Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The appeal of Final Fantasy

Yeah I just had to post this. Discuss or not, I thought it was a funny spin on the big main forum thread.

Final Fantasy seems to be as much as (or more than possibly) a cultural phenomenon as epic fantasy right now. If you're part of my generation you're at least aware of these games and they definitely have their own set of tropes, story and otherwise.

So just what is it we love about these games so much? I've been playing the first for a week now for the first time since I was a kid and loving every minute of it. The gameplay remains largely the same, so is it new approaches to the story that keep people coming back? Watching your characters go from fragile weaklings to godlike paragons?

Food for thought: The Final Fantasy title count (including offshoots and such) rivals Mario. I'm not sure on the actual numbers, but final fantasy has more main line titles and a bunch of it's own offshoots to boast (Kingdom Hearts, Tactics etc.)

The Final Fantasy series had all the elements of a classic RPG. Nice development of skills, diversity of characters to choose in the group and generally a pretty good storyline and history.
    I've only played 7 & 8 (liked 7 the best) but the simplicity of the combat and controls made them very user friendly and compelling.

They also had a unique meld of fantasy and sci-fi that is typical of the Japanese manga style.

Cheers Khan I highly recommend going back and giving 1, 4 and 6 a try though. Part 4 was such a groundbreaking game, they tried some story elements in that one that they haven't touched with a 10' pole since (thinking of Rydia here especially).

I haven't played X or X-2, although I did try XI, man did I ever get bored with that after awhile, although my Galka monk was pretty solid. Has there been a decline or is it simply that they haven't innovated enough?

Chrystyna

Smile Hi all

I am currently playing X at the moment i have found it to be a good game but there are not as many Aeons in X as there were in 7 or 8.
    8 was good because of the fact that you could draw off the monsters there is a down side to that though as when you use them you have to go an draw more which is repative and can be annoying 7 had a good story line.
    9 well need i say more but that im pleased they went back to people instead of cartoony type characters

as my avatar shows I liked the cartoony characters myself. They were there first! :P lol

They definitely tried on some different hats with 8 but overall it didn't do it for me. Junction is a neat idea as a gaming mechanic but it just seemed so weird that people would have to do that. Imagine if you had to draw fire magic from your cat if you wanted to be stronger

I think the main problem with FF8 was the sort of dependancy on the summon beasts or "Guardian Force" creatures that seemed to be the backbone of the magic system.
    The more you used them the faster they got etc, but there wasn't enough development of the actual combat skills of the characters themselves.
    Plus acquiring new weapons for you posse was bloody hard to do as you actually had to build them yourself using bits of leftovers from defeated monsters etc. Or wierder yet, turn monsters into cards and cards into monster parts!?

lol yeah the ff8 gods must be on some really expensive crack.

Registered User + Abuser
    wat do u guys think about the magic systems of the games?

In my mind they perfected the magic system in FF7, man i just loved materia and watching it grow and become more powerful

Frankly I prefer the ones like 1,4, and 9 when not just any character can learn magic. To me it kind of deflates the whole idea if just any old chum who finds a materia/esper/guardian force can start flinging around deadly combat magic. Furthermore when your whole party can use ultima who's going to bother with swords really? This has ALWAYS been a gripe I've had since part 6 came out, and I was happier than I can say when part 9 came along and finally offered a game with a line between melee classes and casters.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon
    Furthermore when your whole party can use ultima who's going to bother with swords really?
    That's a good point SJ. In more traditional RPG's there is a clearly defined line between fighters, mages, thiefs etc, and it's far too easy to summon a menagerie of ultimate beasties to do your fighting for you.
    However FF parties are limited to three active members (in my experience of ff7 & ff8) so I suppose you need them to be good all rounders.
    But then I find console games are generally more simplified than their PC equivalents.

Well I've been playing the heck out of a Final Fantasy 2 US emulation, and although I've known for a long time it was far different from the Japanese Final Fantasy IV I never knew how much. Apparently the version they actually translated for the US is known as FFIV Easymode. D'oheth! All this time I've been a big fish in the kiddy pool. When I saw the FFIV on PSX with all the extra moves and stuff I thought that that stuff was new but apparently it's just more true to the original.

