Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for violent assassin books!

Hi, can anybody give me any recommendations for action packed, violent assassiv/thief books? I particularly loved The Night Angel triligy by Brent Weeks, and Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. I am about to read the Lies of Locke Lamora but have struggled to really find any more books that are violent and cunning etc. Cheers

The Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust are pretty good.

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb feature an assassin, but not over the top violence and action like the Night Angel novels.

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson are also really good. Not assassins, but good action and magic.

Also, if you haven't tried Joe Abercrombie yet, give him a try. The First Law Trilogy is great. I just finished Best Serverd Cold which is set in the same world and loved it.

BTS

Ah ok, thanks for your reply!

Have just bought a few books from ebay, but when I've read them, the Joe Abercrombie books are next on my list as the reviews on amazon suggest they're the closest thing I'm likely to find. Having only just got into this genre of adventure book I'm actually really surprised at how timid the scene is - it's so hard to find anything that verges on adult violence. Among Thieves and Night Angel trilogy were perfect in that sense, but now, after reading 1800 pages in a week and a half, I feel like I've read the best the genre has to offer.

That said, I do love adventure books, especially with magic, but they have to be gritty. Anything along the lines of lord of the rings is up my street. Just really into this violent assassin type stuff right now hahaha.

Thanks for replying.

You're looking for a book about purple assassins? What the...

Is that a really bad joke or have you mis-read the word 'violent' ?

Definitely give Matt Stover's Caine series a shot, starting with Heroes Die and then Blade of Tyshalle.

Quote Originally Posted by raz192 View Post
    Is that a really bad joke or have you mis-read the word 'violent' ?
    Yes????!?!?

ACTUALLY, Thirsty was just trying to see how many people (like me) read the thread three times looking for the word violet. He's got this software for it and everything. It's pretty cool. Real James Bond stuff.

Urban Fantasy series Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep might be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by B T Stack View Post
    The Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust are pretty good.

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb feature an assassin, but not over the top violence and action like the Night Angel novels.

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson are also really good. Not assassins, but good action and magic.

Also, if you haven't tried Joe Abercrombie yet, give him a try. The First Law Trilogy is great. I just finished Best Serverd Cold which is set in the same world and loved it.

BTS
    I agree that you'll find much to like in Mistborn. Brandon Sanderson's writing oozes with the same cunning, precision, and violence as Weeks.

I also agree with Brust. A bit older but if you're looking for an elite assassin chasing after high-level targets, Brust's work is good.

I'm not sure Abercrombie's First Law trilogy fits your description, but if you like violence you'll get plenty. His Best Served Cold stand-alone novel does fit your description.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is excellent, but is far more Mission Impossible fantasy than assassin fantasy. With that said, I'd recommend it.

In the Shadow of Swords by Val Gunn. Exactly what you are looking for.

Thank you so much everyone!!

I agree with Heroes Die by Stover. You cant get a better violent assassin series than that.

Another vote for the Caine series by Matt Stover. Matt writes bomb fight scenes and his characters, especially Caine are just plain awesome.

The forth installment (Caine's Law, formerly His Fathers Fist) is due out next Feb.

I can't recall too many books along these lines, though I haven't been reading much Fantasy prior to the last year. One book that hasn't yet been mentioned is "The Skewed Throne" by Joshua Palmatier. I found it to be a quick read with only one POV. The story was straightforward and flowed logically, with few plot threads. I definitely wouldn't call it as good as Weeks' Trilogy, it was the debut by Palmatier as well, but the subject is what you're looking for. Here's the sffworld review:

http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/507.html