Back to the green-cover thing: All colors carry certain emotions, and we experience the emotions at a profound level. To me, at least, green has two meanings:

1) The color of healthy nature. The first of the covers that KatG posted, above, has a forest-cum-elf-huntress look to it, therefore the cover is quite fetching, at least to those who go in for that sort of fantasy. As I mentioned in my previous post, I find the cover compelling.

2) The pallor of illness, even death. Almost the polar opposite of #1, a greenish tinge to an otherwise-beautiful face might, at a subconscious level, dissuade us from wanting to move too close, just as we avoid the proximity of coughing and sneezing passengers on the train.

These are opinions of course, and I have no figures to back them up. I would, however, trust the figures that have been compiled by market researchers... then I would make up my own mind regarding when they apply and when they do not. When I was working on the cover of S.T., I tried again and again to give a greenish shade to the photo of the cover model. In every rendition (out of about a dozen), she looked sick, so I moved on.

(As a tangential thought, there is solid research to suggest that in the world of athletics, red-uniformed teams win more games than those wearing other colors. What is the psychology at work here? Does the blood color spur us to superior effort? Or is it simply that red is so easy to see that one is more aware of one's teammates?)

-- WB