One of the more interesting things I found out was that in the original they explained Kaine more, as in gave light to this other aspect of his character that he's trying to live up to his father's legacy as a dragoon, despite the king wanting or his father or both wanting him to be a dark knight like Cecil.

So there were material differences between US FF2 and Japanese FF4? Interesting. Too bad they didn't do a complete transfer. Even then though there was nothing like FF2 out in the market that I can remember when it came out. Maybe Zelda: A Link to the Past was the best comparable game from that time but I think that came later along with Secret of Mana. I liked the twists in the story and how new characters would join and worlds would open up. The opponents had personalities too I still remember Rubicant being the honorable elemental boss and how you had to use your head and not just brute force in figuring out how to defeat the queen of the fairies Ashura. That's probably still my favorite Final Fantasy game even if only for nostalgic reasons although I'm sure it still holds up pretty well.

I didn't enjoy FF3 (US) as much. Cannot really say why. Maybe it's just that I was older and harder to impress. That or the story wasn't as intriguing. FF2 had mystery and betrayal mixed in it. The tension between Cecil and Kain was good and the anticipation of Rydia coming into her own was something to look forward to. FF3 simply had a power mad Gestahl and Kefka. I think the character General Leo was wasted a bit and Terra was a boring lead. Yes everyone having Ultima at the end made things repetitive too.

Still FF3 I thought was great. FF8 was a waste. If they just fixed the summoning so that you could use it without constantly waiting for the animation to finish it may actually have been excellent. The story towards the end was kinda dumb too. A shame, it had some really good things going for it.

I don't know what the hubbub over FF7 is. I got halfway through it and gave up on it. I wasn't interested.

FF9 is probably my favorite of the newer ones, cartoony creatures and maudlin embarassing moments aside.

FF10 I have hardly played so cannot make a good judgment. The beginning didn't captivate me though.

Haven't played the later ones.

I liked the story in FF7 but by far the one I have had the most fun playing and the deepest story I have gotten into was Final Fantasy Tactics for both the PS1 and GBA They are great and underapreciated games.

I just want to reiterate in my ff thread for anyone who's tired of the newer final fantasy offerings that Tales of Symphonia is pretty awesome. It really deserves more of my time than it gets (stupid siren calls from the To Be Read Pile! 300 some pages into The Stand now!)

I've never found Tactics to be underrated, everyone I talk to about it loves it pretty thoroughly, myself included, it's just it's a different style of game mechanics to the point that I don't really think of it as an honest to god final fantasy game, it's an honest to god final fantasy tactics game!

Talking

FF7 HAS to be the best. The fantasy plot involved captured me from the very beginning. The characters moods, the looks... It was perfect. God only knows WHO could have come up with that music, which is perfect and amazing. The dialogue was funny, sometimes upsetting, sometimes happy, I just sucked it up like a baby with bannanas. I mean, c'mon, when Cloud is relaying a story of his past, you have the choice of talking about how you found a pair of sythetic underwear as well as reading a letter from a member of your love-triangle. That's another thing, it depends on how well you treat the girls. If you are more nicer to one than the other then you can go on a date with her. It's odd, and those who have played the game know what I'm talking about, but It's really fun. The problem is that they are continuosly getting bad. FF8, however, was pretty good; just an inkling under FF7. Now the dang thing is online. What if I don't have good internet?! What if I can't spend that much money? It's all pretty much a sham to get you to pay more. That is pretty sad. The only cool thing I have ever heard happening with the FF online is that they added in a thing where you can get married. Yep... You have to be a certain level and know the person you're marrying very well, but otherwise... well... (Oh, yeah, and you can't be the same sex, mind you. There was a small issue over that... I can't imagine why) I think the FF's WERE good because of the plot. I found myself only wanting to play the game because I wanted to see what would happen next! Thats the only reason, for me.