Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terry Goodkind's AMA

I've not read it all - but it should be interesting. The link is here.

I'm most interested in the self-publishing aspects:

THE FIRST CONFESSOR: The Legend of Magda Searus is now available in exclusive ebook format. It's a self-published full-length novel and we've stirred big waves with its release. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys may have, particularly related to the triumphs and controversies of self-publishing, including our interactions with book piracy, publishers, fans, expectations, industry conflicts, marketing, and the rest of it.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Well, nuts (or bags as Goodkind would say), but all I read was some fans banging on about how awful Legend of the Seeker was.

Whoa. He praised the Game of Thrones HBO series.

Any mention of the "jackals" who "shackle" our ... umm... intelligence community? Damn jackals.

What everyone really wants is a full length novel about the Evil Chicken!

"What inspired you to talk sh!t about a fellow author who happened to be DYING OF CANCER at the time?"

Nobody's asking the questions I want answered lol.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    "What inspired you to talk sh!t about a fellow author who happened to be DYING OF CANCER at the time?"

Nobody's asking the questions I want answered lol.
    That's an outrageous and libellous question!

He was dying of an inordinately rare blood disease at the time

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    That's an outrageous and libellous question!

He was dying of an inordinately rare blood disease at the time
    Whoa! So I'm obviously not "in the know at all." My guess this is something that happened many moons ago?

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Whoa! So I'm obviously not "in the know at all." My guess this is something that happened many moons ago?
    When Robert Jordan was dying of his blood condition, Terry Goodkind made a rather bizarre point of mentioning in an interview that he'd just had a medical checkout and that his doctor had 'held his heart in his hands' and marvelled at how healthy it was (note: doctors won't touch your heart, which requires extensive surgery, unless they absolutely need to).

Robert Jordan, in what turned out to be his last-ever blog entry before his passing, was not amused.

I recalled that story when I browsed the AMA the day after it completed and somebody did bring up the connections between SOT and WOT. Goodkind made an attempt to clear up the issue went so far as to offer an apology of sorts about the perception his comments could have made regarding Jordan.

I tried finding that back-and-forth again and either it is hidden or deleted.

Odd, because I remember specifically trying to find any comments people made about SOT copying WOT, and the like and was glad somebody did.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Doctors won't touch your heart, which requires extensive surgery, unless they absolutely need to).
    Unless your doctor's name is Mola Ram (and your name is Indiana Jones )

Yeah I fudged that up a bit, it wasn't cancer, sorry.

It read a bit of this AMA the other morning and Goodkind sounds surprisingly reasonable and even-keeled. Like he's gotten some good PR coaching or just grown and wisened up a little. In all fairness he certainly wasn't the obnoxious windbag I'm used to seeing. I didn't read the whole thing and I totally won't but that's the impression I got.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Well I am one of those weirdos that actually liked about half of the SOT series. It could have been cut in about half and told the whole story in my opinion. So when I saw that he had put this one out I just had to buy it. I have read maybe half and it isn't too bad. I think it is going to be the case that he could have cut this in half and been an even better story, but so far it isn't too preachy. It is sort of a prequel to the SOT series and doesn't have any of the same characters in it. It is about exactly what the title says, how they made the first confessor. At least he isn't saying he isn't writing fantasy this time, and that the book isn't part of the SOT world.