Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar

Revolution, on NBC

I fall for the post-apocalyptic theme as easily as I do for anything. So it's not a big surprise that I'm going to be all over this show when it begins airing this fall.

Anyone else lining up for this series release?

I am DEFINITELY looking forward to it! I am a sucker for all things apocalyptic, and post-apocalyptic.

I actually want the series to start this coming Tuesday, but it seems like my vote does not sway the network.

It is JJ Abrams, and I'm willing to give most of his non-Tom Cruise starring stuff a try. He usually has good ideas for stories.

The Olympics is good for something... I saw an add for it for the first time while watching beach volleyball... Looked pretty cool. May give me a reason to watch fall network TV that doesn't have "football" in the title.

Talking Sounds Interesting

It sounds like it might be an interesting show, look forward to seeing the first episode.

Is this loosely based on Dies The Fire by SM Stirling?

Another elment that intrigues me is that Giancarlo Esposito is looking like the bad guy in this thing. Anybody who has seen is stellar work on Breaking Bad* knows he is an extremely talented actor (and could very well take the Emmy from Dinklage this year) who can pull of calm, calculated and menacing very well.

*I'm just starting watching season four so no spoilers, please.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glelas View Post
    I don't know that Abrams' has made any such mention, but a quick Google search brought up posts that ranged from charging Abrams as a fraud, to claiming that a post-apocalyptic

Spoiler:
    change in the laws of physics

is a trope that has been well traveled. Not sure what to make of it, but I'm sure the discussion will continue and the opinions will abound...especially if it does well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glelas View Post
    It looks very similiar, at least based on the initial premise. It will be interesting to see where JJ Abrams takes it. I wonder if he "borrowed" the idea from Stirling's Emberverse series?

Too bad it wasn't a collaberation. I wouldn't mind seeing Dies the Fire and it's multiple sequels made into an ongoing series. Abrams would make a better job of it than most.

I don't know,but I'd say you see something on tv, but if you're talking about a character, you will see the character in the tv show.

Blog Entries
    Ok finally saw the preview on hulu yesterday and aside from the premise, this show has nothing to do with Dies the Fire or any of the other novels in the Emberverse series by SM Stirling. Stirling's books start right before the event and flows forward from there. This show starts 15 years after the event. Also in Stirling's books gunpowder stops working also though from the preview it's still a going concern on the TV show.
    Nonetheless I'll probably watch it just to see how it pans out. There is precious little else worth watching.
    Honestly the Emberverse series would probably not work on network TV anyway. Too much violence, small doses of sex and controversial issues. As the series progresses, it moves from a modern-day disaster story almost to a classic fantasy. Someone like HBO, Starz, or Showtime would have to pick it up in order to do it right.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dies the Fire was the first thing I thought of when I saw the previews for the show. Saw a 5 minute preview from the first episode. Not sure what to make of it. Looks like a cross between Dies the Fire and Hunger Games. I'll give it a shot but really don't think I will stick with the show.

I'm very confused by the previews. I'm not sure how the power going out leads (within 15 years) to gunpowder NOT working (I didn't see any guns in the ads, just a lot of crossbows and swords). It's odd to see how quickly people rediscovered swordplay also. We are going to give it a shot but we're not expecting much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I'm very confused by the previews. I'm not sure how the power going out leads (within 15 years) to gunpowder NOT working (I didn't see any guns in the ads, just a lot of crossbows and swords). It's odd to see how quickly people rediscovered swordplay also. We are going to give it a shot but we're not expecting much.
    Sorry to create the confusion. It was in Stirling's books that gunpowder (and even steam power) stopped working. The why of it is never addressed.

In the TV show preview that I saw a guy was definitely shot with a muzzle-loading musket. Perhaps guns were still around but finding ammunition and gunpowder was getting more and more difficult? Sounds improbable but then the whole premise is sort of silly. I'll have to watch a few episodes to see how everything plots out.

I suspect, much like in Stirling's books, one will have to suspend logic for quite a bit on the premise to enjoy the story that flows from it.

Well that was just silly and dumb. Nobody has a tan. Or a dog. Or practical clothing. Or dirt on them. Or a believable physique. I'm out.