http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What Would Rob Do? The Kobayashi Maru

From time to time I entertain the notion that I might have survived the fictional difficulties endured by characters in some of my favourite science fiction films.

I detail my solutions in a regular feature on my blog called What Would Rob Do? I have examined what I might have done aboard the Nostromo in Ridley Scott's 'Alien' and at Outpost 31 in John Carpenter's 'The Thing'. Today I detail how I would have handled the Kobayashi Maru from Nicholas Meyer's 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan'.

Check out my solution (see the Promotion Zone) and see if you can better it! I fully expect to have my ass handed to me by an observant franchise fan!

Having hindsight makes things far easier in any given situation as you already know what methods and strategies were employed and what degrees of success or failure they accomplished.
    Take Alien for example...

Plan A isolate and quarantine possibly infested crew members.

Failure due to treacherous android opening door.

Plan B remove creature from Kane.

Failure due to acid blood and hugger throttling Kane when threatened.

Plan C Search and capture in groups.

Failure as the crew were unaware the Alien was fully grown and lethal, plus the ship's cat was running loose giving false readings.

Plan D Isolate and destroy/flush alien from air vents.

Failure due to unreliable tracking system and death of crew member.

Anyway you get the idea.

Your own solution could fail on the same principles of Plan D. There is no positive way to be sure the alien was successfully flushed from the ship and I imagine the Nostromo could only be fully re-pressurised a finite number of times due to depleting oxygen/nitrogen levels.