Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gainespost View Post
    I've only read a few of Tad Williams's books; "Tailchaser's Song" and the "Dragbone Chair" series and one other, whose name escapes me. But I really like his prose; he's a good writer. 'Looking forward to reading more by him; I know price he has some other series out there that have gotten high praise. 'Glad to hear he's still putting new books out.

This seems to be interesting! can't wait to have it...
    Last edited by rawan33; September 9th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

My local Barnes and Noble didn't have it out on Wednesday.

Will check back this weekend..otherwise, I will just order on Amazon.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    My local Barnes and Noble didn't have it out on Wednesday.

Will check back this weekend..otherwise, I will just order on Amazon.
    Same here. Probably wait until Abercrombie's latest is out and get both at the same time.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    I am about three quarters of the way through this and have to say I have enjoyed it very much. Yes there are comparisons to Dresden, and maybe in some ways they are right. But it has its own speed and style that is not Harry. I really like Bobby, he is a good first voice. He is also my kind of angel in the fact he is always questioning things. He doesn't completely drink the kool-aid that Heaven is offering. The middle was a little slow, but now towards the end I am having trouble putting it down. I loved Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, and now I think I am really going to love this one, even though they are completely different. If you like any kind of urban fantasy like the Dresden files or one of the many others out there I believe you will like this one. Since I am pretty agnostic myself I do like the fact Williams doesn't beat you over the head with the religion thing. Like I said Bobby has lots of questions, which doesn't make his job as an angel any easier, but I like the fact he is a tad bit of a rebel

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, sic!

Always pleased when people like a book as much as I do: and I think you've echoed with much of what I thought.

Mark
    Mark

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Well Mark I finished the book and have to say I really liked it. I do like the fact it had an ending, but I can't wait to read the second one. I am curious to see if there will be an overriding arc to the trilogy and what it will be. But as I have read elsewhere it can be read as a standalone, but I for one can't wait for the rest of it. Bobby is a great character, very human for an angel

Good to hear Sic, my copy from Amazon just arrived today.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well Mark I finished the book and have to say I really liked it.
    Pleased.

A rather middling review in SFX Magazine I received today seemed to dislike all the things I liked: I liked the backstory, I liked the piling up of ideas throughout, I liked the arc/ending.... they didn't. Tastes vary, I guess.

I have to say that a lot of Urban Fantasy I like, though rarely enthusiastically. This one, I really liked: and was quite surprised for doing so, though as I generally like Tad's writing, perhaps I shouldn't have been...

Mark
    Mark

I also really liked this one my only problem with it is the romance of it i found it force like ha had to get them together but dint know how. Other than that i liked it a lot will be looking forward for the next one

I started reading this about a week ago and finished up last night. I struggled with enjoying the characters until I got further into the story and Williams had more time to develop the backstory. Once those were established, it allowed me to appreciate aspects of the characters that I did not bond with initially. By the time I reached the end, I had been won over by Dollar and the supporting cast. The only thing I didn't get behind was the 'sex scenes'. I felt they were empty and lacked impact. Like mentioned by Alucard above, it felt forced. However, I did not mind Dollar's feelings toward
    Spoiler:
    Caz
    and look forward to the impact of their relationship in future books to the overall story arc.

I felt the ending was good, I am glad that Dollar
    Spoiler:
    let Sam go, I felt it was consistent with his character development
    . However, I do feel that this book does not work well as a standalone. Yes, some threads were closed at the end, but not enough. I felt the driving force of this book's story was
    Spoiler:
    the missing souls. While we find out where they go, I do not feel there is enough discovered to consider having resolution

My enjoyment level of the book is similar to the first book of the Dresden Files. A solid first step into a world that should become more interesting as more is revealed. I am a little disappointed though that this will only be a trilogy. I feel the pacing is just hitting its stride and there is a lot that could be explored with the relationships of various figures and factions in both Heaven and Hell to flesh out the story even further. Of course, perhaps Williams will find time to do justice to all that can be done in two more books, we shall find out.