Hybrid View

Banned

What did you think about, "Total Recall" with Colin Ferrell and Kate Beckinsale?

I've seen Kate on enough talk shows for her to be firmly cast in my mind as a nice girl. It was difficult enjoying her in a bad girl role, at least at first. Then, she was so intent on killing Ferrell's character, I really started to hate her guts a bit.
    She would be a great drinking buddy in some dive somewhere, now, wouldn't she? I've come to dream about hanging out with celebrities just as a couple of boozers, just shootin' the sh**.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Strangely, the instant I saw this thread I also saw the first advert on tv for it.

Now, YOU might want to drink and talk the toot with Kate Beckinsale in a dive somewhere but I would rather be gazing at her longingly and sighing.

Banned

Dude (er, "Dudette"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    Strangely, the instant I saw this thread I also saw the first advert on tv for it.

Now, YOU might want to drink and talk the toot with Kate Beckinsale in a dive somewhere but I would rather be gazing at her longingly and sighing.
    No. No. No. You can't be lookin' at 'em all hungry and stuff. Especially if they make the needle on the babe-o-meter dig in on the far right side, and stick there. You have to ease up on 'em. Maybe you might pretend to be gay (this probably takes some guts), be their shopping buddy, etc. Then maybe , just maybe, you'll find yourself sitting with her on the edge of her bed, while she pours out her grief to you about how some guy did her wrong. The next thing you know, she'll be telling you how wonderful you are, and how she forgets sometimes that you're gay (which of course, you're not). Then, you gotta do some fancy talking, like, "Oh, Steph, sometimes you make me forget that I'm gay, too!" Or, better yet, get yourself some scrubs, a stethoscope, and a pager. Park yourself at a local bar, when you know the lovely ladies will be having a drink. Have your pager number on speed dial. When a woman you want to get to know sits within earshot of you, hit speed-dial to page yourself. Check your pager, maybe utter a curse word or two, then pretend to dial a number on your phone. Now, here you have to have your lines memorized: "Dammit, nurse, did you really put your heart into resuscitating her?" (Fake some tears here. Let your voice become all emotional). "I know! I know! Never allow yourself to become attached to them! Huh? I'm having a drink, or something. I don't know what I'm going to do. Gotta go now. See you in a few days..." Hopefully, the woman next to you is part gold-digger, part mothering instinct gone wild: "Excuse me, sir, but are you all right?" (Big sniff) "Yeah, I'll be okay. It's just been a rough couple of days." Blah, blah, blah. I should charge you for this info, but in the interest of foreign relations, it's a freebie.
    But since Kate has her own money, I think the gay friend thing would work better. Hey, it's KATE BECKINSALE, for Pete's sake! What guy wouldn't do anything if there was even a sliver of a chance to...

Quote Originally Posted by sifutofu View Post
    No. No. No. You can't be lookin' at 'em all hungry and stuff. Especially if they make the needle on the babe-o-meter dig in on the far right side, and stick there. You have to ease up on 'em. Maybe you might pretend to be gay (this probably takes some guts), be their shopping buddy, etc. Then maybe , just maybe, you'll find yourself sitting with her on the edge of her bed, while she pours out her grief to you about how some guy did her wrong. The next thing you know, she'll be telling you how wonderful you are, and how she forgets sometimes that you're gay (which of course, you're not). Then, you gotta do some fancy talking, like, "Oh, Steph, sometimes you make me forget that I'm gay, too!" Or, better yet, get yourself some scrubs, a stethoscope, and a pager. Park yourself at a local bar, when you know the lovely ladies will be having a drink. Have your pager number on speed dial. When a woman you want to get to know sits within earshot of you, hit speed-dial to page yourself. Check your pager, maybe utter a curse word or two, then pretend to dial a number on your phone. Now, here you have to have your lines memorized: "Dammit, nurse, did you really put your heart into resuscitating her?" (Fake some tears here. Let your voice become all emotional). "I know! I know! Never allow yourself to become attached to them! Huh? I'm having a drink, or something. I don't know what I'm going to do. Gotta go now. See you in a few days..." Hopefully, the woman next to you is part gold-digger, part mothering instinct gone wild: "Excuse me, sir, but are you all right?" (Big sniff) "Yeah, I'll be okay. It's just been a rough couple of days." Blah, blah, blah. I should charge you for this info, but in the interest of foreign relations, it's a freebie.
    But since Kate has her own money, I think the gay friend thing would work better. Hey, it's KATE BECKINSALE, for Pete's sake! What guy wouldn't do anything if there was even a sliver of a chance to...
    5/5 post.

I haven't watched it. I'll wait for the blu-ray. It's probably unwatchable for me because I've already read the short story version of it like a million times.

Quote Originally Posted by Caedus View Post
    5/5 post.

I haven't watched it. I'll wait for the blu-ray. It's probably unwatchable for me because I've already read the short story version of it like a million times.
    You've never seen the Total Recall movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Quote Originally Posted by sifutofu View Post
    it's KATE BECKINSALE, for Pete's sake! What guy wouldn't do anything if there was even a sliver of a chance to...
    Me. Not a fan. I find her quite annoying, at least in the films I've seen her in.
    Although I can say the same about Farrell and Biel.
    Farrell seems to be improving slightly with age, but in all honesty that's not hard to do.
    This film is a bit of a realised nightmare for me as I saw the Verhoeven version in the cinema and loved it (I was about 19 at the time). When I saw the cast for this I shook my head and pinched myself.
    I won't bad mouth this version as I haven't seen it, but instinct tells me I won't like it.
    Last edited by kahnovitch; September 21st, 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    Farrell seems to be improving slightly with age, but in all honesty that's not hard to do.
    I never used to be much of a fan, but I thought he was hilarious in Horrible Bosses and I really enjoyed his performance in the remake of Fright Night.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    I never used to be much of a fan, but I thought he was hilarious in Horrible Bosses and I really enjoyed his performance in the remake of Fright Night.
    Agreed. I do like him in more comedic roles when he's not taking himself too seriously. He was good in "In Bruges" too.