Hybrid View

Pulp Collections

Any of you know of other pulp collections besides these two:

- Astounding Stories: The 60th Anniversary Collection (Easton Press)
    - The Best from Startling Stories

There are hundreds of pulp-era SF anthologies out there. Before the 40's when the first SF novels were published the only kind of long-form SF available were the anthologies, and they put out a ton of them. Just enter something like "list of science fiction anthologies" in Google and you will be overwhelmed.

Of those I listed, the first is such a late arrival that you can be sure the stories have been selected with a ton of hindsight and ought to still be of interest to contemporary readers. The second is dated (IIRC) at the first year that particular pulp fizzed out, so I can't judge the "best" in that title.

What I'm seeking is specific titles people have read and know to be good.

So no one has ideas on such collections? I just bought The Best from Startling Stories, and I already owned the three-volumes Astounding Stories: The 60th Anniversary Collection.

Author-specific collections from the pulp and near-pulp era that I also own: Haffner Press' Detour to Otherness (a Kuttner Moore collection), Centipede Press' Two-Handed Engine: The Collected Stories of Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore, Haffner Press' ongoing multi-volume The Collected Edmond Hamilton, and Easton Press' six-volume Lensman Saga.

(The same question also garnered lukewarm results in '05, in a thread involving Neal Asher, of all people!)