Farewell David Eddings, and thank you.

So recently I've been trolling the Barnes and Noble website, trying to find new books to read. My first step is always to search for known authors to see if they've got anything new in the works. Noting it's been a while since I'd seen anything from Eddings, I took the extra step of googling him, at which point I learned that he'd passed away.

Thank you, David, for several great reads, may you find a blue stone waiting for you wherever you have gone.

Some of the members shared their fond memories of Mr. Eddings here:

David Eddings (1931-2009)

Though I never read him, I recognize his importance in many other readers' personal echelon of authors.

Thanks for that link, Rob. It was good to read others' farewells. I've been an Eddings defender for longer than I can remember, and it was nice (though it shouldn't have been surprising) to see others sharing my feelings about him.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I took the extra step of googling him, at which point I learned that he'd passed away.
    Can't believe it's been 3 years.... sorry to hear how you found out, Lord P: it's happened to me and can be rather a shock!

Mark
    Mark

Just read all the posts in the links. Tolkien was my first read in the fantasy genre i was a child at the time so i didnt know it was a genre. Later in life David and Leigh Eddings then introduced me into fantasy worlds, adventures, fantastic characters, plots, stories and the idea of a series I could follow. there are a lot of posts saying Eddings were peoples first read in fantasy and i must say if it wasnt for David and Leigh i probably wouldn't be in this forum now.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ochos: Like you, there's a lot of readers out there who were introduced to the genre by Eddings, I think. If they stay with the genre a lot of them move on, but those first reads are never forgotten, nor the people who wrote them.

I've heard similar tales about Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey (even though she saw Pern as SF herself), The Hobbit....

Mark
    Mark