Registered User Desperate_Dalek's Avatar

So many books, so little time........

hi I need your help. I need to decide what book to take on holiday. I'm currently reading Consider Phlebas, but what next? this is what I'm considering -

Dune

The Last Colony by Scalzi

The many coloured land by Julian May

Marune: Alastor 993

The company of the dead by Kowalski

What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate_Dalek View Post
    hi I need your help. I need to decide what book to take on holiday. I'm currently reading Consider Phlebas, but what next? this is what I'm considering -

Dune

The Last Colony by Scalzi

The many coloured land by Julian May

Marune: Alastor 993

The company of the dead by Kowalski

On style and ease of reading, Scalzi seems like excellent holiday reading to me -- cant see that being a bad choice. I read Dune and Many Colored Land too long ago to really say much, but I personally thought that May's more recent series was not good, which soured me on a re-read of Many Colored Land. If you do read Many Colored Land, I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

I am not familiar with the other two.

The Last Colony only makes sense if you have read the first two Old Mans War books. Otherwise Dune. I do not know the last two.

This is why we need categories for book characteristics.

psik

Alastor 993.
    Can never go wrong with Vance. I haven't read that one yet (have the omnibus though - if that counts for anything), but it's mid-career Jack Vance, and that's just about all I need to know about it.

Read interesting books
    Scalzi is junk, Dune is overrated but a classic, The Many Coloured lands was good at the time but is dated while i have not read the Kowalski one (looked at but not for me); however Alastor is one my big time favorites from J. Vance and still quite enjoyable as is all Vance from the 70's on (the first 2 stories -Trullion and Marune - are awesome, the third, Wyst, is quite good though not on par with the others) so I would go with that

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Scalzi is junk
    Seriously? There is obviously a reason Scalzi is so popular and well rated by the masses. The ideas arent the most original, the plots not particularly complex or layered, but the writing is just accessible and fun. For me, when talking about a vacation read, accessible and fun is exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate_Dalek View Post
    Here's what you do. Pick one. Then ask yourself how you feel. If you feel good, then that's the one. If you feel uneasy, then it's not the one. Ask yourself which one you wish you had picked. Then that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    This is why we need categories for book characteristics.
    Different readers have different priorities. That is why we need a multi-scale rating system and every reader needs to decide what he values.

Scalzi is junk? That is a bit much. But you need to read more than the first book. I read the first one and just regarded it as OK but not impressive. All three books are better than just the first one.

But making money in the sci-fi business means appealing to a lot of readers with mediocre tastes and then there are various groups of elitists. LOL So every reader must figure out what s/he likes.

psik

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

If Scalzi is junk then junk seems to be highly under-rated.

Registered User Desperate_Dalek's Avatar

thanks for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by privateidaho View Post
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.

If Scalzi is junk then junk seems to be highly under-rated.

At the moment I'm getting a good feeling when I hold Scalzi and Vance , they could be the winners.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised by the advise, I was expecting a resounding vote for Dune!
    Ye just can't beat some health clash of opinion.

Thanks a million
    DD