I feel a little guilty.

So I just read today that Martha Wells is going to be writing a Star Wars book, something which she is ecstatic about, since she's been a Star Wars fan for ages, apparently writing fanfic for it even.

And I'm happy for her, but...I can't help but feel a little annoyed, since I am not interested in Star Wars fiction, and it takes her away from writing something I would want.

And it's not just her. Why is George RR Martin going to cons and editing crap about Mars instead of writing the rest of A Song of Ice and Fire?

Why isn't Jim Butcher writing a new fantasy series instead of churning out endless Dresden novels?

Where's my next Guy Gavriel Kay novel, does the bastard think he's on vacation or something?

Can't Margaret Weis pay her bills on anything other than Dragonlance crap? The Death Gate Cycle was fantastic!

....ah....yeah.

I know it's unreasonable, and selfish, but man. These people need to get their priorities straight! Know what I'm saying?

George R.R. Martin is not your Bitch and the video. Right, quite simply, GRRM was writing and editing anthologies long before he wrote ASOIAF and before any of that he was a fan. He's not going to stop doing what he likes.

Butcher DOES write things other than The Dresden Files, the Codex Alera series which finished up (I think) last year.

Guy Gavriel Kay has rarely written on an annual schedule.

Many authors write in shared worlds and/or tie-ins largely because it pays fairly well and they like the property.

Rob...I would have thought the smileys and the last line of my post would have made it clear it was meant to be humorous and tongue-in-cheek.

...guess not.

It's sort of a knee jerk reaction at this point when people mention that GRRM should be writing the next ASOIAF novel rather than anything else (you know, like breathing and blinking). It comes up very often and more often than not, it is not intended as joke.