Dystopian Novels?

So i'm really into dystopian imagery and novels but it seems all the dystopian novels i find are geared more toward a teenage audience. I'm looking for a dystopian novel thats more adult... little or no romance, alot of action.

Any recommendations?

Blog Entries
    I am legend?

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definetly check it out

You could always check out the books on this list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ian_literature

"The Orphan Master's Son" by Adam Johnson is worth checking out. Takes place in Korea.

Working on a new project that you might like. It's called HEROES OF DYSTOPIA. It will be a serialized saga and Book One will be HERCULES GONE MAD. You can check it out at http://heroesofdystopia.com or read an excerpt of book one at http://herculesgonemad.com

Let me know what you think. There's a comment section at the end of the excerpt.

Cheers & Arigato

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I recently read a more sci fi dystopian novel called Code Name: Atlas by Tony Evans. Strange lights appear in the sky and then everyone is told to head to the shelters and when they come out different factions fight over territory. The ending has quite a twist in it and the protagonist in the book "Atlas" has a interesting background. Looks to be a decent series although it could be read as a standalone.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. Well you can start with one of the classics 1984 by George Orwell. Another classic take is Brave New World by A. Huxley. You can also try This Perfect Day by Ira Levin. More recent attempts at this abound such as Stephen Donaldson's Gap series and John Birmingham's Wave series though I'm not sure if that's the style you are seeking.

I think that you really have to start with Alas, Babylon. This is a classic dystopian novel written during the Cold War. After that, I suggest One Second After. A reasonable scenario for a massive societal shift, no teenager protagonist.

Kunstler has a couple books, starts with World Made By Hand. Interesting read, although his premise for the cataclysm seems a bit weak to me. Entertaining if you can look past his premise. Outside of his novels, he does seem fairly certain that we will have a dramatic societal shift sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVENS View Post
    So i'm really into dystopian imagery and novels but it seems all the dystopian novels i find are geared more toward a teenage audience. I'm looking for a dystopian novel thats more adult... little or no romance, alot of action.

Any recommendations?
    Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon (followed by Broken Angels and Woken Furies) would certainly fit the bill: dystopian, cynical, little romance and a lot of action. On a very different track: Saga of the Exiles by Julian May could be interesting - a series in which 21st century characters end up in a Pliocene dystopia...

-----------
    Last edited by Sfinx; January 3rd, 2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Doublepost

I know we're not supposed to self promote, but The D Generation is definitely not a young adult book. There is a touch of romance (more of a frustrated attraction), but the story is highly active, and all reviews have been good. It's pretty hard core without being gratuitous. The editor of the local paper said he was haunted for days after reading the second one; I figure that's a good sign.

Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. IMHO this is as good as it gets as far as dystopia goes.

Now that youíve read The Hunger Games, itís time to read a little deeper into the dystopian genre. Here are ten greatest dystopian novels to get you started.