Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Need Some Help on a Title and Author

    I'm having a problem remembering a novel I read in the 70s, when I was much younger. I've since forgotten the title and who wrote it, and somehow would like to go over it again.

    Its about a Survey Corps ship that is forced to make an emergency landing on a inhabitable planet, right in the middle of a tribal war between two factions of the alien species of that planet. And the novel also includes one of the alien's point of reference, as well as the crew members.

    The cover of the book shows two groups of natives fighting each other with spears, when they are forced to look up at the survey ship making its emergency landing. And the story deals with the Survey crewmen's interaction with one of the native groups.

    I've always had this novel in the back of my mind, but never have come across it. Could someone help me with this?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    So, no one either knows, nor cares? Is that correct?

    I would have thought there was someone here with the knowledge and background, who could help me. But I guess I was wrong. Sigh.............

  3. #3
    Registered User JimF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by John L View Post
    So, no one either knows, nor cares? Is that correct?

    I would have thought there was someone here with the knowledge and background, who could help me. But I guess I was wrong. Sigh.............
    I would think that is more like people don't know, not that they don't care. I read your OP and I did not know so I did not comment. The people on this board are usually pretty good at getting titles, but sometimes it takes a while.

    Jim

  4. #4
    If you have a good memory of the cover, some posters have had luck combing through the cover art over at isfdb.org and identifying it that way. The story description doesn't ring any bells with me.

  5. #5
    Thanks guys. I'll give that site a going through. Perhaps I will find what has me so frustrated over a good while.

  6. #6
    Incidentally, I located no collection of cover art at the isfdb.org site where I could go through the considerable list. If there really is a collection there, perhaps someone could be kind enough to show me?

  7. #7
    It's not obvious how to access it; you have to use the Advanced Search feature and choose a title type of "COVERART".

    It will probably take a while to find if you can't narrow the search a bit, but in the worst case scenario you could just do it by year.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by otistdog View Post
    It's not obvious how to access it; you have to use the Advanced Search feature and choose a title type of "COVERART".

    It will probably take a while to find if you can't narrow the search a bit, but in the worst case scenario you could just do it by year.
    Actually I used that exact word and it led nowhere. Sigh,......I have found far more by going a google search entitled "Science Fiction CoverArt Image", but still no success.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    101
    On the advanced search form you need to use the first form "ISFDB Title Search Form". Enter "COVERART" in the Term 1 box and change the dropdown item from "Title" to "Title Type". Then in Term 2 you might enter "1970" and change that dropdown from "Title" to "Year", and then submit query. On the following screen you can click an item, say "Cover: A Gift From Earth", then on the following page click the title proper, which will get you to here http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?641, for example. Redo with "1971" in Term 2 when you've exhausted "1970". And so on.

    It is time consuming, but thorough.

  10. #10
    Registered User ian_sales's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    321
    Could it be one of Brian Stableford's Daedalus Mission novels? See http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?3738

    There's also Stableford's Hooded Swan series, which is another possibility: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?3747
    Last edited by ian_sales; August 8th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

  11. #11
    Registered User mylinar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by rainswept View Post
    On the advanced search form you need to use the first form "ISFDB Title Search Form". Enter "COVERART" in the Term 1 box and change the dropdown item from "Title" to "Title Type". Then in Term 2 you might enter "1970" and change that dropdown from "Title" to "Year", and then submit query. On the following screen you can click an item, say "Cover: A Gift From Earth", then on the following page click the title proper, which will get you to here http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?641, for example. Redo with "1971" in Term 2 when you've exhausted "1970". And so on.

    It is time consuming, but thorough.
    I am not looking for anything in particular, but I am going to remember your directions and give this a try. Just to see what old covers I might remember from ages past for the enjoyment of it. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by rainswept View Post
    On the advanced search form you need to use the first form "ISFDB Title Search Form". Enter "COVERART" in the Term 1 box and change the dropdown item from "Title" to "Title Type". Then in Term 2 you might enter "1970" and change that dropdown from "Title" to "Year", and then submit query. On the following screen you can click an item, say "Cover: A Gift From Earth", then on the following page click the title proper, which will get you to here http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?641, for example. Redo with "1971" in Term 2 when you've exhausted "1970". And so on.

    It is time consuming, but thorough.
    I got you; makes sense. But this is going to take a good deal of time, so I'll have to go forward two pages, and then back up two spaces, and do it again,.....................over and over.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_sales View Post
    Could it be one of Brian Stableford's Daedalus Mission novels? See http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?3738

    There's also Stableford's Hooded Swan series, which is another possibility: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?3747
    It isn't. However, the series sounds very interesting. I'll try reading a few just to see what they are like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •