Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Artist, Cartoonist & Dude Action Avenue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    BLASPHEMY! Ah, ok, the Jaws book was very, very good, but the film itself is in my top three of all time, so it edges it. But only just. The book itself had that great little side-story including 'the affair', and definitely had a lot more life and edge to it. But the film... the film... genius.

Loerwyn - agreed. When I knew the True Grit film was being remade I downloaded the book to my phone... and wasn't overly impressed.

Solaar
    and Bruce
    That's what makes the world go around, different strokes for different folks, so to speak. The subplot of the affair in the book, Jaws, is one of the things I did not like. Found it to be an unnecessary distraction. We can agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDan View Post
    Lord of the Rings.

What?
    Lord of the Ring is a movie, and its very nice and good movie i really like it..

I have to agree with Action Avenue, the novel Jaws is pretty weak sauce. There's just no build to it. Hooper's affair with Brody's wife is laughable, as is the subplot of the mayor wanting to keep the beaches open because he needs the money to pay his mob debts. And in the end, the shark just sinks because they finally injured it enough. Really unsatisfying.

Artist, Cartoonist & Dude Action Avenue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    I have to agree with Action Avenue, the novel Jaws is pretty weak sauce. There's just no build to it. Hooper's affair with Brody's wife is laughable, as is the subplot of the mayor wanting to keep the beaches open because he needs the money to pay his mob debts. And in the end, the shark just sinks because they finally injured it enough. Really unsatisfying.
    Yes, indeed. The movie was so much more intense and gratifying. In my haste to make the original post, I forgot to mention all other story elements that seemed to weaken the whole story....but I am happy to see you made these other points. Thanks for backing me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Action Avenue View Post
    We can agree to disagree.
    Agreed!

I think...

Yeah, forgot to mention the hideous ending to the book. So, I stand by my original claim that the film is better.

And on frickin Blu Ray, don't cha know?

Solaar
    you can really see the wires

Apollano
    Although most people have seen the Disney movie Bambi, just out of curiosity I went back to read the original Bambi by Felix Salten, it's author. The book is very good, but to my surprise it has a lot of death in the book (of the animals) for a children's book. The ending has a very strong twist though, which is actually represented by the fire in the Disney film, and it actually works quite well. Both the book and the film are very well done.

The screenplay for the book the Last Unicorn is also excellent and that's because the author who wrote the screenplay for the animated film also wrote the book: Peter Benchley.

I read Ian Fleming's James Bond novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service after I saw the movie. I liked both book and the movie and both are very much almost the same. It is an excellent adaption by director Peter Hunt, and the movie goes into my top 5 list of James Bond movies.

Looking at the graphic Novel: I thought Zack Snyder's adaption of the Watchmen was very intriguing for me. There were times that I wasn't sure about the film in its showy beginnings, but halfway through the movie I really became hooked on it. In the end I thought it was a really good adaption, and thought that it's angry author, Alan Moore, probably should've checked it out anyway.
    Last edited by WinstonL; April 19th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonL View Post
    The screenplay for the book the Last Unicorn is also excellent and that's because the author who wrote the screenplay for the animated film also wrote the book: Peter Benchley.
    Do you not mean Peter S. Beagle?

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonL View Post
    Looking at the graphic Novel: I thought Zack Snyder's adaption of the Watchmen was very intriguing for me. There were times that I wasn't sure about the film in its showy beginnings, but halfway through the movie I really became hooked on it. In the end I thought it was a really good adaption, and thought that it's angry author, Alan Moore, probably should've checked it out anyway.
    Gods no, Alan Moore should not have watched Watchmen. It was a fairly good adaptation but it did change a few things and there were a few scenes that weren't necessary (Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II having a bit of fun, as an example). But when you look into the situation of who owns the rights, you can understand (to some degree) why Moore is so against watching Watchmen and other adaptations. That and he is a bit of an arse, IMHO.

Apollano
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Do you not mean Peter S. Beagle?

