperfect but compelling characters.

The Going-To-Bed Book

This book is short, but very, very cute. I know it will be a favorite book before bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sanders View Post
    Oh, another one. Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let me Go'.
    I've only read his short story on the new yorker. I'm going to have to try this one!