Dystopian series circa 1980s

I'm looking for this series for some time. I read it as a child in the early 90's I assume that it was written in the 1980s as the library took it off the shelves in the mid 90's.
    This series dealt with a world that I believe was recovering from a nuclear winter. It featured a group of five or six boys who had escaped from an internment/youth camp and fixed up some dirt bikes and lived in the desert/mountain foothills. They had various encounters and conflicts with other gangs in the area. They ran their bikes with "go-go juice" taken from a buried tanker truck. I don't remember any of the titles or author. I believe there were at least five books in the series. And my impression is that the author was male.

Thanks for your help

hi kernalll,

I loved these books when I was a kid! I think you're right, probably closer to early/mid-80s though as I was reading them in gradeschool if memory serves me right (that's not a guarantee though!). yes, there was a group of them, they syphoned their "go-juice" from the buried tanker, had a bit of a mad-max feel for the younger crowd. plenty of adventures. I cannot recall how many books total, but I'm almost positive that I had them all.

I'm on a mission to grab a bunch of things still at my mom's house. I went to college and never went back, so most just got gathered up, whether it was kid stuff or teenage stuff, and it should all still be there... along with my towns full of lego buildings, gi joe and star wars figures, slot car tracks, etc. if I find the series title first, I'll let you know asap. please do the same if you come across it as well.

good luck!

Hi dubbledown,

Thanks for the reply! I would be grateful if you could let me know if you find your books. I still haven't come across their titles.
    I will let you know if I do.

All the best!

found them!

hey kernall,

this post has links... but the name of the series was turbo cowboys and tony phillips wrote them. pub in or around 1989. I swear I was younger when I read them, but I supposed not. I'm still waiting on my mom to come across them in boxes somewhere in her basement (hopefully not moldy), but if not I'll buy them all on amazon if I cannot find them from regional libraries.

wanted to mention it while I thought of it, but had trouble finding this forum thread too in the process. if you hadn't found them yet, enjoy.

cheers.

Registered User ImaginaryEvents's Avatar

Special Award (Categories: internet good guy, informal)

Congratulations, dubbledown! I have unilaterally named you "Internet Citizen of the Month" for returning with the proper answer to OP's question after nineteen months. You are hereby authorized to proudly display this title for the next 30 days. Good job!