Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I don't think it had much to do with anything. It's only been, what, a year or so since it released?

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I don't think it had much to do with anything. It's only been, what, a year or so since it released?
    I think it's been almost 2 years, my girls were in 7th grade and now they are starting 9th. Since then she has been in Thor, Your Highness (really strange) and No Strings Attached.

Your probably right though and her career will bounce back.

Your Highness was absolute *censored*. But no, it's been a year and a bit since it came out (here, anyway). I was in a job I had last year when it came out.

I think she does a lot of voice acting too, and judging by her Wikipedia page (Ugh, I feel like some gossip-craving wastrel) she had a child in the middle of last year so it's only natural for her to perhaps step back a little.

Your Highness was absolute *censored*. But no, it's been a year and a bit since it came out (here, anyway). I was in a job I had last year when it came out.

I think she does a lot of voice acting too, and judging by her Wikipedia page (Ugh, I feel like some gossip-craving wastrel) she had a child in the middle of last year so it's only natural for her to perhaps step back a little.
    Your Highness was "censored"?
    What do you mean?
    Did they cut it to shreds on the editing floor?

That would bite.
    I saw part of it on TV, but it was just kinda bizarre so I changed channels.

No. When I wrote *censored*, I meant I censored my post because the barrage of expletives I would have used to describe that utter waste of time would have got me banned.

When I think of the madness and decline that has gone on under the guise of cleaning up amurica after the ruination caused by Janet Jackson I am dumbstruck. I have a hard enough time believing anyone cared that it happened, or who did it, or that it happened at all. The fact that it caused the hurricane of silliness that it did astounds me.

KSH, your point about Natalie Portman is about as pointy as a teabag in the garbage. She did those movies, and then she got married and had kids. At some point she's going to come back with critical and commercial success powering her career like rocket fuel. Anyways, I'm disappointed to come back to the internet and read the inane prattle out of you two.

People always talk about the good old days before all this wanton sex and violence. I've seen those movies and while they wouldn't necessarily be improved by naked women they wouldn't be harmed by it either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    When I think of the madness and decline that has gone on under the guise of cleaning up amurica after the ruination caused by Janet Jackson I am dumbstruck. I have a hard enough time believing anyone cared that it happened, or who did it, or that it happened at all. The fact that it caused the hurricane of silliness that it did astounds me.

KSH, your point about Natalie Portman is about as pointy as a teabag in the garbage. She did those movies, and then she got married and had kids. At some point she's going to come back with critical and commercial success powering her career like rocket fuel. Anyways, I'm disappointed to come back to the internet and read the inane prattle out of you two.

People always talk about the good old days before all this wanton sex and violence. I've seen those movies and while they wouldn't necessarily be improved by naked women they wouldn't be harmed by it either.
    What Janet Jackson did was a rude, blatant intrusion into the sanctity of millions of homes where parents are desperately trying to raise young boys to see women as something more than sex objects. Then, to add insult to injury, Jackson lied about it over and over again.
    It often seems to be the case that actresses will do a graphic sex scene in a movie, then announce they are taking off for a while to be a mom. Could it be, that, having had the uncomfortable experience of being displayed naked like a zoo animal, and desire to teach their daughters how to avoid the same temptation? And their young boys how to avoid becoming consumers of media exploiting females who are willing to be exploited?
    I saw, "Your Highness". After, "Black Swan" (which I watched only because Portman and Kunis were in it), I should have first realized how low her self-esteem had sunk.
    Last edited by sifutofu; August 27th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifutofu View Post
    What Janet Jackson did was a rude, blatant intrusion into the sanctity of millions of homes where parents are desperately trying to raise young boys to see women as something more than sex objects. Then, to add insult to injury, Jackson lied about it over and over again.
    Or maybe she did it as a protest against the idea of having to cover up.

Banned

So J. Jackson bared "it"...

Or maybe she did it as a protest against the idea of having to cover up.
    ...in protest against the idea of having to cover "it" up? Then there are many 3rd world countries whose women go flopping about on a daily basis. J. Jackson can go flaunting her wares over there. Of course, there isn't anywhere near the ad revenue in those countries as there is here, right, Janet? If you're gonna use cheap shock value to sell your product, services, or yourself, be prepared as it may just backfire on you. This reminds me of the women in recent news who are walking around bare-chested to assert their right to do so. Disruptive demonstrations have been planned by such women. I say throw all these women in a jail cell along with that protest group of pudgy, 70+ year old men, asserting their right to wear speedos in public.
    In California (surprised?), people asserting their right to appear nude in public had to be told to sit on a towel while dining in restaurants. This reveals the cleanliness and character of such people. Hey, if that nude dude can let it all hang out in the restaurant in which I'm eating, then why can't I bring my Saint Bernard in as my dining companion?
    Let's just face it, folks...the human body, with all it's gristle, dimples, moles, etc., was meant to be covered in public. Just take a look at those celebrity beach-bod issues at your local grocery checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post

I'm sorry you feel that way.

