Thread: Hello

Hello

My name is Galliana and my boyfriend has just had his first book published on Kindle and I read it - although I didn't want to because I thought Fantasy wasn't my thing - however I really loved it and can't wait for the next one to be finished.

So I thought I'd join a forum or 2 to get some suggestions of other good fantasy books I could try as a new fantasy girl!!

Thank you in advance for any help :-)

Hi Galliana!

Congrats to your boyfriend, and welcome to the forums and the genre!

There are many, many, many books to choose from when you talk about fantasy, with very different tones. Could you tell us a bit more about what you liked about the book you read? It would help folks give you better recommendations.

I would start with the Hobbit, especially with the films coming out soon.

I have always been put off reading the Hobbit and the LOTR books after trying to read it as a teenager and not getting into it?

James' book has a good plot, although clearly there is something more going on which you don't get to know in book one (but I have my suspicions but no amount of bribery is getting it out of him!! lol) It focuses on 3 seemingly normal late teen kids and follows their journeys into a world of magic, fighting and 'Dark Ones'...

I am not sure if this helps? lol

I have just ordered A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones (Reissue)

Any good?

very good, enjoy.

i would also have a look at David Eddings, Belgariad series. very enjoyable, not as heavy as a game of thrones and some great laugh out loud moments. Excellent if you are just starting out in the genre.

I second the recommendation by Ochos of the Belgariad series as good, clean, fun reading and a great intro to the basic tropes of the fantasy genre. Also, Terry Brooks' first Shannara trilogy (esp. Elfstones of Shannara) is a good place to start the genre, for the same reason. You can work yourself up to more complex fantasy works from there. Happy reading!

Blog Entries
    I also think that the Belgariad would be a good starting point, for all the reasons already stated and also because it's not so jaw-droppingly great that everything that you read after would be a disappointment. What I mean is if I had started with, say, Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker (which is one of my all-time faves), my expectations might be a little too high for what I read after. You know what I mean?

I would suggest Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series as a good one for a newbie to fantasy to get into. Some humour and romance as well as fantasy elements.

A series I really enjoyed.

Or, if you like dragons, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.

I would say start with Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. Nice easy reading! Ok ok, I am kidding.

I will eccho starting with Terry Brooks. The story moves fast and is not complex like Martin.