Help...Sandcasters, Ice Armor

so this was years ago....and i bought it on a whim i think any way the only details of the books i remember were as follows:
    Split Space/Marine ground combat
    the Ships fighting were merchant ships being forced to fight because of loses i -think- and they used Sand casters to counter laser weapons as well as having their hulls coated in ice as a form of armor.
    on the ground i think the main marine character was a woman and most of the marines with her were former Miners conscripted because the war wasn't going well.....i think the whole thing ended on a cliffhanger after the main characters get trapped behind enemy lines.

err also hello and thank you in advance to any one who happens to know the name is this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuke View Post
    so this was years ago....and i bought it on a whim i think any way the only details of the books i remember were as follows:
    Split Space/Marine ground combat
    the Ships fighting were merchant ships being forced to fight because of loses i -think- and they used Sand casters to counter laser weapons as well as having their hulls coated in ice as a form of armor.
    on the ground i think the main marine character was a woman and most of the marines with her were former Miners conscripted because the war wasn't going well.....i think the whole thing ended on a cliffhanger after the main characters get trapped behind enemy lines.

err also hello and thank you in advance to any one who happens to know the name is this one.
    Sandcasters to counter lasers is something straight out of the Traveller SF role-playing game. I think the book in Question is "The Death of Wisdom" by Paul Brunette. Or maybe Diaspora Phoenix by Martin J Dougherty

http://www.amazon.com/The-Death-Wisd...isdom+brunette

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15095.phtml

Jim

it wasn't traveler sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuke View Post
    it wasn't traveler sadly.
    Well that leaves me stumped. Your whole description screams Traveller. I hope some one else knows what this is.

Sorry for the late reply but I recently read a few books in the Star Carrier series by Ian Douglas and they use sandcasters as offensive and defensive weapons quite a bit. Although the ships are decidedly military. He also has a another series called star marines i think. Maybe its one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Sorry for the late reply but I recently read a few books in the Star Carrier series by Ian Douglas and they use sandcasters as offensive and defensive weapons quite a bit. Although the ships are decidedly military. He also has a another series called star marines i think. Maybe its one of those.
    Also some of the ships have a "shield cap" containing water to absorb kinetic attacks. When breached they spew ice vapour and geysers of rapidly freezing water.

Re: Traveller, Douglas (William H. Keith) wrote Traveller RPG materials in the early 80s for FASA. Thus the sandcasters.