As far as Ms. Portman goes I'm sure she doesn't really care about my assessment of her career one way or the other. My main point was about how hollywood chews up and spits out child stars. I mentioned Portman because she seems to have lost some of her glamour the last couple years but as you pointed out perhaps thats merely due to her domestic schedule.

As for sex, wanton or not, I'm pretty sure its always been here.
    I think the issue is more the marketing of sex as entertainment for mass comsumption.
    Last edited by kshRox; August 27th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifutofu View Post
    Then there are many 3rd world countries whose women go flopping about on a daily basis.
    Um, other countries don't have Western attitudes. Due to our history of being beaten-over-the-head with Abrahamic religions (same goes for the Middle-East and other Islamic countries here), we as a society believe in misogyny, fear-of-the-different and male superiority.

What you saw was "filth", what women may have seen is a protest against the Western 'need' to cover up the female form.

Um, other countries don't have Western attitudes. Due to our history of being beaten-over-the-head with Abrahamic religions (same goes for the Middle-East and other Islamic countries here), we as a society believe in misogyny, fear-of-the-different and male superiority.

What you saw was "filth", what women may have seen is a protest against the Western 'need' to cover up the female form.
    I'm always a little mystified when women in this country start talking about paternalism and oppression. Perhaps 100 years ago, or even 50, but since the 60's?

I'm a single father and find the number of programs, support groups and even businesses that cater to single mothers is interesting compared to how little support there is for single fathers. I also think it is interesting how aggressively our society follows an "end justifies the means" philosophy regarding mens rights justified by the idea of "protecting women and children".

I'm all for protecting women and children, I have teenage daughters. But there is a knee-jerk activist mentality here that is out of proportion and imho does more harm than good removing children from the influence and protection of their natural fathers.

Do you realize based upon nothing more than an accusation a man can be put in jail, removed from his house, have his income and property confiscated and be denied access to his children? Again, this is in American and based upon nothing more than an unsubstantiated accusation.

Family courts are the only courts that have the authority to bypass due process and it happens routinely.

There are a few groups out there like Fathers 4 Justice who take on these types of issues pertaining to mens rights.
    Last edited by kshRox; August 29th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kshRox View Post
    I'm a single father
    Ergo a man, therefore you are kind of automatically privileged in many ways in society.

I'm not of the belief that men have it worse than women in most cases, as they don't. I do, however, fully agree that there are cases and situations - particularly involving children - where men do get the short end of the stick. But those situations? They're not as prolific or embedded into society as a lot of the ways women are oppressed.

Put it this way. Women are told day-in and day-out that they have to look a certain way, dress a certain way, behave a certain way. If they're raped and/or abused they're often not taken seriously (this is also one of the few times men have it even worse than women, sadly). Women often find it harder to progress though companies due to a very male-oriented culture, and in some jobs they're not taken seriously.

I don't think we're at the level it was in the past, but to suggest we have an equal society or one that's becoming unfair in the other direction is kinda, um... missing a lot of what's going on.

Banned

The USA has laws...

The USA has laws against creating public distractions, such as billboards which sport some eye-catching moving parts, such as an actual wagging tail on a dog which advertises dogfood. Flashing lights, and, until recently, vehicles adorned with stickers which adhere so well as to appear as paint, etc., are all forbidden, because this advertising is in full view of people operating heavy machinery such as cars, earth-moving equipment, public surveillance equipment, etc. , and can be distracting. So now we're supposed to allow people to let it all hang out, endangering the public at large, just so they can exercise their rights. Quite irresponsible, self-centered, and childish, not to mention downright nasty, as in the restaurant scenario. Some of the most horrific fist-fights, where a weapon or weapons may be incorporated endangering innocent bystanders, are between a jealous boyfriend or husband who has accused someone of looking at his woman. Were she nude, even just topless, you can see the calamity which might result, just so a woman may childishly and irresponsibly exercise her right to do so.
    I never used the word, "filth". But the human body does appear to be an ungainly thing when nude and in motion, such as a woman running in a bikini, or a nude guy playing volleyball (no pun intended) on the beach. With all that flopping around, he could sustain a serious injury. That's why we have jock-straps (Er, CLOTHES, in other words...) Animals, such as those of the canine family, are sleek and designed to be "nude". Their very symmetry allows them to dart through thick underbrush, without the worry of having any part of their body sustaining injury, etc. A dog running through the woods is like an envelope slipping through the slot of your mailbox. However, a HUMAN trying to slip through the woods is like a postPERSON trying to cram an envelope into a mailbox slot, held FLAT against it. It just wouldn't happen, now would it. BECAUSE IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO!