Hybrid View

Blog Entries

July-August SS Contest

Wow. TMSO just informed me I won the last round. I've been suicidal and away so I'm sorry this is only now being announced, but the new theme is

INSANITY

Are you crazy? Are the people around you crazy? Is the whole freaking Universe crazy????

Let us know. 2500 wd minimum. 10K max, please.

I'll put the voting post up August 25th.

Rock on and thanks for keeping me here.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great theme, and glad you are wih us. Very glad.

Congratulations, AZimmer23 and cheers for a new short story contest First thought that came to mind was that yes, indeed, most people around me are insane, second thought was H.P. Lovecraft and Insanity points in the Call of Chtulhu roleplaying game. I think I'll have to chew on a third option for the story.

Edit: Wow, I was struck by something (not lightning though weather reports suggest we may have thunder and lightning here today) and am on a roll already. My goal now is to get it done quickly so that I can spend the remaining contest time getting feedback and polish it before voting. Because it is the final edit before voting that counts, right?
    Last edited by R.J.; July 14th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Congrats for the win, and thanks for the great read last month.

Well this shouldn't be too difficult, since I often write on the subject already. 10,000 words though. . . I've done 5000, I've done 15,000. What can I write in 10,000 words?
    Last edited by norm; July 14th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by norm View Post
    Congrats for the win, and thanks for the great read last month.

Well this shouldn't be too difficult, since I often write on the subject already. 10,000 words though. . . I've done 5000, I've done 15,000. What can I write in 10,000 words?
    You don't have to hit 10K! It's not the length, it's the quality.

(insert running joke here.. and here)

Blog Entries
    I set the 10k word limit not so much for the writers but for the reader/judges. We're all working on our shorts, our flashes and (some of us) on stories for the apocalypse anthology, not to mention our novels and our lives. I'm not going to be such a hard nose that I'm going to check with MS Word but reading 10 12k stories can be a bit daunting, so I set that limit. Still 10k is a pretty meaty story.

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slynt View Post
    My goal now is to get it done quickly so that I can spend the remaining contest time getting feedback and polish it before voting. Because it is the final edit before voting that counts, right?
    Reading all the entries for this one is a big commitment. I can't speak for anyone else, but I typically read stories when they are posted (or as soon as I can), and, particularly if it's a long one, I will not come back to it later. First impressions are vital, edits are wasted on my kind. IMO you should not be posting things publicly until they are completely finished in your eyes.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zachariah View Post
    IMO you should not be posting things publicly until they are completely finished in your eyes.
    I agree, however, in practice, I rarely follow it. I'm trying to do that this month, but I fear I won't get past the feeling that it totally sucks to put it up. That's why I usually just throw it up there as soon as I can, because otherwise, I just trash it. (shrug)

Do what works, Slynt. But do keep in mind what zachariah mentioned. Though I do read an entry more than once, my first impression rarely (okay, never) changes. Sad, but true.

Blog Entries
    I personally hate having that message at the bottom of my posts that says Last edited by norm. Reason: He didn't edit his story properly. I don't like posting until I feel that the story is done to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by norm; August 8th, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: A typo. Damn.