Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I would think The 'Obbit has been a bit busy to watch it, or might be formulating his thoughts. Doubt it's just us watching it though, JM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL. Both. Youngest Hobbit not able to see it until today, and I said I'd watch it with him.

Can't say I disagree much with what's been said already. Agree about the misplaced 'hilarity' - doesn't work. Youngest Hob liked the cameos. The 45 minute plot doesn't help the development - everything conveniently resolved in 45 minutes means that the bad guy seems pretty rubbish.

All the moaning about Chris Chibnall seems to be misplaced, IMO: it's not perfect, but it is better than a lot of what has gone before. Mind you even the Toby What's-is-face episode last week was better than what I've seen of him before, both in DW and Being Human.

I like Rory's Dad, but keep expecting him to throw out lines from The Fast Show. (again, shows age, JM!)

The Weeping Angels are the latest DW equivalent of Star Trek's Borg: nice idea at first, but vastly overused. Doesn't bode well for next week. Presumably that means a Moffatt episode. Can't believe I said when he started that he 'was worth trusting'. Generally has been a major disappointment, which I think is as a consequence of juggling too many plates at once - including Sherlock, of course.

So far this season's been OK (all four episodes of it!), but a long way off outstanding. Mind you, as I said before, I'm having to re-evaluate my view to fit with what seems to be expected in TV generally. Might even try Merlin again, which i gave up on two series ago....

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I like Rory's Dad, but keep expecting him to throw out lines from The Fast Show. (again, shows age, JM!)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I totally didn't realise it was him even though I've seen some sketches from The Fast Show.

Erm... if River Song had sent the book to Amy to get it published (and write the afterword) then she already knew what was going to happen....

Also slightly disconcerted by the fact that the entrance to the Weeping Angel building was filmed here: a building that I could see from my bedroom window as a kid

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=the+p...05.29,,1,-4.61

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    I quite enjoyed that episode. I may be in the minority but I like the Angels too. The tension of keeping your eyes on them to 'collapse the probabilities', or whatever, reminds me of the feeling of suspense I got when I was young and watching the original series. Unfortunately they don't always remember and conveniently the Angels still don't move.

Overall, much better than the 'boxes' episode with it's crappy anticlimactic ending.

Twelve or so hours later the penny drops. River Song meant she would write the book and send it to 1930s (post weeping angeled) Amy to write the afterword.

I think if I had been the writer/script editor I would have made plain the book was first published in 1938 not just set in 1938.

And I agree with chuff. Better than the boxes. I had a wee frisson or two. My ten year old is deliciously frightened by the Angels and kept up a running 'don't blink', 'look behind you', and when Rory was in the cellar, 'Set fire to something, you idiot!' commentary whenever they were on screen.

The Statue of Liberty bit was just rubbish though.

Like JM, I think the Statue of Liberty bit (at the start, anyway) was a bit naff.

But I really think Chuff got it on the money, so many scenes had people looking away from the angels that the whole "Don't Blink" aspect just kinda sucks.

The falling scene was rubbish. It ruined the moment completely, and that whole River-is-Amy's-Mum storyline just still takes away from... things. And I think Smith's gurning and flailing kinda sucked at the end.

Note: Wow, Mike McShane has lost a LOT of weight.

Also, noticed Alex Kingston was... uh... showing her statues a lot. Her cleavage out-acted Matt Smith at times.

Overall? Eh. Gets a single sad sniff from me, but Moffat's love of the Angels and a kinda-thin story took away from it for me.

Will it be the end of Amy & Rory, and maybe even River? Doubt it, and there's always the novels/audiobooks that the Beeb are putting out. Maybe if Big Finish get the rights one day, we'll see more.

Will it be the end of Amy & Rory, and maybe even River? Doubt it,
    Well, since the Torchwood institute has been around since Victorian times it must have been going great guns in the 30s. I can just see Amy and Rory battling Nazis harnessing alien tech in their attempts to blah blah blah. And the thought of Ms Gillan in those tight 40s pencil skirts and hunking great shoulder pads does have a certain appeal...
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; September 30th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Uh oh, JM's off in his own world again.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Uh oh, JM's off in his own world again.
    I am. And it gets lonely in here...

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    I am. And it gets lonely in here...
    Oi, eyes off.

Quote Originally Posted by loerwyn View Post
    oi, eyes off.
    ? ? ? ? ----------

Oh, nothing. I think.

New to the forums, so I thought it seemed right to post in the Doctor Who thread first cuz I love it so much. Absolutely awesome finale. Always love the Weeping Angels. This episode was worlds better than the boxes episode, ugh. Though I did a super cringe with the Statue of Liberty (yes, we know it's America...don't need to rub it in our faces).

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Like JM, I think the Statue of Liberty bit (at the start, anyway) was a bit naff.
    Just a though - I really must spend more time thinking about grown up stuff - but what is with the doing the same gag twice routine that's crept into this series? First there was the double helping of the 'eggs' joke in the Daleky one and now The Statue of Liberty as a Weeping Angel X 2. The thing may have worked, ominous footsteps and all, if we didn't already know what it was. They showed us 'the monster' in the opening minutes already!

Welcome aboard, MagicBaconBitz.