Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HeclaBull View Post
    IMO, it has some of the same problems as TtH in that there's too much philosophizing and internal-monologuing...
    Interesting, as those two points are what I love about his writing. Looking forward to reading FoD at some point in the future.
    Last edited by dsana123; September 24th, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added quoted poster name.

Quote Originally Posted by dsana123 View Post
    Interesting, as those two points are what I love about his writing. Looking forward to reading FoD at some point in the future.
    For some reason this bothered me in TtH but not in FoD.

I'm about 1/2 into the book and it is a bit of a meandering novel. The details are intimate and character focused with a wider view if that makes sense. I'm enjoying it, but haven't had the opportunity to read it in large chunks of time, and unfortunately for me, this seems a novel that I'd want to read in large chunks of time.

It isn't bad, in fact, the opposite.

I'm about halfway through too and am really enjoying it. It feels a bit different from the other novels, but I think that is a good thing. Not that I didn't enjoy the MBotF, quite the opposite.

The meandering-ness of the novel didn't go away and I just wasn't a fan of this novel. I felt as if the plot wasn't going anywhere and as the novel progressed, the characters began to mesh together for me.

Maybe the timing of when I read this was the culprit as to why I didn't enjoy it.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Rob,

I've only read the first five chapters and then whatever chapters I could read while inside the store, but that was very much my impression as well.

In the end I decided to give this new series a pass for now. I may return to it if book 2 comes out and I hear very good thingsm but for now, it definetly had some elements I liked, but already in these chapters I was skipping stuff.

THANK YOU Mithf, I really thought I was the only one because I've seen very little negative response to Forge of Darkness in the intarweb circles I've been traveling.

I loved the entire Malazan books of the Fallen.
    It's rare when an author can actually bring and end to such an epic tale.
    But, I thought Erikson did it as well as any human could.
    I was a little sad at all the characters that didn't get written into the end, but I was content that he did give us closure on the Bridgeburners. They were the characters I cared most about, so I was happy to see how it ended.

I get emails from book sellers I buy from, telling me about books they think I might be interested in.
    I've had several from them about these other Malazan related books and after checking them out to see what they are about, I just can't bring myself to even want to read them.
    Back stories ?
    Just can't find the desire in me after the end of the Bridgeburners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    THANK YOU Mithf, I really thought I was the only one because I've seen very little negative response to Forge of Darkness in the intarweb circles I've been traveling.
    I understand and somewhat agree with this criticism, though it didn't impact me as much as it did you. I referenced it a bit in my review, though it was only a line or two among many. I think that the main reason for this is there are way too many POVs in this book. This is not a new problem with Erikson, so I've long ago learned to live with it. I suspect as the series moves forward this will seem like less of an issue as we continue to get to know the characters better, but I'd sure like to see Erikson reduce the number of POVs he uses in his writing.

Quote Originally Posted by kcf View Post
    I think that the main reason for this is there are way too many POVs in this book. This is not a new problem with Erikson, so I've long ago learned to live with it. I suspect as the series moves forward this will seem like less of an issue as we continue to get to know the characters better, but I'd sure like to see Erikson reduce the number of POVs he uses in his writing.
    It didn't seem there were too many character POVs initially, but for whatever reason, things seemed to unravel in a negative way for me with the multiple POVs this time 'round (and I didn't have problems with that in earlier Malazan novels or GRRM or Jordan). Again, it may have been a timing thing with when I was reading it.

Not sure if I'm willing to go back to this three book series in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    It didn't seem there were too many character POVs initially, but for whatever reason, things seemed to unravel in a negative way for me with the multiple POVs this time 'round (and I didn't have problems with that in earlier Malazan novels or GRRM or Jordan). Again, it may have been a timing thing with when I was reading it.

Not sure if I'm willing to go back to this three book series in the future.
    The problem I had with there being a lot of POVs in this is that with the heavy amount of internal philosophizing that each character did, it would take awhile for me to be able to get into a character's story and feel invested, and much of the time when I would finally start getting interested in a certain character's plotline, that section of POV would end and I'd have to start the cycle again with a different character.

Thanks to hurricane Sandy I was able to have the time to finish this over the weekend. Sitting in a cold dark house reading a book with darkness as its main theme. Really enjoyed it - looking forward to the next one.

I am about halfway through. It meanders but it seems to tie together (even halfway through). I only read the first two to the previous series (I couldn't get going on the third book). Anyway if this is just a trilogy, it seems good so far. Pretty lyrical. I couldn't read it all the time but it is working for me now.
    I must say Erikson's writing style seems to be - why use one word if ten will do.