Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Way Too Human
    I actually enjoyed both episodes, however it seems to me the "atmosphere" of the show has changed.

The Dr. is acting even more looney than usual with spurts of random genious every now and then. It also seems as if we're being primed for Amy's departure. And the dialogue is extremely fast, too fast for me sometimes.

And yes, Amy is definately a serious crumpet. For me, the thing about Karen (as Amy) is that she's not glamorous or extremely beautiful, but that she's so damn cute. I watch the show for the Dr. and the story, but Amy/Karen is a nice treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
    And yes, Amy is definately a serious crumpet.
    One of my possible claims to fame is that I may well have acted in front of Ms Gillan. I was certainly doing Theatre in Education work when she was at school and one of the schools on our regular tour was hers...

Reader-Writer-Podcaster
    I bumped into her in Cardiff a few years ago, when she was filming Doctor Who on the university campus. Not as Amy Pond though - she was one of the handmaidens in "The Fires of Pompeii". She was outside the Temple of Peace, smoking like a chimney. Even under all that makeup, she looked stunning.

A quick word on ‘Dinosaurs on a Spaceship’ – it’s hardly the show’s best episode, but it was surprisingly good for a Chibnall script. Despite the wafer thin characters and the miscast voice talents (in the form of Mitchell and Webb), it had a scope and energy that I enjoyed. And it made narrative sense, which is more than can be said for ‘Asylum of the Daleks’! But…

…was the script editor asleep at the wheel this week? The golf ball joke was cheap and crass, but that line about ‘breaking in’ Nefertitti should never have made it to the screen. Very jarring indeed, and hardly suitable for a primetime family audience. (Especially one skewed at kids, as this presumably was).

This also seems to have stirred up the hot topic of gender politics throughout the episode as a whole (specifically the treatment of Riddell, the great white hunter, and his treatment of the show's female characters). I can’t say I was overly troubled by this. Riddell is drawn in extremely broad strokes and is clearly just there to shoot at dinosaurs. In fact, I was just left with the impression that Chibnall forgot about him, until the Raptor attack at the end. Ho hum.

For those of you who might be interested, there's a cracking review of the episode here.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can’t say I was overly troubled by this. Riddell is drawn in extremely broad strokes and is clearly just there to shoot at dinosaurs. In fact, I was just left with the impression that Chibnall forgot about him, until the Raptor attack at the end. Ho hum.
    He's also meant to be a (cliched) big game hunter from the 1920's, with the social and cultural values to match. As you say, SP, broad stereotypes all around.

Mark
    Mark

But that doesn't excuse some of the lines used in the show, nor his behaviour.

As I pointed out, he moaned about Nefertiti taking the lead but hardly looked like he was trying to replace her. His behaviour and his attitude did not match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I agree with you, Loer. It's not that I'm against cheap innuendo. I'm all for cheap innuendo but was pretty rubbish innuendo. I wouldn't have even attempted to get lines like that into the village panto.

I bumped into her in Cardiff a few years ago, when she was filming Doctor Who on the university campus. Not as Amy Pond though - she was one of the handmaidens in "The Fires of Pompeii". She was outside the Temple of Peace, smoking like a chimney. Even under all that makeup, she looked stunning.
    Wait a minute! She smokes? I've just gone off her.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; September 11th, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Way Too Human

As I pointed out, he moaned about Nefertiti taking the lead but hardly looked like he was trying to replace her. His behaviour and his attitude did not match up.
    Actually, as Amy implied, they were flirting. That's what I was thinking before Amy told them to stop. They both reminded me of two schoolyard kids teasing each other because they have a crush on each other.

Although, I won't say it was done well.

I will also add that there were some things said in this episode that surprised me. I just didn't expect them in a Dr. Who episode.
    Last edited by Lazerus; September 11th, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add more thoughts

I don't watch this series now. I had watched series 6,which I don't felt interested to watch thats why I don't watch it. But I love the way Doctor perform.

Like me on Facebook @ TvShowServers

Reader-Writer-Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    Wait a minute! She smokes? I've just gone off her.
    I'm afraid so, JunkMonkey. It's hard to maintain a figure like that without a little help.

Actually, I think Arthur Darvill smokes as well. Not sure about Matt Smith though.

Quote Originally Posted by sink_plunger View Post

Actually, I think Arthur Darvill smokes as well. Not sure about Matt Smith though.
    Don't care. I don't fancy them.

Can't believe this first part is almost over already... At least tonight's episode might be good? Maybe?

Reader-Writer-Podcaster
    Can't believe this first part is almost over already... At least tonight's episode might be good? Maybe?
    Advance reviews of tonight's episode seem to be universally positive for a change - it's supposed to have some real depth and weight to it. Plus, Ben Browder of 'Farscape' and 'Stargate SG1' fame is the guest star, so that's a plus!

Are you also a little confused by the decision to chop this series up into three separate chunks? It seems like a very odd choice, although I'm sure there must be a reason for it. A five week run hardly seems worth the time though!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are you also a little confused by the decision to chop this series up into three separate chunks? It seems like a very odd choice, although I'm sure there must be a reason for it. A five week run hardly seems worth the time though!
    Not really. First 5 deal with
    Spoiler:
    the death of Amy Pond
    , the second with the aftermath and
    Spoiler:
    the new companion
    , the third block is the
    Spoiler:
    run up to the 50th anniversary?

Sort've makes sense.. to me, if no one else!

For practical reasons it also means that you're not tying up the main actors for the year, so they can do other things, and so they don't leave to pursue other interests... with a couple of exceptions! Transmission wise it means you're not having to break up the run for Bank holidays, Easter, Christmas etc.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; September 15th, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
    Mark

Well that one was slightly better but I thought the blurring out of the tyre tracks in post as the doctor was riding the horse was a bit clumsy.

Doctor Who by the_junk_monkey, on Flickr ---------- More Gaussian Blur!

Thoughts:

Pretty good episode, actually. It was a mix between True Grit, No Country for Old Men and... uh... Doctor Who. It dispensed with a lot of the stupid OH MAH GAWD GOTTAH SAVE TEH RAEC stuff, and became a very small story set in a small place. I think Rory & Amy being pushed to the side for the most part helped it stay focused, too.

I think I missed a few minutes (just before The Gunslinger shot at The Doctor), and after that point it risked getting a bit bad, but it pretty much redeemeed itself. Was surprised to find out that the guy from Farscape was in it, and he was actually really good.

One of the better episodes of the last few series, I think. Yeah, it was.