There are so many excellent (and terrible) science-fiction and fantasy books out there to read. You can spend your entire lifetime poring through seemingly infinite pages of all the stories ever written, and it would still be a small trickle of the time you would need to actually finish the endeavor. The question becomes, “What to read next?” My resounding answer: “The God Device” by Renny Jachowicz. I purchased this e-book through amazon.com and was completely enthralled by the idea and the tragedy that followed as the main heroes spiraled to such utter oblivion that it was hard not to be at least a little sad (I am not ashamed to admit that I was very moved by the ending and still fall asleep thinking about it). The book is about a very intelligent man named Theodore and his circle of friends. The world is about to meet its proverbial end and the group downloads their ‘essences’ into a machine which enables them to exist in perpetuity within an artificial afterlife. There is nothing artificial about their newfound home to the members of this group, that is, until they start to question the reality and meaning of their very existences. It’s hard for me to put into words how deeply philosophical and cerebral this story truly is. It’s amazing that for such a quick read, so many profundities can be awakened! Spoiler alert! This book does not have a happy ending - it is devastatingly morose and oddly satisfying in a manner which leads to serious questions about the nature of human beings. If you’re like me, you’ll find yourself asking whether an afterlife is worth living if it ends up like it did for Theodore. Make this your next read because it is a very unique one, destined to become something that you‘ll always remember. I would have loved to have had this novel in my curriculum - the essays would have been epic!