Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
Well no, it actually has nothing to do with making up imaginary and arbitrary country psyches. (Remember, the U.S. is made up of 300 million people and most of them don't share a common background and a large percentage of them are immigrants who did not grow up in the U.S. The homogeneous depictions of the American mind tend to depend on a white, male mid-West profile that is mainly stereotypical and tends not to take the size of the country in account.)
Who said I was making up country psyches? While I do agree that marketing research has its gaps (primarily in the Oriental countries), I'm not just arbitrarily yapping here, I'm pulling from my advertising and marketing textbooks from college :P

I could not find the exact article regarding confusion in UK vs. America (it was an article on a UK commercial that featured a man suddenly appearing in the kitchen of an unknowing family, if anybody knows what this is from, drop me a line), Kleppner's Advertising Procedure (17th Edition) does list, as an example, that Americans like sarcasm and dark sardonic humor much more than the UK. The ethnic research in Kleppner's Advertising Procedure evidently comes from multiple agencies, though I am see Advertising Age providing the bulk of the research.

That being said, I do have in-depth considerations regarding American Non-White Hispanics, African-Americans, and other American ethnicity, should anybody want to know. The focus in these articles, however, is less on cultural tropes, however, and more on what forms of media reach these ethnic groups.