Hybrid View

Good Dragon Movies

Really, I havn't seen too many movies out there where dragons are the main focus. And of the few there are, fewer still are any good.

Dragonheart was an okay movie, but the sequel was utter crap.

Eragon, well, even fans of the book admit the movie was garbage.

Firebreather... let's not go there.

Really, the only dragon movie I can think of that was really good was How to Train Your Dragon (my favorite movie of all time).

Has anyone here seen a dragon movie that you thought was pretty good?

Blog Entries

Dragonslayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayan View Post
    Really, I havn't seen too many movies out there where dragons are the main focus. And of the few there are, fewer still are any good.

Dragonheart was an okay movie, but the sequel was utter crap.

Eragon, well, even fans of the book admit the movie was garbage.

Firebreather... let's not go there.

Really, the only dragon movie I can think of that was really good was How to Train Your Dragon (my favorite movie of all time).

Has anyone here seen a dragon movie that you thought was pretty good?
    Dragonslayer is an early 1980's movie starring Peter Macnichol with a decent story and, for the time, an awesome stop motion dragon. Definitely worth a look. Also, the animated Hobbit has Smaug of course and there is a little known animated movie called A Flight of Dragons form tv time that is actually pretty satisfying. A more recent CG animated movie that is very good is called Dragon Hunters.

You beat me to it, Gkarlives - Dragonslayer is one of the most underrated fantasy films ever made. I'm entirely serious, it is up there with the best of them. No wonder it got a sneaky little homage in Game of Thrones.

Dragonslayer is a great suggestion. I'd also suggest Reign of Fire and don't forget HP: Goblet of Fire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonDoggie View Post
    Dragonslayer is a great suggestion. I'd also suggest Reign of Fire and don't forget HP: Goblet of Fire.
    I held off on Reign of Fire. While the dragons were cool, the story was weak (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives View Post
    I held off on Reign of Fire. While the dragons were cool, the story was weak (IMO).
    True, it was definitely another movie which could have been so much more. But, as you said the dragons were cool.

Banned

One fer shur, maybe two good dragon movies...

A. "Reign of Fire" (Christian Bale, Gerard Butler)
    Maybe the best out there in conception and execution. Good CGI
    B. "Dragon Wars"
    A bit juvenile for adult tastes, maybe (but one might argue the entire subject is juvenile).
    Outstanding visuals, IMHO.
    However, the puny humans just got out of the way of the CGI, and the extent of their acting, for the most part, was in plastering amazed and horrified looks on their faces.

I agree with your assemssment on the listed movies 100%, dragons must be hard to do for hollywood.

Dragonheart gets an automatic +20% by havine Sean Connery in it. Even un-watchable movies get a pass for having Sean Connery in them.

Reign of Fire with Christian Bale and Matthew McConnaughy (or however you spell his name) was an ok movie. Definitely watchable but certainly not anything to write home about.

Banned

Reign of Fire...

...was superb, at least from this writer's perspective. The idea of how they ate, and the part their firy breath played in that. The nature of the human sanctuary. The darkness in which this movie is enveloped. Then, of course the comic relief generated by McCaunaghey., "He with the Little Man Complex" (watch carefully when he steps up on a box or something so as to look Butler or Bale in the eye during a tense moment. )
    Dragonheart was a great movie, great premise, w/ a great choice of Connery as the VO for the dragon.

Great recommendations, everyone. Thanks.

By the way, did anyone else catch the preview of the new TV show based on How to Train Your Dragon? Well for those of you who haven't seen it, here's all you need to know: it sucked. Does not measure up to the film at all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how Smaug is portrayed in the new The Hobbit series. And after that, Peter Jackson says he's interested in making a mini-series based on Temeraire. Definitely looking forward to that too.

A house on a hill somewhere in Australia.
    Blog Entries
    Ah, Reign of Fire. I remember it rocking.

The first (?) Dungeons and Dragons movie... not even closely.