Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    Jonathan strange and mr norrell sequel?

    Has anyone heard about how or if the sequel is still being written? I would love to know. It's my absolute favorite book and I'm dying to know whether or not a sequel is in the cards.

  2. #2
    Eh...not responding to your actual question but to the frightening title: a sequel to one of the most, well, boring stories I've ever read...the neverending story it would be more aptly named. And now mayhap a sequel...or were you being ironic when you were being hopeful about it?

    Cheers,

    Sfinx

  3. #3
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Hobbit Towers, England
    Posts
    11,532
    Blog Entries
    126
    It's quite a dense novel, admittedly: I found I could only read it in small doses, and there were stories within stories that could break the book down into sections.

    But each to their own, sfinx!

    Mark
    Mark

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    But each to their own, sfinx!
    Oh, aye...i know there's at least one active contributor to this forum who does NOT think PG Wodehouse is funny...It takes all sorts to make a worlds as i'm wont to say And even stranger, there's people who do not enjoy Sherlock Holmes...which, oddly enough, is one of Sussana Clarke's favorite books...

    Cheers,

    Sfinx.

  5. #5
    There is no tomorrow RedMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Posts
    1,421
    The only way I was able to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was to listen to it as a book on tape. I tried to actually read the big huge book but I found it really boring, not to mention much larger than the normal 4oo to 700 page books I usually read. So difficult language I was unaccustomed to, plus dense plotting and a larger, physical book all added up to be quite daunting and even the exciting bits I found while reading became boring. But listening to it...I couldn't get enough! If there is a sequel I would be very interested in it. But only once it gets recorded and I can listen to it!

  6. #6
    Some very quick research [mostly wiki, admittedly] turns up nothing, I'm afraid. Interviews and such definitely state that Clarke was working on such a book at one point [as you new already], but so far as I can tell there's been no news at all and Clarke has not published anything of any kind since early 2007.

    Evidently Strange and Norrell itself took the author ... I forget exactly, but I think it was ten years. So we could be waiting some time, I guess...

  7. #7
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,488
    There hasn't been any announcement of definite arrival. However, there is the short story collection, if you haven't read that, The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories, which are all stories set in that universe. I've read some of the stories from that and they are quite good. Clarke's homage to Trollope, Dickens and Austen was quite right on the money, and the humor in footnotes, etc., was very Wodehouse. She is working on a sequel, but I don't know if she's also working in publishing right now, and if she is, then writing time is highly limited. So no news yet.

  8. #8
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
    Eh...not responding to your actual question but to the frightening title: a sequel to one of the most, well, boring stories I've ever read...the neverending story it would be more aptly named. And now mayhap a sequel...or were you being ironic when you were being hopeful about it?

    Cheers,

    Sfinx
    Boring? Only for the ADHD generation!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Boring? Only for the ADHD generation!
    Ah m8, when i grew up (early seventies) the term wasn't even known can't blame the generation for this one! And to be fair, i did like Clarke's writing and wit; but the way the story just shuffled on like Glokta on a bad day...wasn't for me.

    Cheers,

    Sfinx.

  10. #10
    Repudiated Ursus s271's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fifth level of the Dungeon of Doom
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
    but the way the story just shuffled on like Glokta on a bad day...
    What a terrific idea! I'd like to have Glokta in that universe very much!
    Think about it:
    Susanna Clark and Joe Abercrombie present:
    The blade of Jonahtan Strange
    The Keepers of Secrets awoke in the depth of the Faerie. They watch. They whisper. They wait. The stability of the Universe is in danger. Only ruthless will, sharp blade and even sharper mind can preserve The Order of Things. And England too.

    Only utter dedication can preserve one's sanity in the dive into the depth of magic abstractions in the search of the ultimate equation. Only unwavering discipline can make abstraction into weapon to save the world.
    Read book two:
    Inquisitor Glokta and Mr Norrell
    Last edited by s271; August 11th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by s271 View Post
    What a terrific idea! I'd like to have Glokta in that universe very much!
    Think about it:
    Susanna Clark and Joe Abercrombie present:
    The blade of Jonahtan Strange
    The Keepers of Secrets awoke in the depth of the Faerie. They watch. They whisper. They wait. The stability of the Universe is in danger. Only ruthless will, sharp blade and even sharper mind can preserve The Order of Things. And England too.

    Only utter dedication can preserve one's sanity in the dive into the depth of magic abstractions in the search of the ultimate equation. Only unwavering discipline can make abstraction into weapon to save the world.
    Read book two:
    Inquisitor Glokta and Mr Norrell
    Lol. I guess John Childermass and Shivers would get along nicely And a certain thistle-down haired gentleman is in his temper and actions not that different from an (albeit bald) sorcerous character going by the name of Bayaz...

    Valid question actually: if all NCIS characters can appear in each other's series, why not fantasy characters? Or is this already going on?

    Cheers,

    Sfinx

  12. #12
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Hobbit Towers, England
    Posts
    11,532
    Blog Entries
    126
    all NCIS characters can appear in each other's series, why not fantasy characters? Or is this already going on?
    Oh, it does: look under metafiction. See also authors such as Philip Jose Farmer and especially Kim Newman's books, whose work often includes other people's characters, some obvious, others quite obscure.

    Mark
    Mark

  13. #13
    Boring? Only for the ADHD generation!

    bull, I've got ADHD and I've read the book five or six times. Maybe more.

  14. #14
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,488
    I think it would be good for those with ADHD, because you can jump to the footnotes. Also, people with ADHD sometimes have trouble with reading but others with the condition are often brilliant at reading.

    Anyway, I would very much like a sequel, since the ending of the book was somewhat open and I want to see how certain problems might or might not be solved in the plot.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
    Oh, aye...i know there's at least one active contributor to this forum who does NOT think PG Wodehouse is funny...
    I resemble that remark, but ...

    It takes all sorts to make a worlds as i'm wont to say And even stranger, there's people who do not enjoy Sherlock Holmes...which, oddly enough, is one of Sussana Clarke's favorite books...

    Cheers,

    Sfinx.
    ... I enjoyed the Clarke greatly and, a rarity for me, would welcome a sequel, and have been an admirer of Doyle's creation for most of my life.

    So there.


    Randy M.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •