Hybrid View

Doctor Who Series 7 (Spoilers when broadcasting)

So, with Series 7 supposedly about three weeks away (supposedly!), I thought it best to start the discussion topic.

And, to start discussion, here's a one-and-a-half minute trailer.

I'm quite excited about it, but at the same time I'm a little concerned. The last series or so hasn't been particularly great for the most part and whilst we've had some really good episodes, it seems like the characters of Amy and Rory are causing a lot of issues. That's not to say they're bad, of course, simply that they're not being used in the best possible way.

This series is, I think, the end for Amy & Rory, we'll have more River Song, um... and I'm not sure what else.

I liked the last season overall, though I'd agree it's a tad uneven. The whole River Song arc is interesting, but it needs more meat, if you ask me. As for Amy and Rory: they are exiting stage left mid-season, so we'll be getting a new companion as of the Christmas Special.

I just hope that the American release schedule is sane. I usually buy a season pass on iTunes, and I hope they don't go for a darned weekly schedule halfway through the season. I need my Who fix!

Registered as What?

Agree with the above statements....

Thiugh there were some episodes that I thought were a bit dodgy, the finding the way out of the Doctor's future death was fairly neat. I did think that it was going to be the flesh stuff, instead of what was done. Still, I'm incredibly excited about the coming season.

Apparently the new series starts on the BBC on September 1st, not August 25th as I originally believed.

Reader-Writer-Podcaster
    I'm a member of a podcast that provides weekly commentaries for the new episodes as they go out, so I'm keeping a fairly close eye on this one!

I felt the last series was strangely less than the sum of its parts - some brilliant individual episodes, but the overall story arc just didn't make a huge amount of sense. It sounds as though they're going for a more traditional run of standalone stories this year though, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

I'm very excited to see the return of the Daleks as a credible force after so long in the wilderness. Especially as this series sees the return of the Special Weapons Dalek from the Classic Series (not seen since 1988)!

Is anyone else worried that Chris Chibnall is writing so many episodes this year, though? His previous output hasn't been the best.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Sink plunger (love the name!). Best of luck with the podcasts: we'll be interested to hear what you think.

On my part, you're talking to some who, after watching the series for most of his life (over 40 years worth!), is at a point where after he struggled through the last series, and is really not sure whether he will continue with this. I'm willing to give it a try but the Christmas special was just dreadful and I'm not sure the new episodes will be any better. Love to be proved wrong, but Matt Smith's not for me.

The Daleks were always my favourites but already I'm uneasy: Daleks asking for the Doctors help? Wouldn't happen.... and so we're potentially on a wrong foot for starters. Some of the plot holes you could drive a bus through last year, to be told 'it's just a show, don't take it too seriously....'

All sounds negative: but I do feel that the series isn't for me any more. I am greatly disillusioned but willing to be persuaded differently!

Hope others feel differently...

Mark
    Mark