Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    "Dime Store Rock"
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    372

    I lost my To Buy List

    Two days ago I realized that I lost my list of books I want to buy that I made about a year ago. I probably should have written it on multiple pieces of paper and kept them seperated.

    I'm currently combing through suggestion threads on here to try to rebuild my list. I doubt I will find them all but what I'm really looking for from you guys is:

    A list of good space opera books and book series released in 2011 and 2012. I haven't been keeping up with new releases since I made the list so this will help ALOT.

    Thanks in advance,

    Asimovking

  2. #2
    Live Long & Suffer psikeyhackr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sol III
    Posts
    2,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    Two days ago I realized that I lost my list of books I want to buy that I made about a year ago. I probably should have written it on multiple pieces of paper and kept them seperated.
    It was supposed to be stored on your computer.

    What kind of primitive society are you living in that still uses paper.

    psik

  3. #3
    Vanaeph Westsiyeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    898
    Not the books to list but a suggestion where to keep them - have you tried Goodreads? It's a good site for keeping track of all your books to read...

  4. #4
    "Dime Store Rock"
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    It was supposed to be stored on your computer.

    What kind of primitive society are you living in that still uses paper.

    psik
    Lol the paper was supposed to be a back up in case something happened to the computer. Well something happened to the computer and my stack of books finally got low enough for me to go looking for the paper version of my list and I can't find it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Not the books to list but a suggestion where to keep them - have you tried Goodreads? It's a good site for keeping track of all your books to read...
    Thanks.


    ..........


    I'm also looking for some good military sci fi. I like the Honor Harrington series alot. I just finished the fourth book Field of Dishonor. However, the series is filled with alot of conversations that you can almost completely skip over without missing anything. Not much actually happens, especially in books 3 and 4. I am looking for some series that are good, but that aren't that similar to Honor Harrington series.
    Last edited by Asimovking; July 17th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Orthodox Herbertian Omphalos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    330
    Are there really not, like, 50 threads around here with the title "Great Space Opera books listed here!&$%&!!"?

  6. #6
    "Dime Store Rock"
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Omphalos View Post
    Are there really not, like, 50 threads around here with the title "Great Space Opera books listed here!&$%&!!"?
    And I am looking through them. In this thread I am looking for ones from 2011 and 2012 only. If you can link me to a thread that lists them then awesome.

    Also I need to find some military sf threads.

  7. #7
    It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Widdershins
    Posts
    2,065
    I'll second the Goodreads tip. You can access the site via a phone app when you're in the bookstore / library, and you can also access reviews, synopsis in case you forgot why you put a particular book on the list.

  8. #8
    Live Long & Suffer psikeyhackr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sol III
    Posts
    2,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    I'm also looking for some good military sci fi. I like the Honor Harrington series alot. I just finished the fourth book Field of Dishonor. However, the series is filled with alot of conversations that you can almost completely skip over without missing anything. Not much actually happens, especially in books 3 and 4. I am looking for some series that are good, but that aren't that similar to Honor Harrington series.
    I think the Antares Trilogy is better than the first three books of the Harrington series. Not as much melodramatic crap as Weber does.

    Antares Dawn by Michael McCollum
    Antares Passage
    Antares Victory

    http://3mpub.com/mccollum/sfaz-04g.htm

    But I also think $40 is too much.

    We should have a system where books are given away free and readers send a dollar to the author or what they think it was worth.

    The TRUE COST of a book is the TIME IT TAKES TO READ IT. So how much is 4 or 5 hours of your time worth?

    psik

  9. #9
    "Dime Store Rock"
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    I think the Antares Trilogy is better than the first three books of the Harrington series. Not as much melodramatic crap as Weber does.

    Antares Dawn by Michael McCollum
    Antares Passage
    Antares Victory

    http://3mpub.com/mccollum/sfaz-04g.htm

    But I also think $40 is too much.

    We should have a system where books are given away free and readers send a dollar to the author or what they think it was worth.

    The TRUE COST of a book is the TIME IT TAKES TO READ IT. So how much is 4 or 5 hours of your time worth?

    psik
    I'm used to reading Peter F Hamilton and George RR Martin. I've never come close to finishing one of their books in 4-5 hours

    I kinda like the idea of the system though. But I don't imagine many people would send in money.
    Last edited by Asimovking; August 1st, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Orthodox Herbertian Omphalos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimovking View Post
    .....If you can link me to a thread that lists them then awesome.....
    Oh! Sorry! Of course. Here you go!

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=good+space+opera+books

  11. #11
    Registered User MattNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    544

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    The TRUE COST of a book is the TIME IT TAKES TO READ IT. So how much is 4 or 5 hours of your time worth?

    psik
    To me, it is the quality. A perfect example of that for me is Animal Farm by George Orwell. It has been one of my favorites for quite awhile now. Less than a hundred pages, but I feel it is worth 10x more than most books I have read.

  12. #12
    Registered User livens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    322
    Hi AK,

    Since you lost your buy list, you can have mine. I think most of these are from 2000+.

    Iain M Bank's Culture novels and his 3 stand alone scifi novels.
    Greg Egan - Incandesence
    Alastair Reynold's - all of it
    Peter Hamilton - Great North Road
    Gary Gibson - Final Days
    M. John Harrison - Empty Space (the first too also if you dont have them
    Michael Flynn - The January Dancer, In the Lions Mouth, Up Jim River
    Chris Beckett - Dark Eden
    Eric Brown - Necropath
    James S.A Corey - Calibans War (the others in this trilogy as well)
    John C Write - The Hermetic Millenia (this is a big maybe, reviews are all over the place on him)
    Joe Haldeman - Camouflage

    As others have said, there are many threads on here listing everyones wanted and favorites. I went through them and picked what sounded good to me.

    And yes, backup your list next time!

  13. #13
    Rogue Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    903
    I have some book lists somewhere, I always tried to take them when I hit a bookstore, because when I get there, its like I go brain dead and cannot think of the ones I want. I guess I need to start a new one. Yeah this site and the good book review blogs should get you what you need pretty quick.

  14. #14
    "Dime Store Rock"
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by livens View Post
    Hi AK,

    Since you lost your buy list, you can have mine. I think most of these are from 2000+.

    Iain M Bank's Culture novels and his 3 stand alone scifi novels.
    Greg Egan - Incandesence
    Alastair Reynold's - all of it
    Peter Hamilton - Great North Road
    Gary Gibson - Final Days
    M. John Harrison - Empty Space (the first too also if you dont have them
    Michael Flynn - The January Dancer, In the Lions Mouth, Up Jim River
    Chris Beckett - Dark Eden
    Eric Brown - Necropath
    James S.A Corey - Calibans War (the others in this trilogy as well)
    John C Write - The Hermetic Millenia (this is a big maybe, reviews are all over the place on him)
    Joe Haldeman - Camouflage

    As others have said, there are many threads on here listing everyones wanted and favorites. I went through them and picked what sounded good to me.

    And yes, backup your list next time!
    Thanks. I added Dark Eden by Beckett and Light by Harrison.

  15. #15
    I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted somewhere to post this since it probably doesn't deserve it's own thread.

    A week ago I lost my book document. It's an HTM file that contains what I've read, how I rated it, what I want to read, some various info and links etc. I update it pretty much weekly. I kept it in 3locations(thumb drive at work, desktop at home, and a web FTP that hosts the doc so I can share it via a website. You may have seen me post it before http://chris.phob.net/books.htm - it's currently in corrupt form). So last week I saved a new version, sent it to my desktop(overwrote the file), and uploaded to my FTP(overwrote file) before realizing it was corrupt and I basically just lost everything. Couldn't get a previous version, tried recovery apps. I've been in IT for 15years, there was no getting it back. It was dumb to overwrite those files w/out saving an "old" copy or versioning. I was able to find a version from back in Dec 2012 though. Had to edit quite a bit to get it near to what I had it before, I'm sure I am missing things still.

    The main reason for me posting is to state what I am now doing with this file. GOOGLE DRIVE! It's amazing. You install this small sync tool onto your PC, select a folder, and it synchronizes and versions your file automatically. So when I make any change, it's automatically saved to google drive AND you can select the file details and see a version history in google drive. And that's not even the best part.
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B6E6Za...nZWTGtMVm9ta28
    It hosts the file for you!! It's like a free webhosting with LIVE updates. Since it sync's automatically, any change I make will be on this website automatically, and automatically versioned if I want to go back.

    Just wanted to share that!

    P.S. You can basically host a full website for free on googledrive.com. There is a couple steps you must preform to achieve the hosting. It's more about finding the correct URL to put in your browser, otherwise you just a plain text file of your doc. I will post directions if anyone is interested.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •