Back Cover Blurb

Does this ever happen to you guys? I was at Barnes & Noble today browsing for something new and came across a pretty intriguing series. I noticed that the second book was missing so I picked up the third book to see if the series was comprised of standalones, and then boom "The *main character from first book* is dead; yada yada yada." I know that it is mostly my fault for trying to read the back cover of a latter book, but I was still pretty disgusted by such a blatant spoiler. Now, I don't think I could ever get myself to read this series.

Lame!

I will admit that I try to stay away from any 'future' info about stuff I am or am thinking of getting in to, but that isn't your fault. They really shouldn't put such a major spoiler on the jacket. They could save that for a prologue or something.

I think I have more stringent standards about 'spoiler alerts' than most, since I often feel slighted in that matter.

I just hate a spoiler because it can destroy the tension or humor etc. of countless hours of reading/watching.

That said, The first book should be okay, since you probably wouldn't expect the main character of a series to die anyway. Now you just know for sure they don't die in that book.

The second book is a different story.

Something similar

Something similar happened to me once (I just remembered).

I love libraries, but my library screwed me over in a very subversive way. I was perusing e-books and so I read the little blurb things they have on their database. It is sometimes the same as a book blurb, but sometimes they make their own if they can't find the book's one.

Anyway. I read it and it included a fact that was a spoiler, but I didn't even realize it was a spoiler because they laid it out very straight-forward and it was the kind of thing that didn't have to be a tension builder. Anyway, I read the whole book knowing this piece of information and having a good time reading. Then, they do the 'reveal' and I don't get it. Then I realize what happened. My reveal is that I wasn't supposed to know that info the whole time and it COMPLETELY changed the tone of the book. It added so much mystery and tension to the book that I was robbed of. Anyway, now I worry about reading those as well.

The worst part is, like many spoilers, the info was completely unnecessary for the explanation of the book. It didn't help me make the purchase decision or add value in any way. It just robbed the tone of the book.