Gods no, Alan Moore should not have watched Watchmen. It was a fairly good adaptation but it did change a few things and there were a few scenes that weren't necessary (Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II having a bit of fun, as an example). But when you look into the situation of who owns the rights, you can understand (to some degree) why Moore is so against watching Watchmen and other adaptations. That and he is a bit of an arse, IMHO.
    And I feel like a bit of an ass for the mix up with Peter S. Beagle's name (the Last Unicorn) with Peter Benchley (Jaws). I've long known both of their works separately for a long time (obviously not for long in the aging synapses of this brain) .

So I guess I'm the village idiot for saying what should go without saying : 2001 a space odissey.

Also Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky) is one of the best movie of all time, so altough I haven't read the book I guess I'm not taking a huge risk by putting it there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    BLASPHEMY! Ah, ok, the Jaws book was very, very good, but the film itself is in my top three of all time, so it edges it. But only just. The book itself had that great little side-story including 'the affair', and definitely had a lot more life and edge to it. But the film... the film... genius.

Loerwyn - agreed. When I knew the True Grit film was being remade I downloaded the book to my phone... and wasn't overly impressed.

Solaar
    and Bruce
    I made the mistake of watching Jaws with a couple of friends who did a lot of ocean diving and have seen sharks close up. They both laughed hysterically all through the movie constantly shreiking "Sharks don't do that!!" Ruined the whole experience for me. The next day we went to the beach and were the only ones in the water!

I would really like to try out the old version of Solaris..

I loved the book Fight Club, but I personally felt that the movie was better.. and I believe so did Chuck Palahniuk the author. And none of his other books have ever done as well as Fight Club, as a book, OR as a movie.. so I think that's a great example of better movie than book...

Personally, I feel it is because of A) the personality that the actors injected into the characters, and B) the rewriting of certain key pieces of dialogue and their redistribution to different characters... that became some of the best moments in the movie.

Another good example is The Mist by Stephen King. Originally a Novella, I LOVE the movie by Frank Darabont. The two versions are very similar except for a DRASTIC difference in the ending... I read that Stephen King actually went on record to say he liked the movie ending better and had wished he had thought of it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I loved the book Fight Club, but I personally felt that the movie was better..
    Same here. American Psycho also benefited from cutting out six hundred pages or so for the movie.

Another good example is The Mist by Stephen King. Originally a Novella, I LOVE the movie by Frank Darabont. The two versions are very similar except for a DRASTIC difference in the ending...
    Which completely trashes the movie. It's a great movie up to the ending, which is absurd and contrary to what we know of the characters up to that point. King didn't really have an ending, and that worked much better.

I suspect it's also why the movie was a box office flop, when it could have been a money-maker if they'd cut the last two minutes. I loved it up to that point, but can't recommend it to anyone purely because of the ending.

I read that Stephen King actually went on record to say he liked the movie ending better and had wished he had thought of it first.
    He was hardly going to say 'this movie sucks, don't watch it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
    He was hardly going to say 'this movie sucks, don't watch it'.

You think so? I'm not sure on his feelings of his movies that weren't done by Darabont so I can't be sure if he just always supports his book-to-film translations.... But I do see what you're saying... and more people hate that movie than like it so you're not in the minority..

well.. agree to disagree hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    You think so? I'm not sure on his feelings of his movies that weren't done by Darabont so I can't be sure if he just always supports his book-to-film translations.
    How often have you seen any 'name' involved in a movie say 'this sucks, don't watch it', even when it clearly does? No-one would want to work with them again if they did.

The worst that usually happens is they ask to have their name removed from the credits, and you can't really do that with a Stephen King movie, since everyone knows it's a Stephen King story.

Years later, when the movie has been out, made its money and been demolished by critics, sure, but not when it's first released.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
    How often have you seen any 'name' involved in a movie say 'this sucks, don't watch it', even when it clearly does? No-one would want to work with them again if they did.

The worst that usually happens is they ask to have their name removed from the credits, and you can't really do that with a Stephen King movie, since everyone knows it's a Stephen King story.

Years later, when the movie has been out, made its money and been demolished by critics, sure, but not when it's first released.
    I see your point for sure!!!!

I'm excited for Ender's Game but not expecting much. I haven't seen the trailer, but I'm really hoping it delivers something beyond just "entertaining"... obviously it would be awesome if it was moving, and thought provoking and impressive just like the book!