Thread: Impulse Buy

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Impulse Buy

So...not really an impulse-buy, but sort of...

I heard the Nook came out with the new "glowlight" feature and my mental-antennae went up. Glowlight, I thought, exactly the sort of feature I complained the Kindle didn't have when I bought it (and subsequently returned)?

For about two and half years now, I've been reading via the Kindle app on my iPhone.

I really like reading on my iPhone, except the screen is a little smallish. So, I've been looking at eReaders, but I haven't been happy with any. I purchased the Kindle ($79 version) a few months ago, but discovered I didn't like the buttons (made clicky noises, too loud for husband sleeping in bed next to me), and I couldn't use it in the dark. So, I returned it. I kept my eye out for other eReaders and even started contemplating getting a tablet, but I really didn't want to go there. I wanted to be able to just read in bed in the dark comfortably and silently. I don't want all the other internet-stuff (which I can get via my computer or laptop).

But then I saw the "glow".

This afternoon, my husband took me out to lunch and then afterward we went to our local Barnes and Noble to get him a magazine. I was hovering around the Nook display case and a pimple-faced salesman accosted me.

I wasn't offended.

Five minutes later, my husband and I walked away with an eReader: the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.

It is still in the box. I haven't torn into it, so I can just turn right around and return it, but before I open it up and start downloading a bunch of books (like I did with the Kindle and then had to return it), what say you? Has anyone gotten one? Are you happy with it?

I don't have the glow-light version, but I'm perfectly happy with my simple touch. It's no-frills, but in the eReader market, it's about as close to just having a book in your hands as anything I've seen...and for me, no-frills was a selling-point.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    ... no-frills was a selling-point.
    Right! Which is what I wanted except for those two things: no clicky buttons to go click in the dark and I wanted to be able to read in the dark.

I played with the Nook last night and I am very happy with it. Took a bit to get the WiFi connected (just had to re-boot it and it was fine), but after that it was smooth as silk. Love it!

Now, I have to get all my epub books on it. I'll do that tonight.